Confusion what format better to convert dvd9 into DIVXOR DVD5?

hello

well i have a lot of org dvd9 with me , now i wanted to back them all up , i know softwares like dvdfab can do that easily . now my worries come in as i will be backing them up in dvd5 cant afford dvd9 and plus here in india u get only moser baer every were :sad::sad: .

now should i convert the dvd9 into divx files of 4.5 gb or into the normal dvd5 format . i have a divx player so playing wont be a issue all i want to know and understand is if THE GIVEN SOURCE IS SAME a org DVD9 then when compressed to same sizes will DIVX deliver better or VOB format ?:confused:

MB for MB, DIVX will give you much better image quality. But which you choose really depends on your own needs for audio format, menus, CC, etc. Also depends on the film you’re backing up. Many can in fact fit on a DVD5 if you go for the movie-only option.

An interesting alternative could be the H.264 codec. It gives a better quality than DivX/XviD, but it requires a lot of CPU power to do conversions and it is not playable on standalones.

Converting a DVD-9 movie into a 1,5 GB avi file, H.264 will give a better quality than Xvid.

With this free tool, very similar to AutoGK, it is possible to easily convert DVD into mkv files.

Mkv files can store a dual audio track and also embedded multiple subtitles, but again it is not playable on standalones (for what I know).

thank you guys , i think h264 LOOKS much better a option. i know there are many movies i can backup with the movie only option but things like godfather , memento deserve better. i have lot of CPU power n ram to convert . i jus need the best possible formats to store it into

okay i tried some softwares that i found on the net , but they all have issues , they either give me very bad quality .or fail mid way … some converted but the audio n video were out of sync , video not good.

guys on on vista 64bit . any help , link guide to what software and how do i go abt it will be appreciated.

If you want to use H264, look at a program called MeGui.

Go to the doom9.org forums for advice and guides to using it.

Yeah MeGui would be my first choice for h264…But why not just keep as DVD ,use DVDRB (free) for DVD9 to DVD-5 backup…slow but very good in terms of quality,if burning to DVD-5 disc is what you want,else try MeGui for mp4 h264, I use it to convert DVD to mp4 and burn to cd disc…
BTW my Set top players don’t play .mp4/h264 , but my Xbox360 plays them great…

Another alternative is is simply use DVD ReBuilder to convert the DVD9 to a DVD5. There is a free version of RB and the use of free HCenc gives excellent results. The end result will play on both PC or standalone.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;1957352]Yeah MeGui would be my first choice for h264…But why not just keep as DVD ,use DVDRB (free) for DVD9 to DVD-5 backup…slow but very good in terms of quality,if burning to DVD-5 disc is what you want,else try MeGui for mp4 h264, I use it to convert DVD to mp4 and burn to cd disc…
BTW my Set top players don’t play .mp4/h264 , but my Xbox360 plays them great…[/QUOTE]

Why not use DVDfab and make a setting for h264 in “generic” or PS3 - that’s the same setting/output, right??

Stay bamboocha wrote" Why not use DVDfab and make a setting for h264 in “generic” or PS3 - that’s the same setting/output, right??

Yes, if the OP wants to use it ,go for it…Different strokes for different folks…whatever gets it done,it’s all good…