Convert DVD to transfer to IPhone\IPad

vbimport

I have done this before but it has since been a long time. I have a DVD which I am trying to transfer onto my IPhone. I am having a problem doing this. I have Nero recode that I am converting the DVD to a Nero Digital file, I don’t know if this is the best way or that it will even work. Can somebody please tell me how to do it? I have freeware conversion software but I am not sure if I have to combine the Audio and Video of the file together first somehow. Thanks in advance can somebody please offer me some help

Rip the dvd to the hard drive. (if it needs to be decrypted, use AnyDVD or DVDFab).

At this point, Handbrake is your friend. http://handbrake.fr/

It has preset outputs for your Iphone, depending on its age. Here is the basic guide for using it: http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/WindowsGuiGuide

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2532783]Rip the dvd to the hard drive. (if it needs to be decrypted, use AnyDVD or DVDFab).

At this point, Handbrake is your friend. http://handbrake.fr/

It has preset outputs for your Iphone, depending on its age. Here is the basic guide for using it: http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/WindowsGuiGuide[/QUOTE]

I ripped it using ImgBurn it created an mds file and an image file, the image file is much larger so I tried to convert that to mp4 and ACC it did not work. Now I am creating a Nero Digital file, what can I do with the Nero Digital file? it’s not encrypted, or commercial it’s a homemade DVD. Please help!

Don’t use Nero. Period.

Since your dvd video is not encrypted, you can simply copy the Video_TS folder over to the hard drive and use that as input for Handbrake. Or you can work straight from the dvd in the drive…it is just slower and puts wear and tear on your optical drive.

If you would rather work from the ISO file you’ve made with ImgBurn, you can mount it in a virtual drive like Slysoft’s Virtual CloneDrive. It is free to use. http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

Handbrake makes this process very simple and straightforward.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2532789]Don’t use Nero. Period.

Since your dvd video is not encrypted, you can simply copy the Video_TS folder over to the hard drive and use that as input for Handbrake. Or you can work straight from the dvd in the drive…it is just slower and puts wear and tear on your optical drive.

If you would rather work from the ISO file you’ve made with ImgBurn, you can mount it in a virtual drive like Slysoft’s Virtual CloneDrive. It is free to use. http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

Handbrake makes this process very simple and straightforward.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why i have to download a new program every time i need something done. I have “SUPER” conversion software, NERO, ImgBurn, AnyDVD, Nrg2Iso, EAC, and countless other programs, why i can’t load a video onto ITunes and sync it to my device is beyond me

[QUOTE=Chala;2532793]Not sure why i have to download a new program every time i need something done. I have “SUPER” conversion software, NERO, ImgBurn, AnyDVD, Nrg2Iso, EAC, and countless other programs, why i can’t load a video onto ITunes and sync it to my device is beyond me[/QUOTE]

Horses for courses you know. Nero is a bloated mess and has a peculiar habit of failing for no apparent reason. I gave up on it years ago, in its 7th incarnation, and haven’t looked back…and really only used Nero 7 to be able to advise people on how to work with the blasted thing. No more.
Super is also a huge pile of buffalo bagels, and its only saving grace is that it is a [I]free[/I] pile of sh*t. The quality of output from it is almost always inferior to other free tools, so I have stopped recommending it as well.

Your other listed tools are very good, so no need to change them. (though I wouldn’t have iTunes on a Windows system if you paid me…its just a necessary evil for some).

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2532797]Horses for courses you know. Nero is a bloated mess and has a peculiar habit of failing for no apparent reason. I gave up on it years ago, in its 7th incarnation, and haven’t looked back…and really only used Nero 7 to be able to advise people on how to work with the blasted thing. No more.
Super is also a huge pile of buffalo bagels, and its only saving grace is that it is a [I]free[/I] pile of sh*t. The quality of output from it is almost always inferior to other free tools, so I have stopped recommending it as well.

Your other listed tools are very good, so no need to change them. (though I wouldn’t have iTunes on a Windows system if you paid me…its just a necessary evil for some).[/QUOTE]

So are you saying handbrake is all what i need for this process?

Yes.

Most of the people I advise are working with encrypted dvds, so it is best to use AnyDVD or DVDFab to rip to the hard drive, then work with the video. Since your dvd-video is not encrypted, you have the choice of either working with it from the disk or you can do a simple copy to the hard drive and use the files as input into Handbrake.

Using one of the Iphone presets, Handbrake should produce a file that is compatible with your phone.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2532801]Yes.

Most of the people I advise are working with encrypted dvds, so it is best to use AnyDVD or DVDFab to rip to the hard drive, then work with the video. Since your dvd-video is not encrypted, you have the choice of either working with it from the disk or you can do a simple copy to the hard drive and use the files as input into Handbrake.

Using one of the Iphone presets, Handbrake should produce a file that is compatible with your phone.[/QUOTE]

You really like handbrake, is this your program?? I Converted the file to a MPEG video, that is also referred to as an mp4 correct? Which is supposed to be supported by ITunes IPhone\IPad the best I could do was convert it to a mov file, ITunes let me load I on there but the 17 minute video clip was shrunk to 6 minutes. Its probably has something to do with the way the author created the DVD.

:slight_smile: No, not my program. Handbrake is the creation of a team of programmers in France, and a few other countries. I am in no way associated with them.

Just to be clear, I couldn’t program my way out of a paper sack. :wink:

The total playing time of the video shouldn’t be affected by the conversion. The size of the video should be considerably smaller.

If you are having trouble, look up one of the many hundreds of tutorials for Handbrake. I linked a simple guide earlier and there are many on the net, like this one at Youtube.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2532847]:slight_smile: No, not my program. Handbrake is the creation of a team of programmers in France, and a few other countries. I am in no way associated with them.

Just to be clear, I couldn’t program my way out of a paper sack. :wink:

The total playing time of the video shouldn’t be affected by the conversion. The size of the video should be considerably smaller.

If you are having trouble, look up one of the many hundreds of tutorials for Handbrake. I linked a simple guide earlier and there are many on the net, like this one at Youtube.

I still have not downloaded it, i am leaning towards purchasing Quick time Pro, it’s Apples own conversion product, can’t go wrong there. I will think it over (about dowloading Handbrake) thanks!

[QUOTE=Chala;2532849]I still have not downloaded it, i am leaning towards purchasing Quick time Pro, it’s Apples own conversion product, can’t go wrong there. I will think it over (about dowloading Handbrake) thanks![/QUOTE]

Kerry’s advice is spot on as ever and Handbrake is the way to go.

You can of course buy a package if you choose but I’d recommend following Kerry’s advice before spending money needlessly.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Count me as a vote for Handbrake.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2532855]Kerry’s advice is spot on as ever and Handbrake is the way to go.

You can of course buy a package if you choose but I’d recommend following Kerry’s advice before spending money needlessly.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;2532885]Count me as a vote for Handbrake.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys, looks like i am going to try Handbrake lol!

I have had problems with just copy & paste of DVD compliant files with Windows. I always use a ripping software to move files of this type.
I haven’t tested Handbrake to see if it would use files strait from a non-encrypted disc.
I am giving it a try .I just used the standard iPhone / iPod Touch preset without making any setting changes. The first choice for “Save” was .m4v so I used that.
I don’t have an iPhone or iPod to test with so I can’t say how this video would work on one of them.
Handbrake was able to do this file strait from the disc so that’s how I would do non-encrypted discs. It is a video of a complete movie.
Done movie only & compressed to single layer.
Here are the MediaInfo stats on the file:
General #0
Complete name : C:\Users\UserName\Videos\HB\HB1.m4v
Format : MPEG-4
Format/Info : ISO 14496-1 version 2
Format/Family : MPEG-4
File size : 746 MiB
PlayTime : 1h 35mn
Bit rate : 1087 Kbps
StreamSize/String : 1.61 MiB
Encoded date : UTC 2010-07-20 13:58:31
Tagged date : UTC 2010-07-20 14:50:47
Encoded_application : HandBrake 0.9.2 2008022300

Video #0
Codec : AVC
Codec/Family : AVC
Codec/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Codec profile : Baseline@L3.0
Codec settings, CABAC : No
Codec_Settings_RefFrames : 1
Bit rate mode : VBR
Bit rate : 957 Kbps
Width : 480 pixels
Height : 192 pixels
Display Aspect ratio : 2.500
Frame rate mode : VFR
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Minimum frame rate : 23.976 fps
Maximum frame rate : 23.988 fps
Chroma : 4:2:0
Interlacement : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.433
StreamSize/String : 657 MiB

Audio #0
Codec : AAC LC
Codec/Family : AAC
Codec/Info : AAC Low Complexity
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 221 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
StreamSize/String : 87.8 MiB
Language : English

Text #0
Codec : Timed
Codec/Info : Timed text (3GPP)
Codec/Url : http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html
StreamSize/String : 698 Bytes

[QUOTE=cholla;2532996]I have had problems with just copy & paste of DVD compliant files with Windows. I always use a ripping software to move files of this type.
I haven’t tested Handbrake to see if it would use files strait from a non-encrypted disc.
I am giving it a try .I just used the standard iPhone / iPod Touch preset without making any setting changes. The first choice for “Save” was .m4v so I used that.
I don’t have an iPhone or iPod to test with so I can’t say how this video would work on one of them.
Handbrake was able to do this file strait from the disc so that’s how I would do non-encrypted discs. It is a video of a complete movie.
Done movie only & compressed to single layer.
Here are the MediaInfo stats on the file:
General #0
Complete name : C:\Users\UserName\Videos\HB\HB1.m4v
Format : MPEG-4
Format/Info : ISO 14496-1 version 2
Format/Family : MPEG-4
File size : 746 MiB
Bit rate : 1087 Kbps
StreamSize/String : 1.61 MiB
Encoded_application : HandBrake 0.9.2 2008022300

Video #0
Codec : AVC
Codec/Family : AVC
Codec/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Codec profile : Baseline@L3.0
Codec settings, CABAC : No
Codec_Settings_RefFrames : 1
Bit rate : 957 Kbps
Width : 480 pixels
Height : 192 pixels
Display Aspect ratio : 2.500
Frame rate mode : VFR
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Minimum frame rate : 23.976 fps
Maximum frame rate : 23.988 fps
Chroma : 4:2:0
Interlacement : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.433
StreamSize/String : 657 MiB

Audio #0
Codec : AAC LC
Codec/Family : AAC
Codec/Info : AAC Low Complexity
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 221 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
StreamSize/String : 87.8 MiB
Language : English

Text #0
Codec : Timed
Codec/Info : Timed text (3GPP)
Codec/Url : http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html
StreamSize/String : 698 Bytes
Tagged date : UTC 2010-07-20 14:50:47[/QUOTE]

First of all hi Cholla long time, yes these guys want me to try Handbrake, I don’t like downloading these programs when I am not sure they will work, only to congest my registry, and then uninstall these programs. Then some hidden entries stay in the registry, I hate that. What is that Quick Time link? I am leaning again towards Quick Time Pro, cause they specifically convert files for playback on IPhone\IPad it’s just that you have to pay. So Cholla are you saying it worked for you? What device or software are you playing the file on?

Hi Chala , The Quicktime there is part of the MediaInfo softwares report on the video I created .I assume it came from Handbrakes Program file folder.
I’m probably using an older version of Handbrake.I don’t use it much & according to it’s Program Files folder I installed it in 2008.
I just opened the .m4v file with VLC player. I don’t know if that’s the file extension you need to use iPhone / iPod Touch . It is just the Handbrake preset for that .I didn’t change any settings.
WinAmp & WMP 11 were also able to play the file but mine have both been added to.

These guys recommend proggies that work, else “these guys” wouldn’t recommend them…
Other alternatives are Xvid4psp, Formatfactory, Mediacoder…No one is forcing you to download them…Just recommendations is all!..
Good luck with Quicktime Pro…

[QUOTE=cholla;2533004]Hi Chala , The Quicktime there is part of the MediaInfo softwares report on the video I created .I assume it came from Handbrakes Program file folder.
I’m probably using an older version of Handbrake.I don’t use it much & according to it’s Program Files folder I installed it in 2008.
I just opened the .m4v file with VLC player. I don’t know if that’s the file extension you need to use iPhone / iPod Touch . It is just the Handbrake preset for that .I didn’t change any settings.
WinAmp & WMP 11 were also able to play the file but mine have both been added to.[/QUOTE]

The IPhone supports H.264 and MPEG4 video formats, I have the file converted to MPEG Video (not sure if that is mp4) but I cannot get it to load on my IPhone. [QUOTE=t0nee1;2533006]These guys recommend proggies that work, else “these guys” wouldn’t recommend them…
Other alternatives are Xvid4psp, Formatfactory, Mediacoder…No one is forcing you to download them…Just recommendations is all!..
Good luck with Quicktime Pro…[/QUOTE]

t0nee I meant no disrespect, I should have referred to the users as extremely helpful club myce experts. In addition I am grateful and appreciate their expertise and I am sure they would not mislead me. I just want to make that clear. I love this site, and I enjoy hearing from all the experts and I thank them for the time they invest writing to me, including you t0nee!

H.264
File formats: .m4v, .mp4, and .mov
Video: Up to 768 kbits/sec, 320 x 240, 30 frames per second (fps), Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3.
Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 kbits/sec, 48 Khz, and stereo audio.
MPEG-4
File formats: .m4v, .mp4, and .mov
Video: Up to 2.5 Mbits/sec, 480 x 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile.
Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 kbits/sec, 48 Khz, stereo audio.