Convert files to MP3 format

vbimport

Hi There,

Does anyone know how to convert audio files to MP3 format?

Cheers

With LAME :slight_smile:

It is the easiest way.

http://lame.sourceforge.net/

thanks geno, shall give it a try, Cheers

please try download wavepad. its free and can convert audio files to different formats.

Go to dbpoweramp.com and download their software. Have been using their programs for years.

Guess it has been a long time ago since I have been at dbpoweramp.com, as it used to be free - not anymore. Have excellent produces but was better when free.

Simplest program and FREE as well is CD Ripper from Koyotesoft. The author keeps it and his other excellent FREE programs current.

There are many ways.

Winamp http://www.winamp.com/ has a build in plug-in that let you convert any audio file to MP3.

Also here you can find a list with programs for this job. Choose one you like and use it. http://http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3_converter_freeware.htm

Some of them give better qual;lity on convertion and some give better speed ,so the choice is yours.

I’ve been using foobar2000 to convert from lossless to lossy audio formats for some time now. It has some excellent features.

There are many times many software packages that will convert .wav to .mp3

Those using the LAME algorythm are best for mp3 files that will be encoded at a bitrate higher than 160Kbit/sec.

Below 160K LAME is probably not the best choice.

what I personally use is “SwitchSound” by NCH, but don’t confuse my saying so with anything resembling an endorsement, it’s simply the software with the easiest to deal with user interface that I have
come across… so far.
Trust me if I find something easier to use I’ll use it instead.
Switch sound will convert to most other compressed codecs, but since 95% of my compression is to 320kBit/Sec CBR mp3’s I can’t really comment on it’s functionality doing other than what I do
with it.

BTW, you can download a “test” version of the software that works with full function for a ten day trial period.
After that 10days is up it still works, but there are some settings you cannot change and functions you cannot access, but it still works…

AD

Use FlexiMusic Mp3 Editor. It converts the audio from one file to another and the you can also do editing if you need.

I also use foobar2k, great features,highly customizable,works great…
And the price is right…

flac> mp3, Lame3.98 -V2 (~190 kbps)…Sometimes -V5(~130 kbps) for wife’s portable…:slight_smile:

Maybe I missed it but can I use any of the above listed sites to convert .rar files to mp3. Any-audio-converter did not work for me (of course, the problem may be that I’m using it wrong).

Please advise.

A RAR file is a file compression format, just like Zip. You’ll need to extract the song(s) first from the Rar before you can try re-encoding them.

7-zip is a fairly useful freeware tool for extracting Rar files and also handles a variety of other formats, e.g. 7z, ARJ, ISO (CD image), etc. Once installed, simply right-click on the Rar file and select “Extract Here”. :wink:

I also use Lame. It allows to convert files with high speed…

[QUOTE=Nick.C;2181018]I’ve been using foobar2000 to convert from lossless to lossy audio formats for some time now. It has some excellent features.[/QUOTE][QUOTE=t0nee1;2190049]I also use foobar2k, great features,highly customizable,works great…And the price is right…
flac> mp3, Lame3.98 -V2 (~190 kbps)…Sometimes -V5(~130 kbps) for wife’s portable…:)[/QUOTE]Ditto foobar2000 + LAME for conversion to MP3. And if that is coming from a CD, then EAC + LAME.[QUOTE=vferrell2;2292077]Maybe I missed it but can I use any of the above listed sites to convert .rar files to mp3. Any-audio-converter did not work for me (of course, the problem may be that I’m using it wrong)[/QUOTE]Beware music in .RAR :eek:files. Unless the packed files are .WAV originals then they are probably already compressed and putting them in a compressed archive is just a way for unscrupulous folks to package a trojan along with the music.