Confused newbie female

vbimport

Hi all Guys (& other Gals?),
I found this site a couple days ago and have been reading like crazy, but am more confused than ever! :confused:

I am in the U.S.A on the east coast near Washington, D.C.

I have a Pioneer DVR-S806 (DVR-108, FW 1.18?) USB External DVD/CD writer that my sister just gave me. I have just purchased (from Circuit City store) a pack of 50 TDK 8X DVD-R discs that say “Made in Taiwan” on the label.
I wud like to know if these are “really” TDK discs and if they are any good to use? I called Pioneer and they recommended I use: 1st choice=Maxell, Verbatim, TDK; 2nd choice=Sony, Fuju; 3rd & last choice=anything BUT Memorex. The support guy (he was kind of snobish though), said Memorex is okay for CDs but NOT for DVDs!
Any comments on these recommendations from Pioneer glady recvd!

I will only be using this DVR writer and discs to do system & data backup of my PC, no movies or anything else at this time. (I had been using CDs, but got tired of using Sooo many discs for this purpose).

These TDK discs feel kind of flimsy compared to a Sony and Verbatim DVD disc that I borrowed from my neighbor, just to run thru that DVD Identifier Pgm.
The DVD Identifier Pgm says the TDK DVD code is TTG02, what does that ‘really’ mean to me? Is there somewhere to look up these codes to tell what that are??
The neighbors Verbatim disc had a code of MKM001, his Sony said Sony16D1. Meaning?

I found the post, “The Taiyo Yuden FAQ” after 4 days of reading stuff on this site!

It had in the post:
TDK (US)
8x -R = MIJ + That’s Cakebox
8x +R = MIJ + Standard Cakebox

I figured out that MIJ means Made in Japan but,
Could you please tell me what is “That’s Cakebox” versus “Standard Cakebox”?

And to clarify that a “cakebox” is same thing as a “spindle”?

I realize these are a good bit of questions, but as I said, I am a Newbie in dire need of help.

I appreciate your comments, recommendations, and answers to all my questions!

Sincerely,
CP :kiss:

TDK 8X DVD–R

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TTG02]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [TDK Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [TTG02]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V4.3.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

** INFO : Drive = PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 - [FW 1.18] - [USB]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-RW
** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:TTG02]
** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 16620 kBps (12.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
Descriptor #1 = 16620 kBps (12.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : Hex Dump Of ‘Media Code’-Block Listed Below
** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding ‘Media Code’-Block Discarded
** INFO : Format 0Eh - Pre-Recorded Information In Lead-In
0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 52 00 02 85 0d 0c 87 89 90 00 .@…R…
0010 : 03 54 54 47 30 32 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .TTG02…
0020 : 05 ba a3 22 32 20 02 00 06 09 0a 15 98 89 90 00 …"2 …
0030 : 07 88 80 00 00 00 00 00 08 05 15 0c 0e 09 04 00 …
0040 : 09 96 05 0b 0b 78 88 00 0a 80 00 00 00 00 10 00 …x…
0050 : 0b 09 18 14 97 88 85 00 0c b8 9a b8 83 00 30 00 …0.
0060 : 0d 00 00 d0 00 00 00 00 00 00 …

** INFO : Hex Dump Of ‘Control Data Zone’-Block Listed Below
** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding ‘CDZ’-Block Discarded
** INFO : Format 10h - Physical Format Information Of Control Data Zone
0000 : 25 0f 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 12 7f 00 00 00 00 %…&…

Yes a cake box and a spindle are the same thing.
You do not have TY discs.
“That’s” is a brand name of TY and the boxes look different to the normal ones. http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=843 shows what a TY type spindle looks like. Notice no little rim that you see on other types of spindles.

Here discs are rated TY, Verbatim and then the rest, as the first two should fulfill all your needs.

The code you have, TTG02, is used by the firmware to determin the write stratagey for the disc.

(I’m getting as bad as arachne with the edit button)

Welcome! :slight_smile:

To add to what Jay said…if you’ve already bought the TDKs, then it’s fine to use them, they should be OK (although preferred choices are as mentioned).

As long as you don’t end up with Ritek. :wink:

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome to the forum cutie_pyie. :clap:
Take a look here. This tells you a about your media. How good compatability etc.

Hi cutie_pyie, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

In general, I would say those are reasonable recommendations, although I would add “Taiyo Yuden” as a 1st choice.

Memorex uses all kinds of different subcontractors for their DVD media, so it’s almost impossible to know what you’re gonna get if you buy Memorex. None of this DVD media is what we consider high quality, although I guess you might get lucky - but don’t count on it.

CD media is more mature than DVD media, so even if you get low grade CD media it will probably work OK in most drives.

There’s a forum dedicated to Pioneer DVD burners, and there’s a chance you can get some more specific recommendations from other Pioneer users with the same or similar drive:

Asus DVD Burner / Pioneer DVD Burner

Cakeboxes and spindles are used interchangeably, although some spindles are not inside cakeboxes.

A That’s cakebox is the cakebox type used by Taiyo Yuden, and for experienced users these cakeboxes are easy to recognize, and tell us that there is good stuff inside. :wink:

Here’s a good picture of a That’s cakebox:

Yup, the 806 is an external version of the DVR-108 series.

Media support: http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00003r_e.html#r01
Media table: http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/mediachart.html#mt02

The Pioneer support gave good advice about preferred media here, I think.

That’s not too far off from the consensus around here, which is that Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are the best. I’ve personally found Memorex to be a very bad brand, even for CDs.

Yo-

A couple of years ago - I got a 30 cakebox of Memorex music CD-R’s - they turned out to be Ritek 97m’s which are very good CD’s-eh!

So sometimes you get lucky…

Mike

Ritek CD-Rs are okay, but in the old days when they were made with cyanine they had a bad reputation… :confused:
Actually I only remember TY making 30 cakeboxes.

TTG02 (TDK code) on branded TDK medi ought to be ok - TTG02 on media that is not actually TDK, is about as trustworthy as TYG02 on any media that is not actually a known Taiyo Yuden affiliate.

Spindle, Cake box, Tub - all terms used a round container of 10 (or less), 25, 30, 50, 100 media in a stack - provides reasonable physical protection for stored media.

Shrinkwrap - another way of supplying bulk media, generally best to have a spare spindle or cases to decant them into, as an opened shinkwrap package has no strength or stability - even unopened, the pacakage can burst and scatter .

Jewel cased (JC): Single, boxed 5’s or 10’s (or 20’s slimline) - generally thought to be an expensive way to buy media, but can often compare ok if you actually want cases with them - depends on the deal.

I didn’t know that an official list of Taiyo Yuden affiliates exists. I would be glad if you could show me the list.
TTG02 from a qualified factory (MBI, CMC) which can be told from the hub codes could be B-grade, but most likely genuine.

kg he didn’t say official, but [B]known[/B] it is different. Panasonic -Rs are [I]known[/I] to be TYs as long as they have MIJ on them.

Yo-

Double checked - it is infact a 50 cakebox-

Mike