Conversion Speed with New Memory Settings?

vbimport

With the new option set to “MAX” I get the same conversion speeds as with 4.1.2.0, about 50fps for 0.4 bits/pixel H264+MP3, tested with the same content. The CPU usage for both cores stays almost solid at 100% and you can smell the dust burning off of the heatsink. Other results:

Setting=“AUTO”, slightly slower, just a few dips in CPU
Setting=“LOW”, 22fps, many dips in CPU
Setting=“NORMAL”, 32fps, some dips in CPU

//EDIT//
Perfect A/V sync with all settings.

Thanks for the info signals. I am planning on using Max later for testing. I hope i can get 150+ fps like i did at one time :bigsmile: and thanks again to Ting for going to the trouble to fix this for us.

Max=50 fps
Auto=35 fps
High=35 fps
Normal=30 fps
Low=21 fps

Note:
CPU usage for both cores is still bouncy bouncy in all modes.

This is converting from one SATA 2 HDD to another SATA 2 HDD. Not using the same HDD that is.

I was hoping for better :\ Still the same it was with version 5.0.2.0 50 fps

Edit:
This is using Vi$ta Ultimate 64 bit. I’ll switch over to my XP Pro 32 bit and test a little later.

Ditto on the “Thanks for the info signals”.
If you can smell the dust burning on your heat sink, just imagine the stench coming from my older rig with a single core P4, 3.0 GHz.

Anyway, my test results weren’t too bad.
No av sync issues, but then I’ve never had any, ever.

Auto Memory:
CPU usage pretty much max’d
Sustained fps of about 42-43 in the following profiles:
Ipod h264 2-pass
Ipod h264 1-pass
Ipod mp4 2-pass
Ipod mp4 1-pass

Max Memory:
CPU usage…remember the stench comment
Sustained fps of about 55
Same profiles

Low Memory:
CPU usage under 50%…average about 30%
Sustained fps down around 20…the stench is preferable
Same profiles

[Edit]
Hey Bob, I didn’t think to include that one…doh!
My conversions also were from one SATA HDD to another SATA HDD

[QUOTE=Bob;2063386]Max=50 fps
Auto=35 fps
High=35 fps
Normal=30 fps
Low=21 fps

Note:
CPU usage for both cores is still bouncy bouncy in all modes.

This is converting from one SATA 2 HDD to another SATA 2 HDD. Not using the same HDD that is.

I was hoping for better :\ Still the same it was with version 5.0.2.0 50 fps

Edit:
This is using Vi$ta Ultimate 64 bit. I’ll switch over to my XP Pro 32 bit and test a little later.[/QUOTE]And i get pretty much the same results using XP Pro 32 bit. Still get bouncy CPU usage in all modes. My Vi$ta 64 bit and XP Pro 32 bit are setup as dual boot. My Vi$ta is a brand new install (1 week old now).

Again i’m using an Intel E6600 C2D stock speed with 2 gigs of G.Skill RAM. No overclocking. Using PVP/ZenW profile.

I also tried converting from a disc in one of my fastest ripping DVD-RW’s to SATA 2 HDD and same results.

No dust burning smell. I keep the inside of my pc fairly clean :slight_smile:

Must have been a glitch when i was getting 150+ fps? There has been so many version updates i don’t remember which version i was using to get 150+ fps :doh:

If that’s the best Ting can do i guess i’ll have to live with it :slight_smile:

This version is still slower that 4.0.1.2 even at Max.

I get 52 fps at Max and 68 with 4.0.1.2. This is the same delta as with 5.0.2.0, no change.

Dear all,

“Max” memory cannot guarantee the max speed, you need try different settings to see the result.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

I re-tried this morning with the same HDD input file and the same conversion setup. I also did a second HDD input file to verify.

1st pass: >200fps
2nd pass 52fps

I don’t know what changed but this is pretty impressive.

I did different memory settings and just checked the first pass

High: 188fps
Normal: 172fps

[QUOTE=bedecc;2063977]I re-tried this morning with the same HDD input file and the same conversion setup. I also did a second HDD input file to verify.

1st pass: >200fps
2nd pass 52fps

I don’t know what changed but this is pretty impressive.

I did different memory settings and just checked the first pass

High: 188fps
Normal: 172fps[/QUOTE]:\ i wish i knew what you changed :bigsmile: I loaded 4.0.1.2 last night on both OS’s to see what happens. I ran out of time last night and went to bed. I will try a few today with both versions and both OS’s.

I also have different A/V and firewall on my Vi$ta install than on my XP Pro install so that cannot be it.

[quote=Bob;2064002]:\ i wish i knew what you changed :bigsmile: I loaded 4.0.1.2 last night on both OS’s to see what happens. I ran out of time last night and went to bed. I will try a few today with both versions and both OS’s.

I also have different A/V and firewall on my Vi$ta install than on my XP Pro install so that cannot be it.[/quote]The first pass of 2-pass runs pretty fast for me too (but not that fast, more like 100fps). I have changed windows memory management settings, changed the swapfile size (even deleted it briefly), all with no magic effect. When I select any of the audiocopy profiles, the encode speed at least doubles. Looks like the audio encoding is a bottleneck on my machine. :frowning:

[QUOTE=Bob;2064002]:\ i wish i knew what you changed :bigsmile: I loaded 4.0.1.2 last night on both OS’s to see what happens. I ran out of time last night and went to bed. I will try a few today with both versions and both OS’s.

I also have different A/V and firewall on my Vi$ta install than on my XP Pro install so that cannot be it.[/QUOTE]I have finished my testing with both versions and no difference that i can see.

I did a clean boot and no difference…this has got me stumped. I want my 150+ fps back with both cores maxed out :sad: :bigsmile: