Connecting USB hdd to DVD players

Greetings

I use my standalone dvd player to watch divx movies that I record on dvd media. My player has a slot to connect a USB drive too, so I tried connecting a 2gb SD card via a crad reader, with 2 movies saved on it, and it worked fine in the player. But when I tried connecting a USB HDD, it failed to read anything from it.
Does anyone know what could be the reason? and is there something that I can do to make my player read from a usb hdd like it does from SD cards?

do you know the brand and model number of the dvd player?

in theory, you’re right that it SHOULD work the same, but sometimes firmware (and possibly even hardware) put restraints on the size that can be read.

for example my cell phone can read up to a 2gb micro SD card, but it freaks out if you put a larger capacity one in it.

that being said, USB is USB is USB…it should work… the first things i’d check would be:

• does the player require usb 2.0? if there’s anything about this in the documentation try to make sure you’re using a USB 2.0 drive. normally they’re compatible either way, but I’ve seen stranger things happen!

• some usb drives draw their power from the computer itself. does your drive have an AC adapter (ie a separate power source)? I’m not sure a dvd player could provide power to the drive.

• and as always double check the obvious stuff…power switches, etc (those are the types of mistakes I usually make!)

I’m not really familiar with dvd players that have a usb input so these are just basic things that came to mind in thinking of potential issues. if you could post the brand and model of the player it would definitely be helpful especially if other forum members have experience with that particular device.

I believe I saw [B]ripit[/B] try this before on here and the HD had to be formatted in FAT32, not NTFS… if memory serves me correctly that is.

Hi [B]reasons[/B] :slight_smile:

hi there! just dropped by and figured I’d check out a few posts and then I couldn’t stop myself from posting :slight_smile:

if the file system of the drive in question IS in fact the case then the original poster should also be advised that FAT32 has file size restrictions. This is important depending on what types of files and the length of the movies you’ll be putting onto the drive. The file size restriction on fat 32 is 4GB if I remember correctly.

a good way to test this might be to format a small partition as fat32 then see if data on that partition is recognized by your player.

also, please still post the type of player because now I’m just plain interested :slight_smile:

First, you have to find out the hard drive your Stand Alone Player is USB 1, 1.1, or USB 2 compatible same thing for other side of connection.

Thanks so much guys for giving me your thoughts and good help.
I’m happy to report that I’ve finally managed to make it work, thank you all so much.

reasonsnotrules, my dvd player is ‘G.Star’, model: DIVX-555, its made in China, and its dead cheap (about $50).
Since the day I bought it, I was trying to plugin a hdd in its usb slot. It turned out that a cooling fan that I was attaching to the hdd was having 2 loose wires. Once I removed the fan, and powered the hdd alone, it worked fine.
I’m not even using a usb drive, I’m actually using a standard desktop hdd. I bought a cheap $5 usb adaptor, which turns any normal hdd into an external usb drive. It comes with its own power supply for the drive, and it comes with double data plug to connect to either a desktop or laptop.
You’re right, formatting the drive in fat32 is needed. My drive is 120gb. I saved 50 movies in it, and they work like a charm. 120gb can take more than 150 700mb movies hands down! I even noticed that the time the player takes to start a movie or move to the next/backword movie is faster now than the time it used to takes with dvd media.

Its a fantastic idea to have a movie jukebox using an old hdd. It saves you the time and cost of burning dvds all the time. And its very convenient for lazy people like me, not having to go pop in dvds all the time. Its also better for the kids who now can browse all their favorite movies without touching any dvds. I sort movies in folders for easier browsing.

If there are any details anyone needs to know, just ask.

and about usb: both the usb adapter and the dvd player are usb2. But when I connect my hdd to my desktop, I dont use usb, I directly use IDE internal connection. I’ll buy 2 hdd mobile racks, to attach each permenantly in my computer and dvd player, so that I don’t have to plug/unplug when I need to add/delete movies or songs.

thanks for checking back with that info! that’s definitely a great idea.

I already have an ide to usb adapter and that little hunk of plastic is a lifesaver for sure.

I’ll agree with that got one a couple of weeks ago and now have lots of old HDD’s being reused for storage, just need to decide on a decent indexing system now so I know what I’ve got where :doh:

Nice idea … i’m gonna try it with my next purchase of DVD player (with USB) …

[quote=sallam;1772375]Thanks so much guys for giving me your thoughts and good help.
I’m happy to report that I’ve finally managed to make it work, thank you all so much.

reasonsnotrules, my dvd player is ‘G.Star’, model: DIVX-555, its made in China, and its dead cheap (about $50).
Since the day I bought it, I was trying to plugin a hdd in its usb slot. It turned out that a cooling fan that I was attaching to the hdd was having 2 loose wires. Once I removed the fan, and powered the hdd alone, it worked fine.
I’m not even using a usb drive, I’m actually using a standard desktop hdd. I bought a cheap $5 usb adaptor, which turns any normal hdd into an external usb drive. It comes with its own power supply for the drive, and it comes with double data plug to connect to either a desktop or laptop.
You’re right, formatting the drive in fat32 is needed. My drive is 120gb. I saved 50 movies in it, and they work like a charm. 120gb can take more than 150 700mb movies hands down! I even noticed that the time the player takes to start a movie or move to the next/backword movie is faster now than the time it used to takes with dvd media.

Its a fantastic idea to have a movie jukebox using an old hdd. It saves you the time and cost of burning dvds all the time. And its very convenient for lazy people like me, not having to go pop in dvds all the time. Its also better for the kids who now can browse all their favorite movies without touching any dvds. I sort movies in folders for easier browsing.

If there are any details anyone needs to know, just ask.[/quote]

Hi there: Nice Idea and solution.

What about connecting the DVD Player USB port directly to a USB port in a PC? Is there any soft available to select what drive/partition/folder to be mapped to the usb port?

In the previos solution, does enyone knows how does the DVD player sees a HD with two or more FAT32 partitions.?

Thanks a lot in advance

[QUOTE=reasonsnotrules;1772678]thanks for checking back with that info! that’s definitely a great idea.

I already have an ide to usb adapter and that little hunk of plastic is a lifesaver for sure.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think mutli partition would work when connected to the dvd player.

I gave up using my hdd with my dvd player. Too many movies proved to be confusing, specially when you get to the point when you have to decide which to delete to make room for new ones and which were so good that you want to keep. A better alternative now is to buy one of those new 8gb flash drives, they’re so cheap these days ($10) and saving 10 DvDrip movies in it takes only 2 minutes. Its easier, plus deleting and replacing with new movies is now much less confusing.

yeah i have a Divx/DVD/USB player and i have used both thumb/flash drives and a HDD’s formated to FAT32 and it is easier for me to just use a thumb/flash drive. The player seems to recognize the thumb/flash drives faster also. I’m using a RCA DRC285.