Contrasting Windows: New feature comparison

Since 2002 when Microsoft introduced Windows XP, its signature operating system has proved to have more stamina than anybody would have originally thought. Despite missteps in Vista, that OS still managed to introduce useful new features, and set the stage for Windows 7.

Link: http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10238901-12.html

:cool::cool:

Yay!
I installed the Release Candidate last night … should prove interesting.
A few bug fixes from the beta, methinks :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=debro;2274222]Yay!
I installed the Release Candidate last night … should prove interesting.
A few bug fixes from the beta, methinks :)[/QUOTE]

I may have understated the bugs …

The release candidate is a steamy heap compared to the Beta … must have used an older code-base … either that, or M$ employs a crack force of programmers to reduce overheads … like software sales … and customer satisfaction.

It’s slow, installs SATA controllers with channels using Multi-word DMA, the networking is slooooooow … it’s like Vista … before SP1.

I’m beginning to suspect they really DID ditch vista, and have delved deep into the archives of buggy libraries … before vista Service pack 1 :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll be waiting until Windows 7 Service pack 1 comes out. This RC is an absolute joke. It’s worse than any recent Brendan Fraser film :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=debro;2276911]I may have understated the bugs …

The release candidate is a steamy heap compared to the Beta … must have used an older code-base … either that, or M$ employs a crack force of programmers to reduce overheads … like software sales … and customer satisfaction.

It’s slow, installs SATA controllers with channels using Multi-word DMA, the networking is slooooooow … it’s like Vista … before SP1.

I’m beginning to suspect they really DID ditch vista, and have delved deep into the archives of buggy libraries … before vista Service pack 1 :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll be waiting until Windows 7 Service pack 1 comes out. This RC is an absolute joke. It’s worse than any recent Brendan Fraser film :p[/QUOTE]

That’s awesome! There is still hope for it tho as you didn’t compare it to any Josh Hartnett flicks.

Personally, I’m looking forward to the release. I skipped Vista entirely so I’m long overdue for a migration. My experience with both the beta and the RC have been mostly postive.

[QUOTE=debro;2276911]I may have understated the bugs …

The release candidate is a steamy heap compared to the Beta …
It’s slow, installs SATA controllers with channels using Multi-word DMA.
I’ll be waiting until Windows 7 Service pack 1 comes out. This RC is an absolute joke. It’s worse than any recent Brendan Fraser film :p[/QUOTE]
I have a Syba SD-SATA-4P PCI SiI 3114 card that auto-installed easily with optical drives with Vista32 and Win7-32 beta. Win7 RC1 couldn’t find drivers. Uninstall in device manager, 2nd boot, no love. Start trying to guess which downloadable driver might work :confused:. Re-boot, and it finds a driver :clap:. Old version from 2006, card is present in device manager, but drives are listed as just “cdrom”. Can’t be seen in explorer or cd speed :a. Checked back in Vista, noticed iscsi initiator listed as a result of Slysoft virtual clonedrive installation(drives running on card listed as scsi along with clonedrive). Pop back to 7 RC1, uninstall card in device manager, install clonedrive, reboot, and now all burners are present and working:clap:. But card is listed as unknown sata and virtual SiI 3114 sata raid :confused:. One more boot, and card is identified and using 2008 drivers(1.5.19.0 for anyone else w/ a 3114 and RC1). Buggy? Yes! Worse than a recent Fraser film? Not possible :disagree:.