Convert audio book m4b to mp3

I have a collection of audio book files m4b format but with no associated DRM as far as I know I can play them ok in WMP & in VLC player.

I want to batch convert these to mp3 to use on an mp3 player that does not handle the m4b format but can’t find a good program to do it.

tried some freeware which was very slow & buggy - looking for other suggestions.

I have around 1gb of files to convert. - about 20 files in all.

If they play in VLC you can use that to convert them to MP3. That option is available from the ‘Advanced Open File’ page, there’s a dropdown next to the ‘Play’ button that has ‘Convert’ as an option. If you need chapters, you can use MP3 DirectCut to chop the resulting MP3 file up.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2306922]If they play in VLC you can use that to convert them to MP3. That option is available from the ‘Advanced Open File’ page, there’s a dropdown next to the ‘Play’ button that has ‘Convert’ as an option. If you need chapters, you can use MP3 DirectCut to chop the resulting MP3 file up.[/QUOTE]

thanks - that’s a well hidden feature - took me a while to find it even with your instructions.

it’s also very slow though - looks to be designed primarily for video conversions & I can’t see any way to set up a batch conversion.

there must be somthing out there that is optimised for m4b to mp3, which will also match the m4b bit rate quality settings.

as it’s speech only the mp3 bit rate probably only needs to be in the 40-50 range, otherwise the mp3 files will be far bigger than the m4b ones.

stupidwindows wont tell me a bit rate for apple format filess but I maybe have a utility that will… yes GSpot does it for me: the 1st file I want to convert is reported as
mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC 32000Hz 32 kb/s , mono (1/0)

mp3 direct cut looks good as some of these files are 6 hours long! but I don’t want cuts to occur mid-sentence so I’ll have to experiment with settings.

UPDATE: seems I also already own another program that can do the conversion but again it will not batch convert.

I have a music tools program called Amazing slowdonwer by ronimuisc which is mainly for changing speed and / or pitch of sound files, but it also has an option to save the file it is working on as porcessed or unprocessed MP3 and lets me choose the mp3 quality settings. It accepts m4b as an input format.

It would also do the cuts if I set them up manually as it has options to enocde only from specific start & end points within the orginal file. it would take ages to configure every cut manually for every file though.

Have look at Super http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
or Format Factory http://www.formatoz.com/