Console Gaming

I do believe that 2003 will be the year for online console gaming. The question is who’s going to be KING? Will the PS2 rule or will m$ XBOX come out fighting?

Ivanhoe…

The TRUTH is a LIE waiting to be told

The PS3 is rumored to be in development. “Cell” is nearing completion and that means that a Playstation 3 will be here by the end of the year.

Hmm, console designers sure do want to make their consoles into computers, dont they? :cool:

Originally posted by Ivanhoe
[B]I do believe that 2003 will be the year for online console gaming. The question is who’s going to be KING? Will the PS2 rule or will m$ XBOX come out fighting?

Ivanhoe…
[/B]

Microsofts strategy is transparent and evil, but pretty smart. They’re using the old airline trick where, if a small company is having very low rates, a big company will sell at a great loss to all the areas the small company is flying to. It puts the small company out of business. It hurts the big one a little, but it is nothing compared to having another major competitor around.

They’re trying to command the console business, and then beat out anybody trying to (re)enter the market using monopoly tactics.

But Sony has a strong following, and an extremely powerful console. They just can’t figure out how to use it. :wink: I think the average CPU usage is still somewhere around 30% on it.

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
The PS3 is rumored to be in development. “Cell” is nearing completion and that means that a Playstation 3 will be here by the end of the year.

I thought I read somewhere that PS3 and XBOX II were coming out around 2005-06??

:confused:

afaik - there arent many must have games for these systems coming out. of course, maybe i have a different idea of must have than most people. xbox has halo 2 (maybe), and thats about it as far as my excitement level goes. no idea on the ps2, probably (for me) just ffx2. and zelda on the cube. thank goodness the roomie is the one that bankrolls console gaming.

oh yes, and metroid prime is the best console game out. for any system.

Originally posted by cmr2003x
[B]

I thought I read somewhere that PS3 and XBOX II were coming out around 2005-06??

:confused: [/B]

So did I… not that I care :slight_smile:

Can’t really understand why ppl get to buy game consoles… They can put a little more money and get a pc for instead. Then they can play the shit out of the pc, or learn some very useful stuff from it. :slight_smile:

I have a PS2 w/ the network adaptor, hooked up to a switch, sharing the net. Everything works like a charm, network was up in 10 minutes, 5 was used to type in my name. :bigsmile: I’m playing EA’s Live 2003 atm, and I must say it’s better than I expect it. The network thing was used primarily for streaming divx from the computer to PS2 using QCast Tuner though.

Originally posted by RedHatted
Can’t really understand why ppl get to buy game consoles… They can put a little more money and get a pc for instead. Then they can play the shit out of the pc, or learn some very useful stuff from it. :slight_smile:

Because consoles are dummy proof, while PCs are prone to be torture by psychos who prefer water cooling rather than conventional air cooling.:slight_smile: And consoles rarely, if ever, crashes (talking about consoles other than XBox here, since XBox is a neutered PC).

I have a high-end gaming computer, Dreamcast and a PS2 (X-Box is coming soon). I play games on all three depending on what types of games I want play.

However, I do prefer my 60 inch tv rather than my 17 inch dual monitors for gaming.

If you wanna play games get a gaming console, if you wanna program/computer use a computer, if you wanna make a phone call use a phone, if you wanna fly use a plane, if you wanna drive use a car,…(you get the idea)

Originally posted by cmr2003x
[B]

:confused: [/B]

I heard that aswell for the PS3 but i didn’t hear about Xbox doing a second release

Playstation 3’s Processor: 100x Faster than Pentium 4

Sony and Toshiba have sealed a deal with Rambus for a hot new memory chip which will ensure that the Playstation 3 will have blaring speed and unparalleled sound and graphics capability.

The two companies are also working on a complex new processor for the Playstation 3 called “Cell”, which will be able to perform about 100 times faster than a 2.5 GHz Pentium 4 chip.

The Rambus memory that Playstation 3 will use must be able to deal with a processor this fast. “Yellowstone” can process data three times faster than currently available, over 100 gigabits per second.

Source: http://news.com.com/

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-979340.html?tag=fd_ots

Cell, which is expected to come out in late 2004 or early 2005…

I hope everyone saw this when it was published:
http://www.theonion.com/onion3847/ghost_of_christmas_future.html

I was about to ask the question why people didn’t emulate console games and play them on their pcs, but then I used my head and ran a google search - first match was a CDfreaks post.
:slight_smile:

Quite honestly, it is because people are stupid. With a console, you plug the game in and go… There are alot of people out there the get nervous just to power up a computer. You know the kind? The ones you want to bash in their face with a sledge hammer because they ask you stupid questions that make you want to rip your own hair out.

Also, the game companies will make millions more releasing PS2, GC, XBox games out on console as opposed to their PC counterpart. While it is possible to copy the console games, it is not nearly as common as PC pirated games…

So you have a market, and you have the money to be made by many companies.

And a side note, when I arrived to Korea one year ago everyone had PS2’s and were happy. When I left last week I would say 90% had XBox. The tables are turning, and Xbox live is very nice…Much better than PS2’s offering.

I have a PS2 - it kicks ass :bigsmile:

Cant wait for Fianl Fantasy X 2

Its more comfortable to play on PS2 than on PC - I can relax on a sofa with the controller and go bashing ppl in GTA3.

Aslo the games look great on a 29" TV than on a 17" monitor. If you have a wide screen projector - its a totally different experience.

Most important : If you are buying a DVD player - bettter get a PS2/Xbox. Thats why I bought a PS2.

If you dont have $$$ play on a PC :stuck_out_tongue:

You can’t LAN with consoles… Which rules them out, at least for me. Sure, internet play is possible, but I prefer a LAN with whizzing computers, boiling switches, and screams of agony as somebody gets a frag with that useless Glock, handsaw or whatever.
And I only play stuff that got WSAD and a mouse :slight_smile:

you can lan with consoles :wink:

Well I dont think that ppl that buy consoles are stupid I have a PS2 and a PC and I had a PS1 Moded and I think of it this way I live for DVD’s and I havea console that has a Built in DVD playes sude I can get an emulator for the Games but takes a lot of tweeking cause of the Video cards and I rather play PC games on the pc and console on the consle and any way I am glad to say I bought PS2 for MGS2 and along the way I got Onimusha 1 and 2, Red faction 1 and 2 ,Teken tag and teken 4 I have nothing to look forward to as of now AKA must have games but I have a built in DVD player to help ease the pain of the $420 I payed for it and the Memory card and a game.

I wish Splinter Cell had come out for PS2 big fan Of Tom Clancy games love Ghost Recon (PC) and am playing now the second expansion (Island Thunder) any way you need at least one console besides the PC and if your gonna get one get PS2 I fear that Xbox will while playing a game popup a blue screen with the words “fatal exception flaw system Halted” I would not live with that.

Any way thats my point of view

Greets to all :bigsmile:

splinter cell is coming out for the ps2, but i doubt it will look as good as it does on xbox.

Originally posted by Huzzy
I have a XBOX, am i stupid?

Not because you have an Xbox :bigsmile:

ckin2001 splinter cell is coming out for the ps2, but i doubt it will look as good as it does on xbox.

Hope its looks as good as MGS2 loves the graphics on that one and has it comes out on Xbox yet (MGS2) I mean and how much better is it than the PS2 version if any.

and thanx for the Info wellcomes news

Greetz :bigsmile: