Contract J.A.C.K a very interesting observation!

I came across an interesting observation when copying one of the latest Seirra incarnations called Contract Jack.

Needless to say that I found the disk 1 of 2 to be protected with the latest version of the Securom (NEW) unfortuneatley I did not analyse what was the version number.

Now here is where it gets interesting, After going through the regular procedures to back up the securom with twin peaks and Clone as I have done many times before succesfully I was not able to get a positive result this time, thinking that maybe some settings could have been wrong and maybe a bad burn or a bad sector or something like that.

Now the strange thing is that even when I attempted to eject that disk it did not eject. I Tried running any programs noting would run no matter how many times I was clicking on them not even the IE.

The only solution was the complete cold reboot from the reset or the power switch cause the windows was completetly locked despite the fact that mouse was freely moving in the desktop.

Next So I tried to uninstall the game and reinstall the original copy and the same thing happened now this was getting interesting.

Thinking that the problem was with my LTD-166S I got two brand new ones and try the game (the original on them and still the same problem) !

I realised that upon starting the game the HDD light came on very brifely and then turned off, and at the disk was very briefly accessed not as long as it usually takes for the protection verification or authentications in the case of the securom protections, hmmm . . . and then the full system lock.

So I figured to try another title/s with the same protections and use the originals like Max Payne 2 and Hidden and dangerous 2 and surprise surprise . . . exactly the same senario !!!

So just to try to see if the games were corrupted or if it is any part of the Securom Protection maybe one of the files is crouppted I decided to use the altered .exe file from the game copy world and bang it worked !

So I attempted to do a full format thinking that maybe my machine needed a clean start. After the full format the Original game with the Securom worked like a charm with out any problem, how ever as soon as I attempted to run the contract jack from my copied version I was right back in square one !

Keep in mind this was happneing even with NO virtual drives installed and no emulation programs of any kind, only Clone 1.4.3.9 and Blind write 4.3.1 and Twean Peak. besides it was some how not allowing the other games with the securom protection to run even if they I used the original disks. I know for the fact some of the these games like H&D 2 and Max Payne was working prior to this.

I could be wrong but some how some thing in this version of the securom is balck listing something which I am not quite sure what it is that makes any use of any disk with the same protections almost impossible with out the use of an altered .exe

What ever this is it must be affecting the windows system files cause it would not even try to ask for the cd rom to ask for authentication of the copy inserted.

Now if there was any doubt as to the validity of this theory this should have not happend with the fresly formatted machine.

BTW I used the latest version of Clone which was the 4.1.3.9 and the BWA maker was used from a blind write version 4.3.1.

Maybe some incompalibilities? I thought that as well but I rulled that out as I was able to make a perfectly good working copy from the Max Payne using the Clone 4.3.1.7 maybe some thing is different on the version 4.3.1.9.

But if I had to put money on it I would bet that that some thing what ever it happenes to be is to do with some aspects of the Securom and it has noting to do with black listing clone as I have been able to load any other title pripor to this experience even with the Securom copy protection and it used to run fine.

Solution at this point for me was the full format to get ny system back t the way it was which I know is pretty drastic but never the less they only alternative atleast for me.

i think (not quite sure though) that the new securom version has anti-.bwa built into it.

Originally posted by slayerking
i think (not quite sure though) that the new securom version has anti-.bwa built into it.

Maybe or maybe not but what ever it is it effects all the other games with the securom protections in your drive that used to work too as well as making the use of any other game with the similar protection in the future impossible, even if you are using the original disks if that is the case then its pretty drastic way to effect the system that way.

In some cases the game just would not run and the system locks as in the case of the contract jack and max payne 2 and in other cases the game runs well past its initial FMV and right before it starts to get into the game scene it dies out like in the case of the Deus ex Invisible war.

What ever the case maybe the effects atleast at this stage seems to be quite unpredictable withe one final outcome and that is the eventual system lockup and black listing ? of some aspects of the securom 4.X engine that renders all other games with the similar nature protection useless unless of course you utilise a altered .exe for the game.

:confused:

I believe securom installs a driver to check the protection. If it install a new driver, old games would use this new driver i presume.

Blacklisting twinpeak copies is a trivial task, so it would not surprise me.

Originally posted by Andareed
[B]I believe securom installs a driver to check the protection. If it install a new driver, old games would use this new driver i presume.

Blacklisting twinpeak copies is a trivial task, so it would not surprise me. [/B]

Interesting scenario and it makes sense, any idea what exactly this driver could be is or how to look for it !

Cheers, :wink:

Originally posted by Andareed
[B]I believe securom installs a driver to check the protection. If it install a new driver, old games would use this new driver i presume.

Blacklisting twinpeak copies is a trivial task, so it would not surprise me. [/B]

One this still puzzels me and it is that even if the proposed driver is verifying the protection why would an original copy of the game still fails to run ? even if it is uninstalled and registry cleaned and reinstalled again.

It is however interesting to find out exactly what is this driver doing to the system and to what extent.

Cheers, :wink:

yes of course it installs new detection code (or drivers whatever you want to call them) sintnt.dll is one there are also a few more named the same way(sintnt16 and 32) but don’t worry about removing them as everytime you start a securom game they are replaced

Originally posted by slayerking
yes of course it installs new detection code (or drivers whatever you want to call them) sintnt.dll is one there are also a few more named the same way(sintnt16 and 32) but don’t worry about removing them as everytime you start a securom game they are replaced

how about replacing them with 0 byte files that are write protected ? You could also use EFS if your OS supports it.

Following the suggestions that was made in this thread,

I tired to search the HDD for any version of sintnt.dll or sintnt16 or sintnt32 making sure all the hidden files are visible, none were found.

Again for testing sake and to have a clear refrence point I formatted the drive, installed the OS and tried another game with the latest version of the Securom 4.X which is Deus Ex the invisible war. Game loaded fine and no problem.

As a next step I tried to install Clone CD version 4.3.1.9 and rebooted and tried the game again. This time although the game loaded at the begining stages it hanged just before loading the main game, and completley lock the machine with the spinning CD icon in the screen, indicating that is verifying some thing the similar icon that you see when the protection is being verified for a few seconds at he begining of the game.

I rebooted the machine again and now uninstalled clone cd completley and tried the game and guess what ? worked like a charm.

So I can definatively say that the new version of the Securom 4.X or what ever it is, has now definatley BLACK LISTED clone cd atleast version 4.3.1.9 and also some how updates the main encryption portion of the .exes of a securom protected disk ( more like updating a driver of some sort ) even with the games that might have been installed with the prior versions of the securom 4.X and updates them as such so now they will also become ANTI Clone and as soon as they search and see the clone cd they stop responding.

Well I hope Olli is reading this to offer a solution or maybe some how make clone even more stealth in the system so it could run undetectable under these circumstances.

It is extremely difficult to hide an application completely from the system. There are many ways to check if an app is simply installed.

i succesfully copied CJ.
created a mds with pioneer dvd-115 at 8x.

(btw. mds are much better than bwa files for this drive. dont ask me why)

converted to bwa and burned… works in pioneer 115(slowly), plextor 40x cd-rom (a bit slow) and toshiba xm6401 (normal)

Originally posted by theEye
[B]i succesfully copied CJ.
created a mds with pioneer dvd-115 at 8x.

(btw. mds are much better than bwa files for this drive. dont ask me why)

converted to bwa and burned… works in pioneer 115(slowly), plextor 40x cd-rom (a bit slow) and toshiba xm6401 (normal) [/B]

I have had no problem making a working backup of the aformentioned titles with the New Securom 4.X using the methods described above, the issue is to get them to co-exist with Clone CD in the same machine, and I am pretty sure they don’t well at least for now.

Another words the copy refuses to run and stays in a endless loop if it detects clone cd presence in the system.

alcohol and nero is all I need, clonecd died for me :slight_smile: