Confused operator or operating system?

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Memorex 16x DVD+/-DLRWL1 F16 Internal. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello, pardon my wall of text below. Your help and attention is greatly appeciated.

I have 2 dvd drives on my computer one is a Samsung dvd player, no problems with this one it is drive (E), I also have a Memorex  MRX-500N dvd burner installed in my pc.   My computer is not recognizing it as a dvd drive at all.   It is listed as (D) and shows as a cd-r drive.  It will read and write cd's, but will not so much as even read a dvd.   I have installed all of the drivers from the disk and have ran DVD INFO PRO.   DVD INFO PRO recognizes that it is a dvd burner and has shown no read errors as far as cd's go.  On a side note I think is important; my computer is showing another drive (F) as a dvd drive however I have no F: drive and do not have a 3rd dvd player. The information given by my pc for this 'phantom drive' of mine is "IVI Virtual CD SCSI CdRom Device".    Even more confusing because this lists  as a cd drive, but shows a dvd drive in the view below the "My Computer" tab.   If I put a dvd into drive (D) it is not recognizing any media at all.   I really don't know where to start.   I thought this would be a good place to state my problem with system information and hope for some helpful advice.   I have done several forum searches and have not been able to find another problem quite like mine.  Thankyou for reading,  Sincerely just a lowly professional painter.  :bow:

below is my system info-

HERE’S MY SYSTEM INFO:

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name YOUR-R3IVASE5IX
User Name The Higg

Motherboard:
  CPU Type                                          AMD 64 X2 4000+
  Motherboard Name                                  ASUS M2V-MX SE
  Motherboard Chipset                               VIA K8M890/VT8237S
  System Memory                                     2048 MB
  BIOS Type                                         AMI (08/10/07)
  Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
  Communication Port                                Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
  Video Adapter                                     NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT  (512 MB)
  Monitor                                           SyncMaster 2032NW [NoDB]  (HVGQ111225)

Multimedia:
  Audio Adapter                                     VIA VT8237A/8251 High Definition Audio Controller

Storage:
  IDE Controller                                    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
  IDE Controller                                    VIA Bus Master IDE Controller - 0571
  SCSI/RAID Controller                              IVI VIRTUALDRV SCSI Controller
  SCSI/RAID Controller                              IVI VIRTUALDRV SCSI Controller
  Floppy Drive                                      Floppy disk drive
  Disk Drive                                        WDC WD600BB-53CAA1  (55 GB, IDE)
  Disk Drive                                        WD 5000AAC External USB Device  (465 GB, USB)
  Optical Drive                                     IVI Virtual CD SCSI CdRom Device
  Optical Drive                                     Memorex 16X-DDL-IN
  Optical Drive                                     SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616F  (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
  SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
  C: (NTFS)                                         57238 MB (30122 MB free)
  G: (FAT32)                                        476821 MB (431185 MB free)
  Total Size                                        521.5 GB (450.5 GB free)

Input:
  Keyboard                                          HID Keyboard Device
  Mouse                                             Logitech HID-compliant G5 Laser Mouse

Network:
  Network Adapter                                   VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter  (24.216.224.205)
  Modem                                             Standard Modem

Peripherals:
  Printer                                           HP DeskJet 710C
  Printer                                           hp deskjet 920c
  Printer                                           HP Officejet 6200 series
  Printer                                           Lexmark Z54
  USB1 Controller                                   VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
  USB1 Controller                                   VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
  USB2 Controller                                   VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

After a bit of Googling I found this thread about the SCSI virtual drive in your computer: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1125509
Perhaps this will help.

Okay, well thankyou! You have solved my problem of the virtual drive. I followed the steps mentioned on the website you linked and low and behold, the pc recognized my burner for what it was and I was even able to write to the dvd, however; I did get an error right at the end of it as follows:

Sense: 03 ASC: 72 ASCQ: 00 (Command 00)

Px.dll: 4.4.49.501
PxAFS.DLL: 4.4.49.501
pxdrv.dll: 1.2.31.0
PxMas.dll: 4.4.49.501
PxSFS.DLL: 4.4.49.501
PxWave.dll: 4.4.49.501
pxwma.dll: 1.0.0.3

Now the files I wrote to the dvd are there and accessible, it just looks like the Roxio program I used to do the writing cqame up with the error. It suggested that the dvd I used was dirty, and I can assure you it was a clean brand new Memorex dvd-r 16x. If that is my greatest problem then I’m fine, but I thought it was mentionable. By the way I was using Easy Media Creator 10 to do the burn. :bow:

Wish I could help on that, but I’m not a Roxio user and am not even familiar with their error messages.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some help.

Glad you got it partially fixed.