Convert I player file (WMV) to MP4 file?

vbimport

I am trying to convert an i player file to MP4 format to play on my i pod touch. Any suggestions on any programs that will do this, preferably free.
I’ve used Videodora Ipod convertor, great little program, only it doesn’t work!

Any advice greatfully received. :cool:

Many Thanks
Helen

Two converters that come to mind immediately are Handbrake and Xvid4PSP (don’t let the name fool you on this one).

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/HandBrake

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XviD4PSP

One of our regular members likes Format Factory quite a lot. I haven’t used it myself: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Format_Factory

Many of the free converters have trouble with .wmv files, since they use the closed source Microsoft codecs. I would try Handbrake first of these three.

Thankyou so much for your reply. I’ve spent the last couple of days trying all the programs you suggested, none of them work :a

I end up with 'massively pixelated garbage’and no audio, (not really sure how to describe it). It is the same on every program I use so I asssume I am doing something wrong?

I am playing with windows media player before starting to allow the DRM.

Please can someone tell me what i’m doing wrong? Can I player files be converted? Because i’m starting to think that they can’t!!

Many Thanks
Helen

You are probably running into DRM issues here. If you can play the file, there are some programs that can capture it as it plays. Tunebite is one such program, but it is not free.

CamStudio might work for this as well. It is a free program: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/CamStudio#comments It will record in avi format which can then be converted to the mp4 that you want.

I’m getting there :clap:

You’re right it’s a DRM issue, I downloaded Tunebite but could not test it on an MP4 output without paying, obviously wanted to make sure it will work before I part with any cash.

So downloaded a free trial of Aimersoft DRM Media Convertor, this let me trial a 1 minute clip and it works perfectly :bigsmile:

I am willing to pay if I have to just wondered if anyone knows of any free DRM removal software before I commit.

Thanks again for all your help.
Helen

I’ve posted this a couple of times & I’m still waiting for someone to try this method & post back if it works.
I don’t have any DRM protected wmv files & I don’t want to buy any just to test this. If you give it a try please post back & tell me if it worked for you.

I found this YouTube a while back.

Watch this YouTube:

Sometimes this link doesn’t work if it doesn’t do a search at YouTube with " Convert DRM Protected WMA Music File "
There are 3 “options” on the video. The Freeme or Tunebyte ones shouldn’t be necessary only the last “option”.The creater of the video also says this is the best method.
The video suggests Daemon tools for the virtual CD .Some people have problems with Daemon tools .I suggest getting the VirtualCloneDrive from slysoft. If you already have a virtual drive try it first.
Now try this:
Simply put in the YouTube video
1.He uses Nero to make an image file of the protected download.
So you need software that will make an image file from the downloaded file or files.Maybe ImgBurn.
2. A virtual drive to mount the image file in.
The one I have is VirtualCloneDrive.
3. A converter software to convert the file on the virtual drive,He converts to .mp3 .
You should try to convert the .wmv file in the virtual drive to .mp4 .
Using one of the softwares suggested by Kerry56 in post #2.

Here’s what I would try:
1.Download ImgBurn & VirtualCloneDrive .Install them.
2.Make an .iso of the .wmv file with ImgBurn.
3.Mount the .iso in VirtualCloneDrive.
4.Use a conversion software to convert the .wmv file on the virtual drive to a real .mp4 file on your harddrive. You might even try Videodora Ipod convertor again since you already have it.
Or try the ones Kerry56 suggested.

Thanks for that Cholla but that looks a little difficult for me, i’m still a bit of a novice. :o

Any more suggestions greatfully received.

Helen

Did CamStudio not work? Like Cholla, I don’t buy .wmv files with drm attached, so I have no way of testing it.

Aimersoft has a very bad reputation, mostly because they are notorious spammers. Have no idea if their software would work and I would never trust a credit card number with them.

Edit: Camtasia is one of the best for screen capture, but is fairly expensive. There is a free 30 day trial of the program. It should be able to export in a compatible format for your ipod. http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp

Camstudio did not recognise the file I want to convert so didn’t get very far with that one.

Thanks for the warning on Aimersoft, i’ll steer clear and run a virus check, i’ve recently had my email and Facebook hacked so don’t want to go through that again!

Had a look at Camtasia, think i’ll give that one a miss, as you say it’s expensive.

Any thoughts on ‘daniusoft digital media converter’ i’ve read it’s better that Tunebite because it doesn’t record but captures digitally?

Thanks
Helen

Danuisoft is another spammer outfit. We remove their spam posts all the time, so they don’t fill me with confidence in their business tactics.

Other than that, I don’t know much about them. Their program may very well work, but it is not something I’ve tried.

[QUOTE=helen4474;2540366]I’m getting there :clap:

You’re right it’s a DRM issue, I downloaded Tunebite but could not test it on an MP4 output without paying, obviously wanted to make sure it will work before I part with any cash.

Helen[/QUOTE]

Well that’ s strange, as far as I knew Tunebite’s demo allowed you to test the features you could find on the full version, the only thing was that the output files were limited to one minute or something like that.
Oh well, I use it since quite some time ago so this might have changed.
Anyways if you wanna convert wmv to mp4, Tunebite’s a good choice. Dunno how good of a job do the other apps mentioned here to also be able to convert wmv to mp4 but indeed you cannot rely on what it says round some of the posts.
As for Tunebite, I remember thre were some how to’s on it’s website, maybe there’s an useful one on wmv conversion that can help you.

Well I just thought i’d let you know how I got on. I’ve been a typical girl and gone for the first program I dowloaded, Tunebite.

I originally downloaded it from the link provided in this thread, that didn’t work with trial MP4 conversion so I went to Cnet which promised a trial conversion with an older version download, that didn’t work either. So I crossed my fingers and bought it.

Well anyway it works a treat, the only criticism is I can’t seem to mute the audio when converting which is a pain cos I usually play music thru the laptop so have to convert in silence.

Helen

[QUOTE=helen4474;2541412]Well I just thought i’d let you know how I got on. I’ve been a typical girl and gone for the first program I dowloaded, Tunebite.

Well anyway it works a treat, the only criticism is I can’t seem to mute the audio when converting which is a pain cos I usually play music thru the laptop so have to convert in silence.

Helen[/QUOTE]

Well ,actually as far as I recall you can actually do that in Tunebite. You can mute the audio when converting files with Tunebite.

You should look at the converting window for Tunebite, at the bottom left side of the interface there should be the button you need to help you mute the audio while you convert files with Tunebite and you wanna listen to some other music or whatever.:wink:

Cheers!

Ah ha, there it is, I tried the one on the top right and the volume control and neither worked. This one only appears when you start converting, hence the reason why I missed it.
Thanks for that little tip, I can convert and play my music too :clap:

[QUOTE=helen4474;2542136]Ah ha, there it is, I tried the one on the top right and the volume control and neither worked. This one only appears when you start converting, hence the reason why I missed it.
Thanks for that little tip, I can convert and play my music too :clap:[/QUOTE]

No problem Helen, actually glad I was of some help with that little setting in Tunebite.:smiley:

Hi again, I am having a great time with Tunebite, but I have one small problem. When coverting a video file a seperate window pops up in the top left hand corner which plays the video. Is there any way to minimise the window or move it around the screen?
Many Thanks
Helen