Convert DVD Chapters to AVI format

vbimport

I want to find a good piece of software that will enable me to select a particular chapter (or chapters) within a DVD and convert to AVI format.

The software needs to be sophisticated enough to recognise the availability of different audio tracks (languages) and subtitles and give me the options to select which audio track and subtitles I want in the avi file.

It also needs to tell me what resolution and aspect ration the DVD original is in and allow me to convert it to something else if required.

Does anyone know of a good, reliable, user-friendly piece of software that will do this without requiring a high level of technical knowledge? (Expensive software is fine, as long as it does the job.)

[QUOTE=skypilotpete;2540043]I want to find a good piece of software that will enable me to select a particular chapter (or chapters) within a DVD and convert to AVI format.

The software needs to be sophisticated enough to recognise the availability of different audio tracks (languages) and subtitles and give me the options to select which audio track and subtitles I want in the avi file.

It also needs to tell me what resolution and aspect ration the DVD original is in and allow me to convert it to something else if required.

Does anyone know of a good, reliable, user-friendly piece of software that will do this without requiring a high level of technical knowledge? (Expensive software is fine, as long as it does the job.)[/QUOTE]

Try DVDFab’s DVD Ripper which will rip and convert to other formats you can select the start and end (Chapter)

See DVDFab.com

I don’t know of any one program that will do everything you’re asking for. First, if these are commercial DVD’s that you own do you currently have/use any ripping/decrypting software and if so which one/s? Does the output format have to be AVI? Could you use mp4 or mkv?
What OS are you using? There are prorams that rip and convert, like DVDFab, but I’m not certain it does individual chapters and I don’t know how much control it provides for subs and audio. Another option is Handbrake, but it doesn’t decrypt (you’ll need a program to rip the DVD’s first) and it only ouputs to mp4 or mkv but it does allow you to select chapters. Two programs that work well together are DVDDecrypter and Autogk. You can rip the individual chapters with DVDDecrypter in IFO mode and then convert the ouput with Autogk to AVI. DVDDecrypter is no longer updated so the only copy protection it can handle is CSS. Another option is FormatFactory, but again you will need to have the DVD decrypted before you use FF but you can select start and end points and convert just that section to just about any format including AVI.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2540090]I don’t know of any one program that will do everything you’re asking for. First, if these are commercial DVD’s that you own do you currently have/use any ripping/decrypting software and if so which one/s? Does the output format have to be AVI? Could you use mp4 or mkv?
What OS are you using? There are prorams that rip and convert, like DVDFab, but I’m not certain it does individual chapters and I don’t know how much control it provides for subs and audio. Another option is Handbrake, but it doesn’t decrypt (you’ll need a program to rip the DVD’s first) and it only ouputs to mp4 or mkv but it does allow you to select chapters. Two programs that work well together are DVDDecrypter and Autogk. You can rip the individual chapters with DVDDecrypter in IFO mode and then convert the ouput with Autogk to AVI. DVDDecrypter is no longer updated so the only copy protection it can handle is CSS. Another option is FormatFactory, but again you will need to have the DVD decrypted before you use FF but you can select start and end points and convert just that section to just about any format including AVI.[/QUOTE]

DVDFab’s DVD to mobile which is now called DVD Ripper :rolleyes:
will show and give an option to select different audio tracks and subtitles it also shows the “aspect ration”<- as the OP calls it, you even have the option to change the resolution on some of the many format profiles it has. :cool:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2540116]DVDFab’s DVD to mobile which is now called DVD Ripper :rolleyes:
will show and give an option to select different audio tracks and subtitles it also shows the “aspect ration”<- as the OP calls it, you even have the option to change the resolution on some of the many format profiles it has. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Good information. Except for playing with a trial version or two I’m not really a Fab user but I try to keep up with what’s available. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Whappo;2540121]Good information. Except for playing with a trial version or two I’m not really a Fab user but I try to keep up with what’s available. :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah there has been many changes with the DVDFab products, before in order to use the DVD to mobile(now DVD Ripper) you also had to buy the DVD to DVD(now DVD Copy) but the DVD Ripper(DVD to Mobile) is now sold as a standalone program so the purchase of two programs is not required. :cool:

Thanks for the replies. In terms of decrypting, I use DVDDecrypter and AnyDVD. I wasn’t aware of DVDDecrpyter’s ability to select chapters in IFO mode - I’ll have a go with that first.

My OS is Windows XP Pro SP3, and I think my Cowon J3 will play mp4 videos. It sounds as though DVDFab’s DVD Ripper is worth a try. I’ll have to see if it provides a fully functional trial version.