Constant Versus Variable

So which are people using? I do movie only rips–should I switch over to constant on all films, or just on the ones that are over 2 to 2:30 hours in length?

Advice? Opinions?

I was wondering the same thing. It said to use constant for movies over 2 1/2 hours. What if you do the whole dvd and it contains over 2 1/2 hours worth of footage that includes the movie and the extras. Should variable be used when you just rip the movie and constant when you do the whole dvd? Please clear this up for us. Thanks for all the hard work. This software rocks!

You should transcode with both modes, probably for every disc you do, since there is no cut and dried formula for using one rather than another.
The constant compression engine was developed in an attempt to overcome some of the artefacts that a minority had complained of when transcoding long movies. But it doesn’t automatically follow that it will be best for your puposes. I’m afraid you’ll just have to suck it and see. :wink:

-Pete

Right…I read that. So now I am soliciting opinions from people on how they are using it. is everyone really transcoding twice, or do they have some experiences with how different films are turning out?

Since the new version that lets you choose bitratemode is only few hours old - Its really not possible for anyone to have achieved that much experience yet in how they compare. I would not give much credit to results based on 2-3 tries. Give it a week or something, then people will have much more basis to form an opinion on when to use what.

Here’s my rule of thumb that hasn’t failed me yet. I do all movies in Movie Only mode, 6 ch sound, no subtitles.

The exceptions are:

1. Movies that fit on one disk without compression and
  2. Episode DVDs because I need the menu to choose an episode.

Personally I don’t like all the extras, especially how they do the special effects. It ruins the illusion. For example, when I learned clams and cow intestines were used in Alien, all I see now are clams and cow.

@Mr Peter Gattig:

Does your post have something to do with “Constant vs. Variable” !

@Peter McCall:

I would really like to know if you had found any difference!!! I think that I get better results with 'Constant"…

This is from DVD2one’s How-To page:

Variable Ratio (‘old’ engine, as found in DVD2one V1.0 and V1.1). Recommended for Full Disk Copy mode.

Constant Ratio (‘new’ engine, introduced in DVD2one V1.2). Recommended for Movie-only mode, especially for long movies (2 1/2 hours and more).

Seems like the new Constant Ratio is the way to go for movie-only people…

S.

Probably - but not necessarily. The wise transcoder will always try both modes and see which best suits the DVD he is working on.

Milkman:

If you’re happiest with the ‘constant mode’ engine, then that’s the one for you! No amount of theory is a substitute for practical, empirical observation.

-Pete

The wise transcoder will stick to the authors advises. For extremely long movies the constant bitrate is the right thing to do. If you have a movie that has the standard length of 90-120 min and you want the movie only you can use the variable bitrate in most cases. It will save you a lot of time.

cu
Horst

Well, you clearly know it all, Horst :stuck_out_tongue:

Now what was that saying again…? ‘Rules are made for the guidance of wise men and for the blind obedience of fools’

Dunno why that popped into my head.

-Pete

Hört ihr die Motoren singen:
Ran an den Feind!
Hört ihr’s in den Ohren klingen:
Ran an den Feind!

Dunno why that popped into my head

cu
Horst

You really are a wit, aren’t you?

Why don’t you translate it for the other readers. I’m sure they’ll be just as impressed as I was.

-P

I havent a clue what is going on here :bigsmile:

Neither has he. Anywhere.

-P

i could translate it…but it has no use for others to read.
because it would get worse then it already is

for those interested
http://www.skalman.nu/third-reich/songs-bomben-engeland.htm

Horst

if you think this kind of lyrics or funny…you better visit other forums

strange that you know songs like this

:frowning:

Strange that a guy, presumably from germany, would quote a song about bombing a country that has already kicked his homeland’s arse twice in world wars! Does he think it’s gonna be third time lucky or something?

Besides, we beat germany 5-1 last time didn’t we!

face

Sorry, Gang.

I have to terminate this thread. No politics, remember.

-Pete