Connect a Standard dvd player to a computer

I want to connect my standard dvd player to my computer. Both of my computer and the dvd player have a s-video slot. I was wondering after you connected them together where do you go to copy the dvds file to my computer, which then i could burn it to a cdr. I dont have a dvd drive so i was wondering if the metho would whork. Pleas Help:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Does your video card support Video-In? If not you would need to buy some form of image capture card (and link the audio aswell).

The easier (and cheaper) way to transfer the DVDs to your computer would be to rip the DVDs to your computer using a DVD-ROM drive in your computer and a DVD ripper (eg Smartripper, DVDDecrypter etc). I can advise you on these further if you need.

Chris

Originally posted by Chriso
Does your video card support Video-In Chris

My Video card has a s-video slot but it didnt say in or out. PLeas Help!:bow: :bow:

I have connected my standalone DVD player to my computer as well. Video In or Video Out should not matter on your graphics card. I am not sure if you will have the same sort of setup as I do, but this is what works for me.

[1]. You will need to connect the S-Video cable from the Video Out on the DVD player to the S-Video port on your graphics card.

[2]. You’ll need audio too. You might need a Y-Splitter in this case. I got one from Radio Shack. Connect the Audio Out from the DVD player to the Audio In on your PC/Graphics Card.

If you are trying to copy the contents of your DVD to make a backup, like Chriso said, it would be easier to get a DVD drive for your PC and get a ripper. Not only is this easier, but copying the DVD this way is, in my opinion, a hell of a lot less time-consuming.

If you’re planning on copying the DVD by way of a standalone, you’ll have to watch the DVD in realtime. Connecting the standalone to your PC will not show up as an extra drive and allow you to access the DVD files.

@babychar2002

I fear you are mixing up a few things here:

It is impossible to grab digital data from an analogue (!) S-Video interface.
You would have to get access to the DVD Player’s internal bus, which you can forget :slight_smile:
Of course you could capture the analogue signal again to a file, but this wouldn’t make any sense since you can get the original data much easier by using any cheap DVD drive for your computer.

PS: How is this related to Audio, per se?

[QUOTE=EFloUVA;572581]I have connected my standalone DVD player to my computer as well. Video In or Video Out should not matter on your graphics card. I am not sure if you will have the same sort of setup as I do, but this is what works for me.

[B][1][/B]. You will need to connect the S-Video cable from the Video Out on the DVD player to the S-Video port on your graphics card.

[B][2][/B]. You’ll need audio too. You might need a Y-Splitter in this case. I got one from Radio Shack. Connect the Audio Out from the DVD player to the Audio In on your PC/Graphics Card.[/QUOTE]

I’ve connected an s-video cable to the graphics card and then to dvd player and used a y-splitter for audio . . . now, how do I watch, what software (player) is needed? For all the research I’ve done on-line to learn how to make the connection, no one continues on to explain how to play them (unless one is connecting to a capture card)! Boy do I feel stupid . . . please help me keep from exploding! :confused:

Well just one more complication, the thread you dug up is [I]four and a half years old. [/I]To watch any kind of external video source on your PC you do need a capture card, most of which come with the required software.