Confused about which to buy

vbimport

Hi
My Benq 1620 died :sad: and I need to replace it. I am looking at the Pioneer 215D or a Samsung 20xx model. My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3.

I want the following 3 features with minimum confusion for flashing:

1. remove riplock;
  2. region free and
  3. most importantly be able to burn DVD-RW as DVD-ROM (as well as single layer +R/-R as DVD-ROM).

I usually use Nero 7. Thanks

I guess c0deKing’s patcher is the way to go with the 203B.

Hi,[quote=iaminhicksville;2052630]Hi
I am looking at the Pioneer 215D or a Samsung 20xx model. My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3.

(…)
3) most importantly be able to burn DVD-RW as DVD-ROM (as well as single layer +R/-R as DVD-ROM). [/quote]You can’t burn “minus” media as DVD-ROM.

[quote=iaminhicksville;2052664]I guess c0deKing’s patcher is the way to go with the 203B.[/quote]Since this drive is phasing out, you might get the 203D (which is a different drive) instead, although the vendor advertises the unit as 203B.

Michael

Hi :slight_smile:
You can go with Pioneer & use ala42’s MCSE for speedread,rpc1 & bitsetting patching.
You don’t have to do any patching with the 203B, the later versions are another matter though.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2052921]Hi,You can’t burn “minus” media as DVD-ROM.[/QUOTE]off topic:

I have but Liggy never really had any comments about it as i used Binflash and my NEC 3500. My post is in the Binflash thread.

[QUOTE=zebadee;2052922]Hi :slight_smile:
You can go with Pioneer & use ala42’s MCSE for speedread,rpc1 & bitsetting patching.
You don’t have to do any patching with the 203B, the later versions are another matter though.[/QUOTE]

I thought I read that info about the MCSE patch as still not allowing DVDRW to burn as DVD-ROM, which is definately on my list of things the drive must do.

Anyway, I ordered the 203B from Newegg yesterday. It should be here Monday. If I get a 203D in the box, I’ll post.

[QUOTE=iaminhicksville;2053400]I thought I read that info about the MCSE patch as still not allowing DVDRW to burn as DVD-ROM, which is definately on my list of things the drive must do.

Anyway, I ordered the 203B from Newegg yesterday. It should be here Monday. If I get a 203D in the box, I’ll post.[/QUOTE]

Device manager shows it as a 203B