Conversion software

vbimport

Hi,

I have seen many shareware software on the internet which can convert from various video formats to one another. For instance, Advanced X Video Converter which is also conversion software. It can convert from DAT (VCD) to MPEG. But the other day, I just renamed a .dat movie file to .mpg and it works fine. So why do i need to use a software to convert when all i do is rename the file? Are these software really doing something that is worth buying it?

Thx,
Aquarius :slight_smile:

Are these software really doing something that is worth buying it?

Absolutely not.

Renaming the file extension isn’t converting the file though. In the example you gave the DAT hasn’t been converted to an MPEG, it’s still a DAT file just with the wrong extension.

But it works :wink:

Works for what?

okie, here’s what happens…

I have a noname Taiwanese cheap DivX player. Now, if I compile just the .DAT files from various VCD’s on to one DVD and try playing it on the player, it doesn’t play them. If I rename these files to .MPG and then burn the files on to a DVD, it plays them without problems. It probably is a wrong way of getting the work done, but the work does get done. I dunno if my player is the only one which behaves like this or is this common amongst other players too.

Aquarius :slight_smile:

That explains it. It’s probably the player that is able to read such interleaved VCD file format, but only if it has extension MPG. You see it’s not actually converted, but rather it’s your player.

Try playing it on your PC with .MPG extension - that’s a different story.

Or anyone elses player… :wink:

okie,

I copied a .dat file from the MPEGAV folder of a VCD on my PC. In the .DAT format, the file is shown as an unknown type and I need to choose an app such as PowerDVD or Media Player to play it. If I change the extension of the file to .MPG on my PC, the default player for this file is Windows Media Player and it plays fine on the PC. Btw, I have XP Codec pack installed on my PC so I wouldn’t know if it has anything to do with this.

Was the file not supposed to play if I changed the extension?

Aquarius. :slight_smile:

Some software on a PC will play anything.