Console wars given new fodder thanks to Square Enix

vbimport

Console wars given new fodder thanks to Square Enix.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/08/Ja72S2.png[/newsimage]Square Enix (the developer behind Final Fantasy XIII) used footage from a Playstation 3 in a commercial for the Xbox 360 version of FFXIII, and got caught.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/console-wars-given-new-fodder-thanks-to-square-enix-33384/](http://www.myce.com/news/console-wars-given-new-fodder-thanks-to-square-enix-33384/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Slightly Better? SLIGHTLY better? If you’re blind, or perhaps you’re the someone that people are referring to when they say the phrase “It’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye”.

The level of detail/clarity and colour depth in the PS3 version of the images is amazing compared to the xbox360 version.

Given that these pictures were taken from CUTSCENES, which have been heavily tweaked for optimal performance on each console … it’s scary how poor the Xbox360 has done in those pictures.

I guess I can cut some slack on the Xbox, since it’s a port … but seriously … the cutscenes look that bad … and cutscenes are the BEST visuals a game has … how bad is the actual game on Xbox360?

Somehow, I suspect that Square Enix knew exactly what they were doing, and while it’s probably not serious enough to consider it as false advertising, it’s obviously intentionally misleading (for xbox360 owners).

Does the Xbox360 support deep colour & the full colour range? It seriously looks like the Xbox has rendered the pictures in a compressed colour space, and perhaps even a lower resolution.

For me, visual is nice, but gameplay means more to me. I suspect it is the same game regardless of the platform. I own a PS3, but there are more XBOX360 owners in my area. So much that the local stores have more Wii and XBOX360 selections than PS3. I went with the PS3 because I have seen too many of the XBOX360 hardware fail with red-ring of death problems and I think it is crazy to charge extra for XBOX Live.

More of my friends play Modern Warfare 2 on XBOX than PS3 and I suspect the same will be true with this game too and I doubt they will feel cheated or care… Most of them play on SD TV’s anyway. They are happy with their XBOX and I am happy with my PS3.

The PC version would kick both PS3 and XBOX versions to the curb. How do ya like them apples?

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2539200]The PC version would kick both PS3 and XBOX versions to the curb. How do ya like them apples?[/QUOTE]

Does not matter to me… I work on a PC; I use the PS3, Wii or whatever as an escape… Games on a PC are incredible and I agree, better than consoles in most cases, but I need to get out of my home office when I can and into the living room to game with my kids. I own no PC games because of this. My friends game like crazy on PC’s as well and have consoles.

[QUOTE=SithTracy;2539262]Does not matter to me… I work on a PC; I use the PS3, Wii or whatever as an escape… Games on a PC are incredible and I agree, better than consoles in most cases, but I need to get out of my home office when I can and into the living room to game with my kids. I own no PC games because of this. My friends game like crazy on PC’s as well and have consoles.[/QUOTE]

Games are definitely funner on the big screen . . . :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=SithTracy;2539262]Does not matter to me… I work on a PC; I use the PS3, Wii or whatever as an escape… Games on a PC are incredible and I agree, better than consoles in most cases, but I need to get out of my home office when I can and into the living room to game with my kids. I own no PC games because of this. My friends game like crazy on PC’s as well and have consoles.[/QUOTE]
I think that’s a commonly overlooked/unconsidered reason that many people don’t think about. I also work all day on my PC and don’t want to spend more time in there gaming. The PS3 in the living room provides a change of scenery. I’ve never bought PC games.