Connecting headphones to speaker outputs

vbimport

I’d like to purchase TDKs new wireless headphones but the transmitter only connects through the front panel headphone jack (Pioneer VSX-818V). The problem with this is if you use this jack it mutes the sound from the speakers. I need a way to use the headphones AND the speakers at the same time. I’m thinking if there was a black box I could buy I could connect to my speaker outputs (without screwing up the impedance) with headphone outputs I’d be Ok. Any ideas anyone?

I haven’t done this for a long time but the “mute” done by plugging in a headphone jack used to be done by breaking the Ground to the speakers.If this is they way your front headphone jack works then all you need to do is solder a "jumper wire " that prevents the break of the Ground.
Of course this requires going inside the stereo.
If you are set on doing this from the back of the stereo speaker connections.I didn’t use “rear” on purpose to avoid confusion.
I don’t know if they make this adapter & someone probably does.
I think you could make one yourself with a female jack for headphones.
Probably available at Radio Shack.Just solder some good speaker wire to the female jack & connect it like you would extra speakers.Even better if you have an empty B speaker output.
BTW don’t use rear or center speaker outputs for this.

Don’t go mucking about inside your receiver because once you let the magic smoke out, you’ll never get it back in…
Get one of these http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5612&seq=1&format=2 and connect the 2 RCA male plugs to your CDR/Tape/MD analog audio OUT connections on the rear of the receiver and then plug your wireless headphones transmitter into the 3.5mm female connector…The signal level may be a little high for your use, but you should be able to control the volume on your new headphones if the volume level isn’t controlled through the receiver…

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2510956]Don’t go mucking about inside your receiver because once you let the magic smoke out, you’ll never get it back in…
[/QUOTE]

LOL, thats great :smiley:

servtrkr, did your wireless headphones come with a mini headphone jack adapter? The cable that pipemanid found has a 3.5mm jack, but the front panel on your receiver is a 1/4" style. I looked on monoprice and couldn’t find it but theirs one on ebay Cable Link, its more money but its the right size.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2511018]servtrkr, did your wireless headphones come with a mini headphone jack adapter? The cable that pipemanid found has a 3.5mm jack, but the front panel on your receiver is a 1/4" style. I looked on monoprice and couldn’t find it but theirs one on ebay Cable Link, its more money but its the right size.[/QUOTE]

His wireless headphones transmitter comes with a 3.5mm plug…I always try to do my research…:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=servtrkr;2510919]I’d like to purchase TDKs new wireless headphones but the transmitter only connects through the front panel headphone jack (Pioneer VSX-818V). The problem with this is if you use this jack it mutes the sound from the speakers. I need a way to use the headphones AND the speakers at the same time. I’m thinking if there was a black box I could buy I could connect to my speaker outputs (without screwing up the impedance) with headphone outputs I’d be Ok. Any ideas anyone?[/QUOTE]

Here’s what I don’t get and a little confused how you going to even hear the sounds from your speakers when your headphones are covering your ears??? If you really want enjoyment from a receiver that is why they have 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 or 8.1 setups for surround sounds enjoyment. What your trying to do just doesn’t follow what your asking to do both. You might want to study your setup a little more closer.

The OP obviously thought out what they want to do and doesn’t need your approval…If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem…:rolleyes:

Can we plug back in the sensitivity box and play a little nicer :confused:

I can recommend Omega 3 supplements. :smiley:

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2511093]The OP obviously thought out what they want to do and doesn’t need your approval…If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem…:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Excuse you whom said your my parents?? dude get a chill pill …

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2511078].I always try to do my research…:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Should follow your own words … when trying to act like the OP…

[QUOTE=eric93se;2511113]Can we plug back in the sensitivity box and play a little nicer :confused:

I can recommend Omega 3 supplements. :D[/QUOTE]

Evening Primrose Oil is said to help as well. :bigsmile:

Quoted your post as perhaps it was missed the first time round. :wink:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2511159]Excuse you whom said [B]your [/B]my parents?? dude get a chill pill …[/QUOTE]

That’s you’re…
You’re welcome…

I’m telling Duke…