Conversion Speed with New Memory Settings?

vbimport

#1

With the new option set to “MAX” I get the same conversion speeds as with 4.1.2.0, about 50fps for 0.4 bits/pixel H264+MP3, tested with the same content. The CPU usage for both cores stays almost solid at 100% and you can smell the dust burning off of the heatsink. Other results:

Setting=“AUTO”, slightly slower, just a few dips in CPU
Setting=“LOW”, 22fps, many dips in CPU
Setting=“NORMAL”, 32fps, some dips in CPU

//EDIT//
Perfect A/V sync with all settings.


#2

Thanks for the info signals. I am planning on using Max later for testing. I hope i can get 150+ fps like i did at one time :bigsmile: and thanks again to Ting for going to the trouble to fix this for us.


#3

Max=50 fps
Auto=35 fps
High=35 fps
Normal=30 fps
Low=21 fps

Note:
CPU usage for both cores is still bouncy bouncy in all modes.

This is converting from one SATA 2 HDD to another SATA 2 HDD. Not using the same HDD that is.

I was hoping for better :\ Still the same it was with version 5.0.2.0 50 fps

Edit:
This is using Vi$ta Ultimate 64 bit. I’ll switch over to my XP Pro 32 bit and test a little later.


#4

Ditto on the “Thanks for the info signals”.
If you can smell the dust burning on your heat sink, just imagine the stench coming from my older rig with a single core P4, 3.0 GHz.

Anyway, my test results weren’t too bad.
No av sync issues, but then I’ve never had any, ever.

Auto Memory:
CPU usage pretty much max’d
Sustained fps of about 42-43 in the following profiles:
Ipod h264 2-pass
Ipod h264 1-pass
Ipod mp4 2-pass
Ipod mp4 1-pass

Max Memory:
CPU usage…remember the stench comment
Sustained fps of about 55
Same profiles

Low Memory:
CPU usage under 50%…average about 30%
Sustained fps down around 20…the stench is preferable
Same profiles

[Edit]
Hey Bob, I didn’t think to include that one…doh!
My conversions also were from one SATA HDD to another SATA HDD


#5

[QUOTE=Bob;2063386]Max=50 fps
Auto=35 fps
High=35 fps
Normal=30 fps
Low=21 fps

Note:
CPU usage for both cores is still bouncy bouncy in all modes.

This is converting from one SATA 2 HDD to another SATA 2 HDD. Not using the same HDD that is.

I was hoping for better :\ Still the same it was with version 5.0.2.0 50 fps

Edit:
This is using Vi$ta Ultimate 64 bit. I’ll switch over to my XP Pro 32 bit and test a little later.[/QUOTE]And i get pretty much the same results using XP Pro 32 bit. Still get bouncy CPU usage in all modes. My Vi$ta 64 bit and XP Pro 32 bit are setup as dual boot. My Vi$ta is a brand new install (1 week old now).

Again i’m using an Intel E6600 C2D stock speed with 2 gigs of G.Skill RAM. No overclocking. Using PVP/ZenW profile.

I also tried converting from a disc in one of my fastest ripping DVD-RW’s to SATA 2 HDD and same results.

No dust burning smell. I keep the inside of my pc fairly clean :slight_smile:

Must have been a glitch when i was getting 150+ fps? There has been so many version updates i don’t remember which version i was using to get 150+ fps :doh:

If that’s the best Ting can do i guess i’ll have to live with it :slight_smile:


#6

This version is still slower that 4.0.1.2 even at Max.

I get 52 fps at Max and 68 with 4.0.1.2. This is the same delta as with 5.0.2.0, no change.


#7

Dear all,

“Max” memory cannot guarantee the max speed, you need try different settings to see the result.

Best Regards,
Fengtao


#8

I re-tried this morning with the same HDD input file and the same conversion setup. I also did a second HDD input file to verify.

1st pass: >200fps
2nd pass 52fps

I don’t know what changed but this is pretty impressive.

I did different memory settings and just checked the first pass

High: 188fps
Normal: 172fps


#9

[QUOTE=bedecc;2063977]I re-tried this morning with the same HDD input file and the same conversion setup. I also did a second HDD input file to verify.

1st pass: >200fps
2nd pass 52fps

I don’t know what changed but this is pretty impressive.

I did different memory settings and just checked the first pass

High: 188fps
Normal: 172fps[/QUOTE]:\ i wish i knew what you changed :bigsmile: I loaded 4.0.1.2 last night on both OS’s to see what happens. I ran out of time last night and went to bed. I will try a few today with both versions and both OS’s.

I also have different A/V and firewall on my Vi$ta install than on my XP Pro install so that cannot be it.


#10

[quote=Bob;2064002]:\ i wish i knew what you changed :bigsmile: I loaded 4.0.1.2 last night on both OS’s to see what happens. I ran out of time last night and went to bed. I will try a few today with both versions and both OS’s.

I also have different A/V and firewall on my Vi$ta install than on my XP Pro install so that cannot be it.[/quote]The first pass of 2-pass runs pretty fast for me too (but not that fast, more like 100fps). I have changed windows memory management settings, changed the swapfile size (even deleted it briefly), all with no magic effect. When I select any of the audiocopy profiles, the encode speed at least doubles. Looks like the audio encoding is a bottleneck on my machine. :frowning:


#11

[QUOTE=Bob;2064002]:\ i wish i knew what you changed :bigsmile: I loaded 4.0.1.2 last night on both OS’s to see what happens. I ran out of time last night and went to bed. I will try a few today with both versions and both OS’s.

I also have different A/V and firewall on my Vi$ta install than on my XP Pro install so that cannot be it.[/QUOTE]I have finished my testing with both versions and no difference that i can see.

I did a clean boot and no difference…this has got me stumped. I want my 150+ fps back with both cores maxed out :sad: :bigsmile: