Connecting various HD components to new Sony Blue Ray

vbimport

Hi,

I want to purchase a Sony BDP-S350 Blue ray disc player. Currently I have the following:

1. Sony DVD Home Theatre System (DAV-Dx150) with Component, composite and S-video only. No digital coaxial/optical

2. Sony Bravia HD 1080p Projector with HDMI, component

3. HD Scientific American Cable box with DVI, component, composite, s-video

I was thinking of connecting the blue ray disc via HDMI to the sony projector and the cable box to the sony projector via component. Does this seem feasible? How do I achieve surround sound from the sony receiver (DAV-DX150) with both the sony blue ray and the cable box with only one composite hookup? Is there another option?

Thank you,
SHM

Unfortunately, you will need coaxial/optical or HDMI to have surround sound.

This is sometimes the downside to buying little mini home theater systems.

:cool::cool:

[quote=sirnu1;2176561]I was thinking of connecting the blue ray disc via HDMI to the sony projector and the cable box to the sony projector via component. Does this seem feasible? [/quote]Yes you will get hidef video with this setup. But audio is another problem as you already know.

How do I achieve surround sound from the sony receiver (DAV-DX150) with both the sony blue ray and the cable box with only one composite hookup?
You can’t get surround sound unless you have Multichannel inputs, Optical/coaxial or HDMI.

Is there another option?
If you can afford Sony Bravia 1080p projector you probably can afford to upgrade your home theather. There are plenty Home Theather in a Box (HTIB) such as from Sony, Yamaha or Onkyo for $300 and up. For example from Sony (it seems you prefer Sony): http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644481278

But to let you know, the BDP-S350 does not decode DTS HD Master Audio internally, it only bitstream. Most HTIB also does not decode DTS HD MA so you will not get the DTS HD MA glory but you can here the core DTS.

Look at an AVR such as the Onkyo 606. Multiple HDMI inputs and a single HDMI to your projector. It’s an AVR only, but you should be able to reuse your existing speakers.

Thanks for all your help. I will see what I can work out.