Consumer Reports tests laptops reliability – One brand wins by far

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Consumer Reports tests laptops reliability – One brand wins by far[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/12/imac-338988_1920-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

The American consumer magazine Consumer Reports has tested the reliability of both Apple and Windows laptops and found out that one brand is by far the most reliable computer manufacturer. In total 58,000 people participated in a survey. They all bought a new laptop between 2010 and 2015 and the numbers show how likely the laptop needs repairs.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/consumer-reports-tests-laptops-reliability-one-brand-wins-by-far-77954/](http://www.myce.com/news/consumer-reports-tests-laptops-reliability-one-brand-wins-by-far-77954/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The Apple MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models were found to the most reliable laptops
The problem here is Windows O/S out plays iOS. So this debate is mute. It is the most used platform the answer would be resounding NO. There are more software for Windows then Apple. So this is more comparing Apples pun to Oranges comparison and should be separated from each other.

Did they factor in that you can buy 2-3 Windows laptops for the price of one MacBook?

[QUOTE=UTR;2764426]Did they factor in that you can buy 2-3 Windows laptops for the price of one MacBook?[/QUOTE]
NO, I think they think were cannon fodder for Apple products. That couldn’t be farther from the truth. The software support for Windows just from the onset has better value in the long run compared to Apple “Control”. In this instance CR has it all wrong.

[QUOTE=UTR;2764426]Did they factor in that you can buy 2-3 Windows laptops for the price of one MacBook?[/QUOTE]

No, just the EFR: Overall Apple laptops have an estimated failure rate (EFR) of 10%

Still… this only says that a very expensive high quality laptop has a low failure rate. As it should, since it’s high quality. :wink:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2764441]No, just the EFR: Overall Apple laptops have an estimated failure rate (EFR) of 10%
Still… this only says that a very expensive high quality laptop has a low failure rate. As it should, since it’s high quality. ;)[/QUOTE]
If some one can buy it constantly for me I am all in to receiving a Apple Pro book every-time it breaks. Still waiting for someone to take me on that offer. :flower:

Also the test of software support is that Microsoft Office is loaded onto more Windows then Mac. That is what makes the difference the software support. Mac for all the hype is lacking Office Support and they know it but like to cherry pick because if they took a overall look Mac for all the prices and hype always take the last place.

Hardware-wise, a Mac is somewhat simpler than a full fledgeded Lenovo T-series like the T410, but it is to be expected as MAC is a Linux at the core (ok. fair enough, BSD, but that is Linux at the core more or less). One of the things that makes them more reliable is at the same time part of the trouble. Apple store! - I know M$ tries to do the same, but it is a little like I said to my daughter when she asked about music programs… There are more for the PC, but good luck finding them. In the world of Windows, you spend your time finding the shit.
The most secure and best OS, by far is Linux where you compile your own programs from open source and then, reality kicks in - no but-fucking coming your way :slight_smile:

And that is coming unbiased from a guy existing in all worlds, just 2 cents worth though :wink:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2764463]Hardware-wise, a Mac is somewhat simpler than a full fledgeded Lenovo T-series like the T410, but it is to be expected as MAC is a Linux at the core (ok. fair enough, BSD, but that is Linux at the core more or less). One of the things that makes them more reliable is at the same time part of the trouble. Apple store! - I know M$ tries to do the same, but it is a little like I said to my daughter when she asked about music programs… There are more for the PC, but good luck finding them. In the world of Windows, you spend your time finding the shit.[/QUOTE]I can find them without trouble. As anything you can find it if you want to find it-it’s not that you can’t.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2764463]The most secure and best OS, by far is Linux where you compile your own programs from open source and then, reality kicks in - no but-fucking coming your way :)[/QUOTE]That bubble was already bursted already. No O/S is secure including Linux. It’s that the biggest O/S Windows is the most used so it gets the most hits-that’s the only reason. Apple has taken their fair share but only reveals them when the Online community outs them.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2764463]And that is coming unbiased from a guy existing in all worlds, just 2 cents worth though ;)[/QUOTE]Same here I lived in all three worlds since college times. Apple, DOS, Windows, Unix(mother to Linux)…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2764473]That bubble was already bursted already. No O/S is secure including Linux. It’s that the biggest O/S Windows is the most used so it gets the most hits-that’s the only reason. Apple has taken their fair share but only reveals them when the Online community outs them.[/QUOTE]

Truth told, no less. Any OS operating under the radar will not take any serious hit… I remember many years ago a MAC user proudly said to me that there were no viruses in the MAC world.
I replied that this was caused by the OS not being common enough - I still remember how angry he became :wink: Turns out I was right even there :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2764476]Truth told, no less. Any OS operating under the radar will not take any serious hit… I remember many years ago a MAC user proudly said to me that there were no viruses in the MAC world.
I replied that this was caused by the OS not being common enough - I still remember how angry he became :wink: Turns out I was right even there :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
So true being under dog makes you a less prime target. It’s all about Money when it boils down. If the O/S that get zombieed becomes a cash cow for them why won’t they keep using it. lmao

But one has to admit Windows made it out of the Barn faster and got adopted alot faster then the Mac did when it first started out.

Has the article been peer reviewed?Â

The macbook air doesn’t surprise me. Â It was one of the first laptops with passive cooling and ssd. No mechanical parts, Â less breakdowns.Â

That said, Â large numbers of windows laptops come with dedicated video chips, meaning mechanical fans for cooling, clogging and overheating.

Given the (high) price tag of apple products, Â purchasers are more likely to take care of the product with fancy padded accessories, and less likely to hand the laptop to the kids.Â

[QUOTE=debro;2764605]Has the article been peer reviewed?

The macbook air doesn’t surprise me. It was one of the first laptops with passive cooling and ssd. No mechanical parts, less breakdowns.

That said, large numbers of windows laptops come with dedicated video chips, meaning mechanical fans for cooling, clogging and overheating.

Given the (high) price tag of apple products, purchasers are more likely to take care of the product with fancy padded accessories, and less likely to hand the laptop to the kids. [/QUOTE]
Unfortunately the market shares are dominated by the Windows O/S regardless of what laptop one wants to think they have. The more products you have the more variety the more chances of problems that is the nature of many system produce more and there will always be those that have problems. Also the cost to replace or repairs is far cheaper in Window system then Mac. That to me makes it far easier to do my DIY repairs then take it to a shop that chargers me just to bring it in. I can fix and get it working right away.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2764463]Hardware-wise, a Mac is somewhat simpler than a full fledgeded Lenovo T-series like the T410, but it is to be expected as MAC is a Linux at the core (ok. fair enough, BSD, but that is Linux at the core more or less).[/QUOTE]

Xercus, I respect your knowlege on computers and operating systems. However, I’m afraid I’ll have to ask you to check your facts when comparing operating systems. While I can agree there are some utilities from the GNU OS in Mac OS X, I seriously doubt there’s one line of Linux code in there. Also, I doubt there is a significant amout of BSD in Linux either, as Linux and BSD are two separate pieces of technology that do two different things: Linux is technically just a (super amazing) kernel (typically bundled with the GNU operating system), while BSD is a complete operating system. Mac is a BSD-derived OS, although it generally doesn’t want to act like any Un*x systems, because Unix is “too complicated” for Apple’s users.