Connecting External hard drive to IDE

[qanda]This thread is about the Seagate Maxtor OneTouch 4 mini, 160GB. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello, I found out my external hard drive (Maxtor 4 OneTouch Mini) is not working, it will not read the drive anymore. My question is how do I hook this up to the IDE in the case of my Dell Dimension 8200 desktop computer? I have taken the external out of the case, and I do not see how to connect it. I have some pictures of the drive out of the case. Can anyone assist me in a tutorial or a guide in how to connect this drive to my computer so I can attempt data recovery? Any help would be great, thank you. Images too large for post, so I linked the jpg files.

Hi and Welcome!

you are not ready with dismantling the unit :wink: The part with the USB connector needs to be removed also (very carefully).
You need to find out the interface of the drive: Sata or IDE. Perhaps there is a sticker on the other side of the drive, that is helpful. The precise model number is enough in order to see the specs on Seagate website.

In case of Sata, you may either need a free Sata connector on your motherboard (read the manual to find out), or you have to install a PCI Sata controller card.
With IDE, you need an inexpensive adapter.

Michael

Thank you. I will look into the type and give it a try. Thanks again for your help.