Confused about Plextor 24x and bypass EFM

I have a Plextor 24x CD burner!
I succesfully copied SIMCITY 4 with and without “BYPASS EFM OPTION”!!! Both copies start on every reader i tried!!!
I did also a SHEEP TEST and my burner can read well SAFEDISK 2.51 EFM patterns!
I thought my burner was a one sheep burner! :confused:

Are you using any special firmware?

Individual writers vary and a number of individual plextors can successfully copy sd 2.51+ without bypass efm error.

Of course, most writers of the same model and with the same firmware will require it and the occasional one won’t do it even with bypasss efm error.

In short, you’re lucky but you’re by no means unique.

Also many Plextors can backup all versions of Safedisc which can only be read in the Plextor itself. When you play the backup in a picky reader it may well fail to run.

I’m using firmware 1.04!
If the copy starts on a TOSHIBA DVD ROM; is it a perfect copy???

Most likely yes.

However, it appears to be media dependant. Especially really crappy discs with low contrast after burning seem to improve weak sector reading.

When using a Digital Storage Technology CD-RW, I can read many more sectors from the 3-sheep test file than from a Verbatim CD-RW (LiteOn 52x).

But why, if my Plex 24x model is a 2 sheep burner; it made a perfect copy even with bypass EFM option enabled??? It should have been a coaster! :confused:

Originally posted by Venturer
But why, if my Plex 24x model is a 2 sheep burner; it made a perfect copy even with bypass EFM option enabled??? It should have been a coaster! :confused:
Not at all. A working backup is still possible with Bypass EFM Errors enabled if you have a 2 sheep burner. My Lite-Ons still backup Safedisc 2+ with AWS in Clone CD enabled and with Bypass EFM Error enabled in Alcohol. However its recommended that you disable it because in some cases a coaster is produced.
BTW, Who said your Plextor is a 2 sheep burner? :confused: Does you backup work in a Toshiba DVD Rom?

Originally posted by Venturer

Yes, in some cases it might produce a coaster, but sometimes not.
Anyway, your copy isn’t 1:1, it may not work on some drives
try to make a backup using the safedisc profile, if your drive is a 2 sheep one

Originally posted by luciano

Yes, in some cases it might produce a coaster, but sometimes not.
Anyway, your copy isn’t 1:1!

Ciao Luciano! :slight_smile:
It starts from a TOSHIBA DVD ROM; so it should be a 1:1 copy even with “bypass EFM” enabled!

:confused:

what so special about plextor able to make a working back-up of a SD cd with EFM enabled?
EFM option works for almost every plextor.

do it without EFM and with a SD >2.8 protected cd.
if it still works with al drives then you are on the right way. (no emulation used or running in background offcourse)

and technically speaking no back-up is 1:1 (no matter what the protection is)
we’re only able to produce working back-ups but not 1:1 back-ups.

Originally posted by Maelstrom
no emulation used or running in background offcourse

What software do emulation for SD 2.8?? Clone CD tray??? And what about ALCOHOL or BLINDWRITE???
How can i delete background emulation??

Alcohol 120% supports SafeDisc and SafeDisc 2 emulation. You can find it in Alcohol’s settings (extra emulation)