Consumer organisation: More and more laptops require expensive battery replacement

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Consumer organisation: More and more laptops require expensive battery replacement[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/11/9602267353_e600ce2f5d_h-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

It has become harder to replace the battery of laptops. More than half of the devices currently sold don’t allow the battery to replaced by users themselves, according to the Dutch consumer organisation “Consumentenbond”.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/consumer-organisation-more-and-more-laptops-require-expensive-battery-replacement-77734/](http://www.myce.com/news/consumer-organisation-more-and-more-laptops-require-expensive-battery-replacement-77734/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

For what it’s worth, I bought a battery for my Dell for just under $30 on Amazon (before shipping & taxes). I would assume most Dell laptop batteries can be replaced cheaply and easily as well, although I can’t confirm this.

PS: You should probably mention which year the above image was copyrighted. Also, you do realize that Creative Commons is a series of licences right? So, when you say “Creative Commons”, you are not referring to a specific license. In the future, you should mention which CC license you are using, and which version of said license.

Well as long as the laptop is “easy” to open and then replace the battery, I would say that is good enough.

The reason for this is that computers are smaller, and they have moved away from having external battery for laptops. We are seeing more ultrabooks and other tiny devices. And if I am not wrong, it is easy to open a macbook air to replace the battery.

Mobile phones are way worse than laptops, it is crazy hard to replace a battery on your own.

Conclusion:

As long as they keep the design good, and make it possible to replace the battery with little effort, most people who can use a screwdriver or some other simple tools will be able to replace a battery. The tiny percent who can not, well they will have to get the device serviced. Simple as that.

I haven’t had any problems finding replacement batteries. But those with slim laptop and Mac laptop are the one that will have problems. Large midsize laptop have no problems finding batteries. This story is very misleading it should be noted this is for slim laptop only and those with internal batteries not those with removable batteries.

If it would be only the battery…

trend is the whole laptop is on its way to become a trash it if it fails…

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2763150]If it would be only the battery…

trend is the whole laptop is on its way to become a trash it if it fails…[/QUOTE]
That’s the Mantra of the USA “Throw Away Economy”…

Replacing the battery on a MacBook takes just unscrewing lots of screws and handle it with care. Why is this so difficult for consumers?

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2763186]Replacing the battery on a MacBook takes just unscrewing lots of screws and handle it with care. Why is this so difficult for consumers?[/QUOTE]

A global lack of patience for dealing with many tiny screws?

Mr. Belvedere, well that is not a problem, but the trend is moving towards units that you can not open, or it is difficult, just like with mobile phones.

Some of the more modern and tiny laptops (or ultrabooks) are difficult to open, the macbook air is easy, and you can get a replacement battery. The problem is that manufacturers do not want you to service the device.

They want to make it hard or impossible to replace the battery or other things in the units, so that when the battery dies they want you to scrap the unit and buy a new on. This is bad for the environment but not for the economic systems that need continues spending by consumers to keep it going.

Kind of stupid but thats how it works from the economic standpoint. I do not support that and hope that we will take a step back and at least have phones, ultrabooks etc, that you could at least get serviced, if you need a new battery. And the people who are handy, could do it on their own.

… Then again, a battery should remain CRU (customer replaceable unit) and not FRU (field replaceable unit) imo… It seems a little customer unfriendly unless it does.