Connecting two computers

I have a desktop computer with ext. modem and a laptop with internal modem. Both are running on WinXP.

Is it possible to do a direct modem connection between the two computers ? The laptop has a built-in ethernet but my desktop doesn’t have a NIC.

What are the steps to connect both the computers using modems ?

With standard your modems can’t, AFAIK. ISDN should be abled to do it.

My advice: go out and buy a NIC for your desktop. A Realtek 8139 based NIC only costs about $8 here…

have you tried to connect your pc and laptop via your serial or parallel ports?

Do what dee-ehn recommended, get a NIC. There are more things you can do than connection through serial ports.

You’ll need 2 NICs and a switch. Get a NIC for your desktop and follow this guide @ Tweaktown. And yes, you can sharing your modem (doesn’t have to be ISDN and up). I’ve done ICS w/ a 56K modem for 2 PCs and a PS2 before I switched to DSL. I’d use your desktop as the gateway and set ICS for the modem in it through the NIC and share that w/ the laptop. Disable the modem in your laptop.

Originally posted by liteonmania
[B]I have a desktop computer with ext. modem and a laptop with internal modem. Both are running on WinXP.

Is it possible to do a direct modem connection between the two computers ? The laptop has a built-in ethernet but my desktop doesn’t have a NIC.

What are the steps to connect both the computers using modems ? [/B]

the only way to accomplish this without the aid of the phone company is when you have an in-house central operating system where all the phones can call each other (say you can dial your kitchen phone if you press 5 or something).

the other way to accomplish this is using two phonelines and let the phone company charge you a lot of peseta’s (or dollars) everytime you dial your other computer :slight_smile:

there are zillions of alternatives :

parrallell linking ,using a laplink cable
serial linking , using a cross over serial cable
nic 2 nic , using a crossover utp cable
nic 2 hub/switch 2 nic , using two utp cables
bluetooth
wifi
usb key
use rewritable cd’s
etc , etc

I think I’ll get a NIC. Thanks for the advice !

Originally posted by Stoner
You’ll need 2 NICs and a switch.

no need for a switch. its too expensive for a two computer solution.

Well… yeah, if he’s cheap and all, just buy a cross-over cable for PC2PC. I wrote that 'cause I use a D-Link switch ($35) for 2 PCs and a PS2.

If there will be a need for more networked systems in the future, it might be a good idea to buy a home networking kits. These kits often come cheap and usually contain 2 NICs and a 4 port hub…

2 nics and hub.

I have a switch that the machines are plugged in. And it goes to a router in the other room.