Consumers want HD video, but not HD music

vbimport

I just posted the article Consumers want HD video, but not HD music.

Over the past few years, the movie industry has been heavily pushing High Definition TVs and content and so have camera manufacturers when it comes to cramming as many pixels as possible on the…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14667-Consumers-want-HD-video-but-not-HD-music.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14667-Consumers-want-HD-video-but-not-HD-music.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I listen to MP3s at 192 kbps. I think it’s a good size-to-quality ratio. Sure, I could have converted my CD music library to 320 kbps, but would there really have been a big difference? To put it another way - if I bought 10 prostitutes for the night, would I have a better time if I had spent the extra coin for a full 17 prostitute smorgasbord? Anyone? :stuck_out_tongue:
This message was edited at: 23-05-2008 17:41

I was confused about all that bitrate stuff until you compared it to numbers of prostitutes, then it was clear as glass to me. :S

Well it depends if those prostitutes were being pimped by Sony… Obviously 17 prostitutes would greatly increase your chances of catching a some sort of rootkit… On a serious note, if something is “inaudible”, then what are we really missing? Its not like we were going to here it anyway…

What about DRM’d prostitutes? You can use them but you cannot transfer them to your friend or your car@

I don’t know about you guys but I can tell a mp3 track from its lossless counterpart. Maybe it is me but on good equipment, you can hear the difference. Also, I own the DVDA of the Eagles “Hotel California”. The HD 96KHZ version has sounds in it that the normal SD CD doesn’t have. I have compared them side by side and there is a difference. With the DVDA and at 96KHZ, you hear subtle sounds with the instruments. Now with the 192KHZ stereo version, I can’t a tell a difference between it and the 96KHZ. There could be some difference there but my equipment can’t pick it up. "The CD format on the other hand encodes the audio uncompressed at 1411kbps. " Trust me, they still compress the music they put on some CDs. Anyone with a good ear can tell. Some of the CDs out there are ridiculously compressed and sound horrible. http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/17777619/the_death_of_high_fidelity/print

It’s official. Prostitutes FTW !!! :slight_smile:

Granted, on good audio you can pickup differences but how many people are audiophiles… Like myself, most people are content blasting MP3’s through their car’s stereo…

“Consumers want HD video, but not HD music” That’s a stupid headline/conclusion. It isn’t HD that people are not choosing. If HD were the same size, cost, time to download, people would grab it. But they have other considerations, which is why they may forego the HD versions. If music really stepped up, and had an HD version like HDTV, and artists used that version to IMPROVE the music experience, they’d find people willing to buy it. But when the experience is about the same regardless of the fidelity, there’s little reason to opt for high bit rates. But to conclude that people don’t WANT HD is stupid.

Posted by Hypnosis4U2NV on Friday 23 May 2008 20:37 Granted, on good audio you can pickup differences but how many people are audiophiles… You mean how many people are tone deaf? :slight_smile: Personally, I prefer the music to be accurate, crisp, and distinct. When I mow the lawn, thats when I listen to mp3. When I am on my PC, I listen to my music in FLAC, APE, or ALAC format. MP3 or other lossy formats have their purpose when you need a portable format to take your music on the move. Other than that, why listen to it? Well I guess you could make an arguement about space but with how cheap HDD are or DVDR, why worry? There is a down side to listening to MP3 and it explains it in that link to the article above. I would suggest everyone to read it.

@shaolin007; “You mean how many people are tone deaf?” Well you can start with me if your making a list! :+

Todays youth have no idea what good audio sounds like… they have all but destroyed their hearing from blasting music into their eardrums from their portable players, and now they are quite literally tone deaf. It’s sad… But the record companies are to blame as well, since all the modern recording sound like total sh*t. Over compressed, over modulated… etc. Half the recording don’t even bother to use good stereo separation anymore, it’s just all crammed into the center. It’s really pathetic.

@shaolin007 They do compress music CDs but it is dynamic compression before it gets printed to CD. Here is a great explanation of what is going on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ It is a shame because a lot of great music is being destroyed, never sounding as good as it can. mp3 serves its purpose… it is portable and you can carry thousands of songs with you everywhere. However, higher resolution music, like HD Video, once experienced on a good quality stereo will give you shivers. It takes the musical experience to a whole different level. The better the equipment, the more real the musical experience is. With well recorded music it is as if the band/performers are there in the living room with you. If you ever have the chance to experience it, do not hesitate.

Most of todays music is shithouse and not worth even a download. MP3s and other lossy codecs have totally destroyed any “warmth” in music. Kids today are listening to synthetic crap that is destroying their brains. Sad :c

I gotta tell you, listening to old school rock and metal over the years has most likely destroyed my brain right after blowing out my eardrums… I don’t regret it one bit… :d
This message was edited at: 25-05-2008 12:41

@EZT Yea that link I posted has a good article about DR compression and other things they do like jack up the loudness. Probably the only place where they don’t do it is probably Classical music. @Hypnosis4U2NV LOL. A fellow retro metal head like myself. I still think the old is better than the new.

I am a ‘victim’ of the iPod generation. I suffer from 24/7 LOUD tinnitus and there is no cure available as of yet for it. Protect your hearing people. You only have 1 pair of ears. Limit the volume, listen for less hours and wear ear protection at concerts, cinemas or when using loud tools like drills and jackhammers.

The UK is following suit as the US in beginning to dump the CD single format. http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_7421000/7421035.stm