Consumers face incompatibility as digital technology moves on

vbimport

I just posted the article Consumers face incompatibility as digital technology moves on.

As  content gradually moves from physical media to downloadable content, the  advantage of a quick delivery is quickly overcome by the drawbacks of  restrictions.  Back in the days of...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10606-Consumers-face-incompatibility-as-digital-technology-moves-on.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10606-Consumers-face-incompatibility-as-digital-technology-moves-on.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Good grief. Why would anyone buy any of this stuff given the industry’s determination to make sure nothing works very well across formats and equipment, etc. No thanks - I’ll pass.

“light alternative to the DVD with more copy protection.” Oh thank you for developing that for us!! Can I have 3000 seeing as you’ve provided something so beneficial to us all. And anyone who buys music with DRM is a moron and deserves all the hassle they get with it, END OF STORY. All this DRM crap is again big companies trying to tell us what we can do with the things WE have PAID FOR and made them rich by buying off of them. mp3 and xvid all the way!! And as for “Play for Sure” I love the MS marketting tool of “trying to make it easier for consumers and set a standard”. Sure they’re trying to set a standard - its called WMA and its a pure scam to get everyone to use their lame format!!

With the BR DVD and HD DVD incompatability issue, I believe it will be resolved the same way the +R and -R DVD issue was resolved by the writer manufacturers. That is come up with a drive that can play both formats. Litey and some of the other independent manus. will probably lead the way in making a dual HD format player, just like Apex and others led the way to cheaper DVD players. Those who have a foot in either the HD or BR camp, of course, will take the longest to adopt the dual format player, but then that’s what they get for not being flexible. :d

“And anyone who buys music with DRM is a moron and deserves all the hassle they get with it, END OF STORY.” Yeah, right. What about the music that’s exclusively available DRM’ed?

As for DRM the old adage it applies , a fool in his money are soon parted .

DRM is Developed Ristrictions for the Masses btocher, DRM just stinks of oppression. Please explain your reasoning for the so called exclusivity factor??? I don’t want to call people morons though Nila, people are generally uninformed intentionally. There is not MASS education of the ongoing ordeal of law based on maximum profiteering. We tend to have hope that other human beings will be sensitive to our needs, but it is not usually the case once a corporation becomes an entity in itself insired by greed - and inability to accept dwindling or declining sustinance. It is a deep innate human trait to survive, as is with a corporate entity instilled much alike. The flexibility of money allows it great power that only humans seem to succumb to with ease. We are our own enemies in a sense, so please do not ad hominem ( attack the man ) with useless name calling and character destruction, but let us understand WHY these occurences take place. Besides, any protection created by man, can be destroyed by man. It is all compatible, the news is just brainwashing the common folk into believing that there is some mystical split between formats. It is all the scheme of the insecure business practices of the the PEOPLE that have the big bux. It’s an old complicated story, best left for imagination.:B

“btocher, DRM just stinks of oppression. Please explain your reasoning for the so called exclusivity factor???” There’s nothing “so-called” about it - I’m stating a fact. There are tracks that are ONLY available to download in a DRM-ed format, that you cannot buy on CD. There are lots of them on iTunes (sessions @ AOL series, for example), and presumably other similar services have them too. I resent being called a moron by buying these. If someone can show me where else I can buy them, I’d be only to happy to do so.

“If someone can show me where else I can buy them, I’d be only to happy to do so.” Hmm - as I thought. It’s gone awfully quiet in here…