Consoles and HD

So,

I got an Xbox 360 and a Nintendo Wii.

Both can do 720p, heck 360 can even do 1080p!

Both have no HDMI.

How to connect these consoles to a single HD-(ready)-TV and still have the sound going through my Dolby 5.1 surround set?

Do i need special cables, switching, extra special tv with lots of inputs?

Hi Mr B.
I usually run my consoles through my theatre box. I just plug each console into the different ports on the back for things like a vcr. If you don’t have all the different inputs on the back there is a switch box you can buy that has the A/V inputs like this

On my current PAL-60 setup i also use a scart-av-selector, because the tv only has scart in. But is there also a non-hdmi-but-still-720p kind of selector for this?

I’m not familiar with the xBox 360 or the wii. But for a proper HD connection you can use a DVI (HDCP compliant) or component RGB. I wouldn’t think a standard composite video AV connection would have the bandwidth to cope.

The Wii does not support 720p.
I’d say use component for Xbox 360 and SCART (since you live in Europe?) for Wii. Best would be component for both but I doubt your TV has two unless you live in the US. Xbox 360 supports optical (only way to get true 5.1 surround sound) and Wii only supports stereo (red and white RCA cables).
//Danne

You are absolutely right. Wii has a max of 480p

I’d say use component for Xbox 360 and SCART (since you live in Europe?) for Wii.
Seems Wii cannot use the maximal 480p in SCART, only in component.

Best would be component for both but I doubt your TV has two
Current tv only has one scart.

Xbox 360 supports optical (only way to get true 5.1 surround sound)
Got that working already

and Wii only supports stereo (red and white RCA cables).
It also supports Dolby Pro Logic, but you’re right on the cables. Also connected those to my surround system.

I guess i 720p tv should be more than sufficient then, if it has got two component connections.