- What program did you use for the procedure?
I’ve tried some conversion from standard definition and Blu-ray to WMV-HD but only with Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate. It is a new product and Studio 12 supports M2TS.
- How long did it take to convert?
- From SD camcorder AVI to WMV-HD 5mbps/5.1 Dolby digital, it took about 10 mins per 1 min video. I tested a 720x480 NTSC SD AVI (722MB, 3:15 mins), Studio 12 finished the convertion to WMV 1920x1080 5.1 DD in about 30 mins. All 4 cores of Q6600 showing 90% CPU usage.
- From Blu-ray M2TS 1920x1080, 5.1 DD to WMV-HD 1920x1080 it took longer, around 15-20 mins per min of video. However the CPU cores only showing 45-60% of usage (each core).
- What type of CPU do you have?
Quadcore 2.4Ghz Q6600 overclocked to 3Ghz.
- Is it possible to fit a full length WMV-HD 1080p movie on a DVD+R DL?
I believe so. With Pinnacle Studio 12, I believe the video bitrate is locked to 5mbps (unfortunately, since I’ve seen 8mbps WMV-HD).
The convertion of a 2:30 mins 500MB 1080p M2TS resulting about 95MB WMV-HD in 1080p (5mbps). So technically around 40MB per min.
A 8GB DVD+R DL will be able to hold around 200 mins of 1080 WMV-HD.
Despite a reduce bitrate of originally 30mbps to 5mbps, the WMV-HD result is “pretty good” on my 42" plasma, but I don’t think I can wait 40 hours to convert a 2 hour Blu-ray movie.