Conflicting opinions, need your advice

So… today I was at staples, and got in on a really good deal and picked up a Pacific Digital 48x12x48 burner… And after talking to some people, I’ve ahd some tell me it is definately a lite on drive and I can flash it up to 52X(definately 48x24x48) and others saying I cant.

I’m not sure what I can do and wanted to get some more experienced opinions before I try anything.

On the label of the drive, it said the model is CDR5W48 When I go to the pacific digital site for updates, it has it listed as a LTR-48125W which would be lite-on. And when I use Nero to view the firmware, it says it is firmware VSG3.

I’ve read various things here, and other places with people having/not having success with the 48125W and I want to know what I can/cant/might be able to do before I do anything that would mess it up.

any help would be great.

Thanks:)

A LTR-48125W cannot be overclocked to 52x (yet).

Originally posted by dhc014
A LTR-48125W cannot be overclocked to 52x (yet).

ok… but apparently that means that they will be releasing a different firmware that will let it be overclocked to 52x?

Originally posted by Mike1187

ok… but apparently that means that they will be releasing a different firmware that will let it be overclocked to 52x?

No, they ( LiteOn ) will not. I mean there will be no so called 52x FW for the 5 chipset’ series released.
It’s pretty clear that for that matter there are the 6 chipset’ drives available.
Though the dhc014’s significant ‘yet’ perhaps literally means :‘until some1 hacks it’ ? :smiley:

Originally posted by Mike1187
[B]So… today I was at staples, and got in on a really good deal and picked up a Pacific Digital 48x12x48 burner… And after talking to some people, I’ve ahd some tell me it is definately a lite on drive and I can flash it up to 52X(definately 48x24x48) and others saying I cant.

I’m not sure what I can do and wanted to get some more experienced opinions before I try anything.

On the label of the drive, it said the model is CDR5W48 When I go to the pacific digital site for updates, it has it listed as a LTR-48125W which would be lite-on. And when I use Nero to view the firmware, it says it is firmware VSG3.

I’ve read various things here, and other places with people having/not having success with the 48125W and I want to know what I can/cant/might be able to do before I do anything that would mess it up.

any help would be great.

Thanks:) [/B]

Is your particular model the 48125W or the 48126W/S ???

I have the 48126S which flashed fine to the 48246S, but haven’t tested it for re-writing speed due to lack of Ultra speed CDRW in OZ, but it still works and burns fine, so I can’t see any problems with it (yet).

I can’t see the point in flashing it to 52x to save an extra 10 seconds. What a stoopid thing to do, unless the re-write speed goes up to 36x, at least a significant speed increase anyway.

Originally posted by debro
[B]

Is your particular model the 48125W or the 48126W/S ???

I have the 48126S which flashed fine to the 48246S, but haven’t tested it for re-writing speed due to lack of Ultra speed CDRW in OZ, but it still works and burns fine, so I can’t see any problems with it (yet).

I can’t see the point in flashing it to 52x to save an extra 10 seconds. What a stoopid thing to do, unless the re-write speed goes up to 36x, at least a significant speed increase anyway. [/B]

On the pacific digital site it said it is a 48125W at least that was the only option to select support for their 48x12x48 burner. However, the model # on the label of the drive is CDR-5W48 and that is what the computer recognises it as aswell.

And the main reason I wanted to upgrade it was for the re-write speed increase… hehe and just to say that I could have a 52x burner for fun:p Its not really a big deal… but if I could get a little mroe performance out of somethign I have, I want to try to get it.

heh I already bought a 48x12x48 Cendyne after being told that one was definately upgradeable when it was on sale a couple weeks ago, only when I opened the box, that drive wasnt even in there. there was a 48x16x48 drive instead, which was definately not a lite-on drive, and I couldnt do anythign to upgrade that one.

Mike1187
flash the drive to the VS08 firmware, then your system and Nero will show it as the 48125W (if that’s what it is) Be sure to save the current firmware first, so you can go back if it doesn’t work. As I recall, the P.D. drives take the standard LiteOn Windows flasher utility, so you can download that from LiteOn and run it in Windows. (I think)

@Boskin:

Maybe they release a “52246S, based on 5-chipset”, in Poland again, as they did with 40125S :slight_smile:

I don’t think this drive is a Lite-on LTR-48125W.

It’s a new OEM (generic) style release and probably isn’t listed yet on Pacific Digital’s firmware page.

According to this Taiwan site, the CDR-5W48 is a Lite-on 48x24x48 drive. This would make it a LTR-48246S.

If your drive is currently a 48x12x48, it may be the Lite-on LTR-48126S, which has the “6” chipset and is flashable to a LTR-48246S and LTR-52246S (52x24x52). See the threads on this forum for the conversion. :wink:

Originally posted by Inertia
[B]I don’t think this drive is a Lite-on LTR-48125W.

It’s a new OEM (generic) style release and probably isn’t listed yet on Pacific Digital’s firmware page.

According to this Taiwan site, the CDR-5W48 is a Lite-on 48x24x48 drive. This would make it a LTR-48246S.

If your drive is currently a 48x12x48, it may be the Lite-on LTR-48126S, which has the “6” chipset and is flashable to a LTR-48246S and LTR-52246S (52x24x52). See the threads on this forum for the conversion. :wink: [/B]

Thats bassically what some people have told me while otehrs had told me different… That drive is on the computer down at my camp and I dont think I’ll be back there again until friday night. so I’ve got all week to figure out what I will do and make sure I’ve got the right files to fix anything that I screw up:p And I plan on at least trying to see waht I can do with it.

And I dont know if its a different OEM or not… just from looking at the drive, it appears to be exactly like the lite-on drives I’ve seen. right down to the blue jumper in the back instead of the usual black ones I’ve seen on other drives.

Is there a mfg date on the drive?
If all esle fails, just flash it with the 48125W firmware, and if it takes, that’s what it is. If it doesn’t take, go with the 52246S firmware.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Is there a mfg date on the drive?
If all esle fails, just flash it with the 48125W firmware, and if it takes, that’s what it is. If it doesn’t take, go with the 52246S firmware.

Yea, there is… But I cant seem to remember what it is at the moment and cant just look at the drive right now. Ummm if memory is good, I believe its august or september of 2002

Then it may well be a 48126S, or not. :confused:

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Then it may well be a 48126S, or not. :confused:

I guess I’ll find out later this week… now… just gotta get all the files I need and I should be set for it.:slight_smile:

Ok. just got the drive back home today so I’ll probably try flashing it later tonight. The manufacture date on the drive is Aug 2002. does anyone have an idea if it might be a 48126S frim that manufacture date?

News of the impending release of the LTR-48126S was announced as early as April 5 by CD Freaks News.

With a late manufacturing date of August 2002 and based on the evidence available for the CDR-5W48 model, it is likely to be a 48126 series burner.

There are also 48125W drives around with August mfg dates on them.

Thank you, Mr. “Last Word” rdgrimes. :cool:

you’re welcome
But i think you were the one trying to get the last word.:rolleyes: