Connecting an external HDD internally

vbimport

i have this 1tb external HDD. Western Digital My Passport 071A.
recently its malfunctioning due to a fall :(. now i can access the data via the USB 2.0 port, but the data transfer rate is extremely low and sometimes i just cant access it. the data inside is not corrupted. i think the problem is with the USB port.
so my question is how do i connect this HDD without the USB port??
i opened the casing and saw that there is a 12 pin connector on it. can it be used to connect it to the motherboard?

Hi Chester, and welcome to the forum

I think you have two options.

1. buy a new case …$10, and try it again with the new USB port

or

1. fit it into your PC tower as a secondary drive. You will need a special cable for this, also available for a few dollars at your computer store.

If you have any further problems come back here…someone will be able to help you for sure.
Good luck!

Hi, [QUOTE=ChesterXXX;2605409]i have this 1tb external HDD. Western Digital My Passport 071A.
recently its malfunctioning due to a fall :(. now i can access the data via the USB 2.0 port, but the data transfer rate is extremely low and sometimes i just cant access it.[/Quote]It is very likely the drive that is failing, not the Sata/USB converter. So backup your stuff as long as you can.

so my question is how do i connect this HDD without the USB port??
i opened the casing and saw that there is a 12 pin connector on it. can it be used to connect it to the motherboard?
Look here, if the connectors look like these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata#Cables.2C_connectors.2C_and_ports
If not, then your HDD has a proprietary connector (perhaps the USB/Sata converter even sits on the HDD’s PCB). In that case you have no chance.

Michael

I’m pretty sure that’s a 2.5" 5400RPM laptop drive in there. Should be SATA.
I second the opinion that the drive itself is probably failing.

It may well be failing, and he did mention dropping it…

but I think the easiest way to check, and [I]maybe[/I] solve the prob is to put it in a new external housing and see if the new USB port does any better.

He can´t really do any harm that way either…and can still attempt to back it up.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2605537]your HDD has a proprietary connector (perhaps the USB/Sata converter even sits on the HDD’s PCB). In that case you have no chance.

Michael[/QUOTE]
yep. the USB/SATA converter is directly sitting on the HDD PCB. i am now backing up data at an incredible 20kbps!!! thats gonna take a while. thanks anyway.

I got a neat little device that would allow me to remove the hard drive of any laptop and make it into an internal hard drive on one of my diagnostic machines.At the time, this device cost me about $20.