Connecting a second SATA DVD drive

[qanda]This thread is about the Plextor PX-860SA. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]It is actually a PX-850SA, but that was not on the select list.

The facts: I just purchased a Plextor PX-850SA DVD burner.

I wanted to add it to my DEL computer which as a SATA hard drive, and a CD writer/DVD ROM, as a second optical drive.

I plugged the other clip on the power cable to the new drive, and added the signal cable to the SATA 4 connection on the mother board. The only SATA connections I could find are SATA 0 which is connected to the hard drive, SATA 1 connected to the original CD/DVD drive, SATA 4, and SATA 5, which are not used.

The computer has Windows Vista Ultimate.

Connected as describe above, I was unable to locate the drive letter for the new drive in Explorer. I finally unplugged the original signal cable from SATA 1, and swapped it with the Plextor signal cable in SATA 4. Now the new Plextor drive works, but the original is not found, so I don’t think the problem is the drive.

My question is: Is there something else I need to do, to make both drives visible?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I finally figured it out myself. Had to go into the BIOS, and enable the SATA port I plugged it into.

I thought that in these days of plug-n-play, that it would have been done automatically.

[QUOTE=tallgoose;2295188]I thought that in these days of plug-n-play, that it would have been done automatically.[/QUOTE]

SATA opens up a variety of configuration options. Glad you got it figured out.

:cool::cool: