Connecting different HD equipments (TV, Blu-ray player, HD box, laptop, sound system)

vbimport

I’m interested in buying TV, Blu-ray player, sound system, HD box and Im worried about the all connectivity between them. The image is relatively easy to be setup since the most of the TV’s have 3 or 4 HDMI inputs.

What about the sound ? What all the above must have (inputs, outputs) so I can enjoy a digital 5.1 sound ?

For example:

TV - 3HDMI inputs, 1 audio optical (output or input)

HD BOX: 1HDMI output, 1 audio optical output

Blu-ray player: 1HDMI output, 1 audio optical out

Sound System: 2 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output, 1 optical in, 1 optical out

Laptop: 1HDMI output

I can see 2 possibilities of connections:

1. Connect all HDMI to the TV and use an optical audio out from TV to the audio system or

2. Connect all HDMI to the audio system and use and HDMI cable to the TV (but the audio system has 2 HDMI inputs not 3)

So which is the best connection so I can enjoy true HD picture and sound ? What type and number of inputs/outputs must have the TV, blu-ray player, sound system, HD box ?

Optical outs from TVs do not offer 5.1 audio, only 2-ch. The exception is the audio from broadcast HD channels, which will be sent out as 5.1.

By far the easiest, and usually highest quality solution is to use HDMI from all components that have it. All can be routed through your AVR for both audio and video. Your AVR then becomes the switcher. It’s necessary to send HDMI to the AVR from a BluRay player in order to get the benefit of HD audio codecs.

AVRs are lagging behind the demand for more HDMI inputs, and usually it’s required to spend a lot more to get them. A good solution is a $40 HDMI switch from Monoprice which will give you 4 inputs and one output to the AVR.

Unless you need HDMI for audio from the laptop, just send that directly to the TV with an optical or coax from the laptop for audio to the AVR.

Also is that true that normal cheaper HDMI cables (5 feet) are not recommended if you have a high-end LCD TV (120Hz, 12 bit) ? What need to be specified on the HDMI cable to have the best image ?

Check out the links in this thread, you will learn something. :slight_smile:

Link: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f149/expensive-hdtv-cable-really-better-than-cheap-one-239888/

:cool::cool:

If the receiver knows Dolby TrueHD (not DTS HD)

1. Playing mkv files from laptop what kind of sound I will have ?
  2. From HD box do I need to use optical sound cable to receiver or HDMI to receiver is enough ? In What format the sound is carried from the HD box to receiver ?

[QUOTE=desesi;2169047]If the receiver knows Dolby TrueHD (not DTS HD)

1. Playing mkv files from laptop what kind of sound I will have ?
  2. From HD box do I need to use optical sound cable to receiver or HDMI to receiver is enough ? In What format the sound is carried from the HD box to receiver ?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know of any AVRs that do DTHD that do not also do DTS-HD.

1. Depends on what format your laptop can send.
  2. Depends on the HD box and what it can do. Most will send DD over HDMI or optical or both.

link laptop

On short: Video - 8600M GT
Audio - Realtek, Acer Managment Audio, Dolby Theater Certified, line-out with SPDIF support, NO digital out