Connect laptop to pc

Ok, my dad has got a new laptop, but the drive only wants to work half the time. Id like to connect it so i can transfer a few files, and possibly connect to the net. The os on the laptop is 2000 and on the pc is xp…

now onto the errors :wink:

ok so when it is connected it is detected but says “limited or no connectivity”, even though it reports sending data at 100mbps :confused:

im using a crossover cable… could it be my firewall?

cheers

Ciggy

I know you have to run the network setup wizard for stuff connected via hub or router, but not sure about crossover. I would imagine you have to run the wizard to enable file sharing to be able to transfer the data…

the wizard supports every os apart from windows 2000 :doh:

This message means that no IP address has been assigned I think.

So what’s assigning your IP address? It should be the PC running DHCP & the laptop getting the IP address from the PC.

i’ve gotten the limited/no connectivity message before (although not in this context), and clicking the “repair connection” button always fixed it for me.

not sure if it’s a similar issue or not though.

i believe thats right… but i dont know what dhcp is :o i havnt done any assigning as i wouldnt know where to start.

@reasons… ive tried that… to no avail :sad:

You have to do the same on this setup too. Here some other info as well.

If you are connecting directly between the NIC’s or LAN ports on the computers without a network hub, then yes, you need a crossover cable.
Its been a while since I set one up, but I’m fairly sure I used the XP network setup wizard (start > progs > accessories> communication).

You have need a second NIC for this.
Use the network setup wizard and it should do the work for you but when its finished there needs to be a network bridge (it should do this) in the my network connections folder on the pc connected to the Internet Cable, assuming you want them both on the internet.

Or you can do this through USB. You can also use a router if you want to.

Here’s some links to read on this useing USB links.

http://lpt.usbfireinfo.com/Products/NetLinqCable/netlinqcable.htm

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=25600&criteria=USB%20Cables&doy=24m6

ok… im making progress… the computer has been semi detected (it recognises that it is there but when i try to connect it comes up with\home-adsf is not accessible the network path was not found… any ideas? also on xp this error comes up

its gone again… it says that i have recieved 2 packets, and sent 700+

1. You need to know the computer name for your laptop and pc.
    This is how you could get your computer name: Right click on my ‘My Computer’ – Select ‘Properties’ – Go to ‘Network Identification’ tab. – Note the ‘Full Computer Name’ – The ‘Domain’ field would be showing ‘Workgroup’.

2. Below is what you would complete on your laptop:
    (a) Right click on ‘My Computer’ – Select ‘Map Network Drive’ – In the ‘Drive’ field, scroll down and select Z: – In the folder field, type the following \‘pc_computer_name’\C$ – Make sure that the ‘Reconnect at Logon’ checked box is Checked – Click the ‘Finish’ button. – You might get a prompt to provide an ID and Password. Enter the ID and Password that you would use on the PC to logon. – After successful completion of the above steps, Go to My Computer – You will see a Z: drive, which is reality is the C: drive of your PC

3. Below is what you would complete on your PC:
    (a) Right click on ‘My Computer’ – Select ‘Map Network Drive’ – In the ‘Drive’ field, scroll down and select Z: – In the folder field, type the following \‘laptop_computer_name’\C$ – Make sure that the ‘Reconnect at Logon’ checked box is Checked – Click the ‘Finish’ button. – You might get a prompt to provide an ID and Password. Enter the ID and Password that you would use on the Laptop to logon. – After successful completion of the above steps, Go to My Computer – You will see a Z: drive, which is reality is the C: drive of your Laptop.

In same way you can use other drives of your PC and Laptop. Later on you can share a folder and just use the sharename.

This may be helpful too it’s connecting laptop to PC for dummies.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2817.html

It is probably because the remote sharing is not configured properly. You have to connect to the same network and you need to configure your ip address. Then check your firewall for router and your 2 computers. This should work perfectly fine when its configured properly. Go here for more tips for our spammy website