Convert mp4 files to avi without losing quality

vbimport

Hello,
Would you please tell me any software that converts mp4 files to avi without losing any quality of picture or sound.

Not sure on the software, I haven’t messed with mp4. Kinda misread mp4, so I’m stuck with writing an semi-stupid post, LOL.

Absolutely no loss? You’d be wanting a lossless video codec, like Huffyuv or Lagarith.

But those are meant for capture, or preserving quality while processing and editing, they aren’t designed for viewing. They are pretty big files, and I don’t think they’ll hold the audio. Although I suspect you might be able to put it together with the original audio, using a container file. (But don’t ask me what).

Other than that, you will see some loss, any time you convert to a different compressed format, but you can minimise it. I’ll leave the codec advice to others who have more experience with that stuff. (And who don’t misread things, heh).

On the other hand, I see that mp4 is (sometimes? always?) a container format. And you can probably switch it to another container format, without loss, if you don’t recompress). (Or I might get roasted for that one). You’d still need the codec for playing mp4.

The most important question, is what do you want to do with it? That’ll affect your choice.

AviDemux should be able to do this for you with no loss. Do a simple Copy of both video and audio streams. Set the output to AVI, and when you make a filename, use an avi extension.

[QUOTE=samrat_naresh;2302703]Hello,
Would you please tell me any software that converts mp4 files to avi without losing any quality of picture or sound.[/QUOTE]
I too need the same one.If you get pls help me.

[QUOTE=dorababu717;2304203]I too need the same one.If you get pls help me.[/QUOTE]

Have you even read the answers??

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2302756]AviDemux should be able to do this for you with no loss. Do a simple Copy of both video and audio streams. Set the output to AVI, and when you make a filename, use an avi extension.[/QUOTE]

Hello one and all. I’ve already tried a few of the free ‘MP4 (MPEG-4?) to AVI’ apps on the job I’m currently tackling, and a heckuva lot of quality is lost in translation. So, I’m now willing to look at some of the other options.

Kerry56’s idea above sounds like a smart and sly way to circumvent the problem. I have the [B]Avidemux[/B] program open right now…Is there someone around at the moment who could please walk me through the whole ‘saving and merging of independent streams’ thing? Thank you.

[QUOTE=GreenTNHoney;2454333]Hello one and all. I’ve already tried a few of the free ‘MP4 (MPEG-4?) to AVI’ apps on the job I’m currently tackling, and a heckuva lot of quality is lost in translation. So, I’m now willing to look at some of the other options.

Kerry56’s idea above sounds like a smart and sly way to circumvent the problem. I have the [B]Avidemux[/B] program open right now…Is there someone around at the moment who could please walk me through the whole ‘saving and merging of independent streams’ thing? Thank you.[/QUOTE]

I’m happy to read that that this [B]Avidemux[/B] program also handles the much rarer .mkv and .ogm formats. That would be great if I could just use one app to do everything, and do it with comparable quality. I’ll need to produce three or four .avi’s, using a few .mkv, .ogm and .mp4 files as the sources. But, I don’t know if I’m able to get through this project with only the few hints give to me in Kerry56’s above post.

I currently have the [B]Avidemux[/B] program up and running, with the ‘Video’ value on the left of the screen set at ‘Copy’ and the ‘Audio’ value underneath that also set at ‘Copy’. I’ve hit the play button and a ‘Frame’ and ‘Time’ counter begins ticking off at the bottom. Am I meant to now let this thing run through to the very end, and then ‘Save’ the final product as a new .avi file? PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

Can someone [I]please[/I] give me a hand with this? I’ve been trying a bunch of things, but none of it has delivered to me a functional .avi file as end product…Please have mercy and lend a hand. This is muy frustrato.

Saving an .mkv or .mp4 file in this way is not guaranteed to work, since they may have certain characteristics that are not supported in an avi file. Some codecs may not work well in an avi container, H264 being a prime example. Also variable bit audio can be problematic in avi files, no support for menus, etc. etc.

If you have a plain-jane mp4 file using xvid or divx video and ac3 or mp3 stereo audio, you can do this simple conversion in AviDemux, without reencoding.

You may be better off using the video encoding capabilities of AviDemux, depending on your source. Sorry if I seem vague, but it really depends on what you are starting with and what your target is.

Thanks for the reply. The situation is this. What I’m looking to convert is a concert which inconveniently happens to be in the MPEG-4 (MP4) format. I want to convert this file to AVI so that I can burn it to disc, [I]along with[/I] the three or four other concerts that I have here, and which are [I]already[/I] in the AVI format.

I have already loaded the MPEG-4 concert file into the Avidemux program. The ‘H.264 detected’ notification popped up, and I choose [I]not[/I] to switch to the alternate mode, because the note told me that I would lose ‘frame accuracy’. With the next notification pop-up, I [I]did[/I] select the Main Audio track as my singular source for audio.

On the left of the main interface I see values for ‘Video’, ‘Audio’ and ‘Format’. The ‘Video’ value on the left of the screen is set at ‘Copy’ and the ‘Audio’ value underneath that is also set at ‘Copy’. [B]What do I do at this point?[/B]

If I hit the play button the ‘Frame’ and ‘Time’ counter at the botttom begins ticking off. Am I meant to play/record the file and let it run through to the very end, saving the final product as a new .avi file? Am I looking at a scenario similar to CloneDVD or DVDShrink, with some type of re-recording? Do I need to worry about the ‘Set Marker A & B’ stuff? Please help me out with a brief walkthrough of the conversion.

I wouldn’t put H264 in an avi file, but apparently it can be done.
What type of audio is it? If it is AAC I don’t think you can do a straight copy.

If you want to try this do this procedure…open the file, [B]USE[/B] the alternative mode unless you are making cuts, then select main audio track. Set Video to Copy. Audio to Copy. Format to AVI. Next, click File, then Save–>Save Video. Make a name for the file with an .avi file extension. Then start the process by clicking Save at the bottom of the window.

Hmmm, I just tried that procedure and the video and audio are a bit spastic. It converts, but you might want to try without the alternative mode as an experiment. I’ll do another test.

Nope…still glitchy. Will experiment a bit and get back to you.

@ GreenTNHoney, is your goal being able to play said disk on a standalone player that can handle AVI? If so be aware that most of these want DivX or XviD and a lot of them can’t handle VBR audio. You might have to bite the bullet and re-encode.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2454607]I wouldn’t put H264 in an avi file, but apparently it can be done.
What type of audio is it? If it is AAC I don’t think you can do a straight copy.

If you want to try this do this procedure…open the file, [B]USE[/B] the alternative mode unless you are making cuts, then select main audio track. Set Video to Copy. Audio to Copy. Format to AVI. Next, click File, then Save–>Save Video. Make a name for the file with an .avi file extension. Then start the process by clicking Save at the bottom of the window.[/QUOTE]

I’m following your ‘Save’ directions at present. But, I believe I’ve already tried this exact procedure twice…and what resulted from it was a file that had the properties of a 1.4 GB AVI…But, when I opened the file inside of my DIVX player, the only thing visible is a green screen that doesn’t even play. You can manually move the file from one minute to the next…but it doesn’t ‘play’ on its own.

I just finished saving another trial by this same method. It says that the save was successful. I actually can’t figure out how to open these files once they’ve been saved. Can’t find the storage folder that belongs to this new program…So, instead, I’ve been opening the new saves by bringing up the ‘File to Save’ window once again, and then just finding my last save that way…then, dropping the avi into my DIVX player.

The new save is finished. The result of the current save is the same deal as last…just a green screen that doesn’t/can’t play. The file says that its a 1.24 GB video. The total time reads at 1:06:32…But it’s functionless. What’s the next move, friend? Should I try altering the values for the ‘Video’ and ‘Audio’ values on the left side of the main interface? Thanks again. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

I think you’ll have to reencode this file. You can use AviDemux for this process and make an Xvid avi file with MP3 audio. Look for those options in the drop down boxes of Video and Audio.

You can also use Handbrake if you are familiar with it.

What resolution are you starting with? If you want to play this on a stand alone dvd player, and you are in the US, the resolution you want is 720 x 480.

That occurred to me a little late I’m afraid. If you have 1280 x 720 HD video to begin with, you have no chance of playing it on a regular dvd player. It has to be reencoded to 720 x 480 or smaller.

You sound like you’re ready to throw the towel in on this idea? Only you know if this has worked before with other, similar situations. When you mentioned it initially above, it sounded like a viable way to circumvent/avoid the course of having to use myriad conversion programs which have thrice left me with horribly weak videos.

I want to retain the quality of a mpeg-4 file, but also be able to save the new file alongside my other avi concert files on a DVD+R. My main goal is to convert the file and then save the new file on a DVD+R with other similar concert files. I don’t really care about being able to play the files on an external DVD player. In my experience, that usually depends on the capabilities of the DVD player itself, and not the properties of the file or disc that I’m using. Some DVD players can recognize the AVI and DIVX files, some others - no go.

I’ll tell ya one thing though. I’ve tried two more things since I’ve posted last. One of them is to reset the ‘Video’ and ‘Audio’ values on the Avidemux to MPEG-4 ASP (lavc) and AC3 (Aften), respectively. I kept the ‘Format’ value at AVI. This is obviously a random shot in the dark. I then selected ‘Save Video’…Things were cool at first, The program began to build a file, but the process was much slower than before. It said that it would take an hour…and then BLAMMO, the bitch shut down my comp…Twice this happened since I posted last, and I had to reboot. I think that the initial warning window said something about ‘crashes’ happening if I didn’t select the ‘alternate mode’, which I didn’t.

Any more ideas for salvaging this project? Can you remember this ever ending in a positive result for anyone else? If you can not think of anything else for the Avidemux route, can you suggest a good freeware app for this job? The reason why I’m not interested in purchasing a program is because I only intend to convert this one MP4…also, one OGM and one MKV. I certainly don’t want to purchase three apps for only three small, seperate taks. What do you suggest here? Any more ideas on getting this flarkin Avidemux swingin and up to par?

You are starting with a more advanced file, with properties that don’t seem to work well in the avi container. As I’ve stated before, this process isn’t guaranteed to work, and normally works only with simple xvid and divx files with stereo sound (mp3 or ac3). Helps for them to be cbr encoded too on the audio.

If all you want to do is save the file on a dvd as a data file, you don’t have to convert it at all. You don’t seem interested in playing it on a stand alone player, so you can just burn it to a disk. A computer will be able to play the file, using any number of media players. I use VLC or Media Player Classic Home Cinema for mp4 or mkv files.

Alright. Two questions then. Does it pay to try some of these other ‘encoding’ configs, using the Avidemux program? Am I just wasting time, or will some other arrangement possibly git 'er done?..Secondly, what should I use to burn a MPEG-4 (MP4) file to disc? I have been using my DIVX player solely to burn things to DVD+R, because everything I’ve been using is either a AVI or DIVX file. But, the player won’t read these MP4 at all.

[QUOTE=GreenTNHoney;2454653]Alright. Two questions then. Does it pay to try some of these other ‘encoding’ configs, using the Avidemux program? Am I just wasting time, or will some other arrangement possibly git 'er done?

…Secondly, what should I use to burn a MPEG-4 (MP4) file to disc? I have been using my DIVX player solely to burn things to DVD+R, because everything I’ve been using is either a AVI or DIVX file. But, the player won’t read these MP4s at all.[/QUOTE]

When you get a moment, please address this above post…also, what’s up with this Huffyuv or Lagarith? What can I do to retain something relatively close to the original MPEG-4 quality?

Burn the avi, mp4, and mkv files you have onto a blank dvd as data using ImgBurn. It is a free burning program and well respected around here. They will play on a computer media player with .mkv support (I’ve mentioned a couple), but won’t work on stand alone dvd players.

If you want to re-encode, you can use lots of different programs, but if you want to try AviDemux, try these settings:
Video: Mpeg4 ASP (Xvid)
Audio: Mp3 lame or AC3 Aften, or Copy if you already have AC3 audio
Format: AVI

After you set Video to Mpeg4 ASP (Xvid) click on Configure. For higher quality output set it to Average bitrate 2 pass. Default setting seems to be 1500kbps.

I don’t see much need to re-encode for your particular needs, but it won’t hurt to learn more about the program if you are interested. Re-encoding always degrades quality a small amount. If done well, you may never notice it.