Continued use of DRM kills sales and targets the wrong people

I just posted the article Continued use of DRM kills sales and targets the wrong people.

While the  entertainment industry happily continues crippling everything they can with  DRM, at this point it is getting very clear that DRM has more evil to  it than any good it has...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11567-Continued-use-of-DRM-kills-sales-and-targets-the-wrong-people.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11567-Continued-use-of-DRM-kills-sales-and-targets-the-wrong-people.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

i agree with all of this 100%. READ THIS RIAA!!!

Every end user who has been burnt with DRM will never buy a song online ever again, even Homer Simpson can work out that if you upset your customers that’s a problem that will sort itself out in the end i.e. no customers left.

This is a bit of a no-brainer. DRM doesn’t exist because content providers/RIAA/MPAA/etc. wanted to stop piracy. It exists because they wanted to insure revenue streams and generate new streams as well. Why do you think they want to have broadcast flags, remote delete, analog blocking, etc.? Not because of piracy. They want to make sure that every time you scratch a disk, you buy it again; or every time your kid breaks a disc you buy it again; or anytime you change how you are using the content they get paid again, etc. Real pirates ignore all efforts at stopping them. It’s just the lowly law abiding citizen that gets screwed. This DRM crap is all about forcing the legit consumer to pay over and over for the right to access the same content over and over. It would be really nice if these jerkweeds would start using technology to enhance the consumer experience rather than simply to insure added revenue. It’s a sad state of affairs, and it isn’t likely to get any better, because the folks who regulate all of this are in the pockets of the people causing the problem. I guess it no longer matter that the airwaves are public and anything broadcast over them is fair game, just feed enough money into Washington and they’ll let you ignore that annoyance and set up whatever consumer screwing tech you want. Oh joy. It’s also doubtful that the sheep will really do anything other than grumble about it. Oh well, maybe someday. :slight_smile:

Great post. :g

hey u, yes you the guy reading this from the RIAA/MPAA, have you not realized how stupid you are yet. Oh yes, and you there, the one writing this music and singing it, have YOU not realized what these idiots are doing to YOUR music and YOUR fans. HELLO, time to wake up.

>the RIAA claims that it is impossible to sell >anything that has to compete with an illegal >service that offers the ‘same thing’ for free. True. When the file sharers are offering something SUPERIOR to what your offering (superior because it’s not tethered), yes, you’ve got a problem. I point to my $50 CD-R collection, then point to my $20,000 DVD collection. Why do I buy so many DVDs? Because what I get from a DVD is superior to what I can download. Downloaded movies look like crap, and usually don’t contain extras like commentaries and such. So what can I get from a CD that I can’t get from a P2P? It’s surely not that warm and fuzzy feeling of supporting the artist since we all know where that money goes. And on the legal download sites, why should I pay for a song where my ability to play is restricted and can be revoked at the drop of a hat? Of course, these arguments all fall on deaf ears. Besides, we all know what DRM is about anyway. Not about protecting sales, but about creating an underhanded level of control solely to create new sales avenues, such as paying repeatedly for the same thing over and over again per device, per person, and per use.

Totally agree with you…on a side note…to the RIAA/MPAA who is reading this… Do you not also realize, that while you spend your money restricting everything, smarter people are spending time breaking the protection. Not to mention what the President of Grokster said in court, which of course we already knew was gonna happen: “The next-gen file sharing programs will travel even farther down the road of secrecy and anonymity.” So when these programs come out, and stop you from getting users IP Addresses, wtf are you gonna do then. If you were smart, you would already be coming out with legal download services that off HD content and all the pluses, of course NOT DRM encrypted, and that don’t cost a lot of money to get. Because let me tell you, when these services do come out, and people see how you are still selling your cripplewared products (not to mention what Blue-Ray and HD-DVD will become, of course, unless DVD-Jon is successful :slight_smile: ) they will not think twice about getting the same content online. Not because it’s free, but because they want to get something that let’s them do what they want with it. This is one reason why (if given these only options) I would buy a CD (for $10 that is, not even gonna touch a $20 rip-off) instead of Ituning it. Why pay money for crippleware products, when you can just buy the cd and rip to your pc and then do what you want with it. Right there, you have a problem within your own business, not to mention the fact that everything is on the net for free on bittorrent.

The entertainment industry has always wanted to be able to take money from folks every time they watch and/or listen to most anything. They think their new generation of DRM crippled products and herd of lawyers - all abusing their paying customers - is going to accomplish this. I expect they are simply going to kill their own business. The more they do this - the less I buy.

Of course you can see that it really hurts iTunes O_o after their 1 billionth download.

And the entertainment industry should have had such insights 10 years and 15 years ago just when computer-based MP3 and older formats were beginning to flourish.