Connecting guitar to computer

Hello Folks :slight_smile:

I am having an issue here. I want to connect my guitar to my computer soundcard. I went to RadioShack and I was going to but the cables according to what he said. That is it. He told me to connect my 1/4" guitar Cable to a (1/4" to RCA Cable) as this will do the trick to change sound from Mono to stereo and then connect the connect the RCA to (RCA to 1/8"). I don’t know if that is correct or if there is a cheaper method.

I want to know also in the “Line in” jack in the soundcard Stereo or Mono. And what is the quality issues that I will face and some advices about how to solve it if any.

i appreciate any help. :slight_smile:

Thank you. :cool:

If you go the mono 1/4" to dual RCAadapter, it wll create a dual channel but the signal will be the same on both sides … I am running mine through my RP80 effects pedal, which has a stereo emulator built in, and this combo seems to work quite well at defining the sides a bit better… hope this helps :bigsmile::cool:

Normally the line in or mic in (you can use either) are stereo… the mini jack to my soundcard is a stereo to dual RCA adapter as well…

Hi,

the line-in of sound cards is always stereo.

The main problem might be the output level of your guitar. If in doubt, it would be better to use an amplifier with Line-Out to connect to your computer.
You may have a look into the manual of your guitar.
Also:

Michael

About the Guitar output Level, there will be no problem. I will buy Guitar Rig 3 and use built in amplifiers to boost the volume level.

So, It will be better for me to use a Pedal to be able to convert Mono to Stereo and the RCA method won’t be working well, right ? (Only Mirroring the Left Channel to the right as well)

Thanks for the replies. If there is any other methods, please let me know :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Yamadron;2287662]About the Guitar output Level, there will be no problem. I will buy Guitar Rig 3 and use built in amplifiers to boost the volume level.

So, It will be better for me to use a Pedal to be able to convert Mono to Stereo and the RCA method won’t be working well, right ? (Only Mirroring the Left Channel to the right as well)

Thanks for the replies. If there is any other methods, please let me know :)[/QUOTE]

I run my 6 string and bass straight from my rp80/bp50 processor to the puter, no amp … my Marshall is now in the corner collecting dust :doh:

I don’t want to connect my Guitar to the amplifier(Line 6) and then the to soundcard. Simply, If I raised the amplifier volume accedintly, It will fry my soundcard. The problem that I don’t have any more much money to buy pedals, that is why I am looking for the most efficient cheapest method.

Btw, I forgot to mention, I want to play Live and my Soundcard has ASIO drivers installed. All the problem is the external connections

Can usually find a used Digitech RP50 for between 30 and 50$ and it saves alot of BS … Just make sure it has the power supply with it or that you have a 9v 300ma PS around :wink:

It does take batteries as well but I haven’t bothered as I only use mine at home, so don’t know how it acts when the batteries get a little tired…

Myself and another CDF’r is using the same pedal with the same results, only I am now running mine thru my Kaoss pad as well for some serious reverb punch and twisty things :wink:

As I told you, Cables will be much cheaper for me. I already spent lot of money and I can’t wait XD
Well, what is your pedal output jack ? It is a 1/8" plug or USB ?

Thanks.

Is a 1/4" stereo (balanced) output, which I have a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo adapter (7$ at Radio shack) with a male x male 1/8" patch to my soundcard

A balanced jack will not work in an unbalanced input suchas my guitar as it will only pick up one side of it… so would need an unbalanced 1/4" adapter to 1/8" balanced. then a 1/8" stereo male x male patch in order to bypass any kinda processor (pedal) That I can’t help you with, cuz I never found one and went the path of least resistance :wink: you may have better luck locating the adapters than me though.

Anyway I will see if there is any hope with the cables. If I found no hope, then I think I will use the 1/4" to RCA to 1/8". It seems the only available option in front of me.

Thanks for all support :slight_smile:

EDIT: What about USB connections, like connecting the guitar to a 1/4" to USB ? Would be there any problems with stereo and mono settings ?

If the adapter is a stereo jack to R & L RCA it will not run 2 channels it will only run 1 side … it has to be a unbalanced 1/4" jack to R & L RCA …

As per USB I would have to see the app info to see what the software is capable of …

Damn near easier to make a 1/4" to RCA adapter, just run 2 wires off the 1/4" center post instead of one …

Ahh about the RCA adapter. It has 2 RCA(female) connections then 1/8" plug male.
and the other one was one 1/4" plug female to 1 RCA(male) connection

i am sorry Soul. I am new to such things. So please, I hope you can answer my questions. :slight_smile:
I hope I am not annoying. xD

No worries, still goin thru a learning curve on all this stuff myself … the male end is what you need to pay attention to … if it has 3 segments it is a balanced jack, if it has only 2 segments it is an unbalanced jack
The input to your guitar is unbalanced, and you need to fool it into being balanced … any good with a soldering gun?

So about the balanced and unbalanced things, Should the RCA(male) be balanced or unbalanced to make the connection perfect ?

Not much. But there is someone who could help my with soldering. I look for not to go thru such soldering and these things.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

RCA are mono only, so without 2 rca’s you will not have 2 channels

1/4" audio jacks (and most audio mini jacks) are either balanced (3 segments) or unbalanced (2 segments)

Picture of balanced and unbalanced http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/93/Jack_plug.png/300px-Jack_plug.png

Ohh, I didn’t know that really. Yeah my 1/4" guitar cable is unbalanced(So it will only supply Left Hand channel if connected to soundcard directly). And we need to fool it to make it balanced, right ?
What if I bought a balanced 1/4" male x male (start x end) Would It fit in the guitar or there will be problems ?

About the RCA, As I understand I will need 2 RCA output (in the 1/4" to RCA(male) connection), Is that right ?

If you look at the pic, you will see the 3 segments of the balanced jack.

Here is a pic of a unbalanced input like what is in your guitar … http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tuzGmc0-L.SL500_AA280.jpg

It only has 1 prong to make contact with the shaft… a balanced jack needs 2 inside to make the proper 2 connections, so, no a balanced jack into an unbalanced input will not work.

And yes you need 2 RCA’s and if your friend can figure it , you need a male input jack (1/4" unbalanced) 2 pieces of coaxial and 2 male rca’s, then solder the 2 center coaxial wires to the center post on the 1/4", and the 2 sheathings to the ground tab and it will fool it then

So there is no way to escape from soldering and to solve the problem at same time.

There is something in my mind. What if 1/4"(male unbalanced Guitar plug) --> 1/4" to 2 RCA (female x male) --> 2 RCA to 1/8" (female x male).

What will happen if I did that?

Will it be still left Hand Channel only, or It will be both ?

Thanks very much, Soul. You were a great hand of help for me today and I learnt some new things from you. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Yamadron;2287730]So there is no way to escape from soldering and to solve the problem at same time.

There is something in my mind. What if 1/4"(male unbalanced Guitar plug) --> 1/4" to 2 RCA (female x male) --> 2 RCA to 1/8" (female x male).

What will happen if I did that?

Will it be still left Hand Channel only, or It will be both ?

Thanks very much, Soul. You were a great hand of help for me today and I learnt some new things from you. :)[/QUOTE]

Yup, will be the same results without that 2nd contact or wire… so yup, either manufacture an adapter… maybe find one now ya know kinda what yer lookin for, or get a pedal with stereo emulation :wink:

And you are welcome, I hope it helps in some way :slight_smile:

About “maybe find one now ya know kinda” What cable are you talking about ? XD

Do You mean the one like that I will manufacture? If you have a picture, that will really help.

Yea, It helped much. I was going to buy the cables and I wasn’t going to be able to return them back as they will be used.