Conversion to Multi-Region DVD Player (DMR-EZ48V)

vbimport

Hi,

I have a Panasonic DVD Player (Model No DMR-EZ48V). Does anyone know where I can find the code / hack / procedure to convert it to a multi-region player? I have just returned to the UK from the Middle East and all the DVD’s I bought out there do not play in the UK DVD region.

Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=EGH;2539819]Hi,

I have a Panasonic DVD Player (Model No DMR-EZ48V). Does anyone know where I can find the code / hack / procedure to convert it to a multi-region player? I have just returned to the UK from the Middle East and all the DVD’s I bought out there do not play in the UK DVD region.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

The DMR-EZ48V is a DVD Recorder that can also play DVDs if the owner is so disposed to play DVDs with a DVD Recorder. In the AVS Forum the common wisdom holds that to prolong longevity of the laser assembly it is best to play DVDs on DVD players, not DVD recorders.

DVD players are more full-featured and are less expensive to replace once the laser assembly has come to the end of its lifetime. Multiregion DVD players are not expensive to purchase and many Region 1 DVD players may be hacked for use with DVDs from other Regions. There are several (USA) sellers specializing in multiregion DVD players and there are a number of websites with hacking information for DVD players. Attempting to hack a DMR-EZ48 is a good way to turn it into a $300 (USD) doorstop.

Once the laser assembly has failed in a (USA/Canadian) DMR-EZ48, Panasonic might exchange the EZ48 for a “refurbed” something or other if the EZ48 is still under warranty. If a (USA/Canadian) EZ48 is out of warranty Panasonic might exchange it for $140 (USD) for a “refurbed” something or other. At the present time there continues the $130 flat-rate repair at the Elgin Illinois (USA) Service Center. Current information is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14451738#post14451738

Outside North America one should check with an authorised Panasonic Service Centre to determine the cost to replace the “optical pick-up” (Panasonic’s term for laser assembly). That should be enough to convince one not to use a Panasonic DVD Recorder as a DVD player.

[QUOTE=EGH;2539819]Hi,

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

It’s not possible with the standard remote but the DMR-EZ48V can be made region free with a programmable remote.

See instructions here.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Wow that’s some procedure, and while it may work I would have to agree with Vox, you’re much better off using a inexpensive DVD player that has been or can be [I]easily[/I] hacked for out of region DVDs. I wouldn’t want to try hacking a recorder than can costs several hundred pounds but that’s you call, I’m just saying. Besides the EZ-48v is a rather clunky player anyway, lacking many of the most basic DVD player features. But again it’s you call, prior to Wombler’s post I hadn’t seen such a hack for the EZ-48v.