Concerns Over Xbox 360 DVD-9 Media Capacity

vbimport

I just posted the article Concerns Over Xbox 360 DVD-9 Media Capacity.

It seems that the developers of the Xbox 360's games  may hit a brickwall when it come to the final size of the games. We  have been told by Microsoft that the Xbox 360 will...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10625-Concerns-Over-Xbox-360-DVD-9-Media-Capacity.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10625-Concerns-Over-Xbox-360-DVD-9-Media-Capacity.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Well I hope the rumors of it getting an HD-DVD drive will be true, but my hopes are not high :c

Microsoft have said they MAY use next gen drives in the later versions, but not from first release. \VH//// :slight_smile:

OK I hate when people do this but here goes…Tom needs to do research or just remember simple facts Blu-Ray will store 50GB DL not 23 it theory.

God does nobody read articles before posting this rubbish. Microsoft already said that they would use compression techniques so that games would easily fit on a standard dvd-9. PS3 won’t use that, so good luck with there expensive blu-ray drive which will likely scratch discs and break down easily (much like the v5 PS2’s did). Its important to keep costs down. It may be cool having the lastest technologies in consoles but you have to remember a couple of things. The PS3 is expected to have a life cycle of 10 years, double the usual life of a console, the 360 will have a life cycle of half that. Also next generation media was not designed for games consoles, the only reason its here (and here so soon i might add) is because the greedy movie industry want to squeeze every last penny from your pocket. They want you to buy your movie collection again (not to mention they want to beef up security), so this media was not designed for consoles, games do not need 50GB.

“…games do not need 50GB.” Originally they did not need 8-9GB But hey time marches.Also that won’t stop people from poppin’ in HD Movies (some 50GB size)

On the current xbox Team Ninja are the worst HDD gobblers out there, using inefficient compression that needs massive amounts of HDD space for small amounts of video. One only has to look at the DOA games file structure for that. DOA 3 for example. The game dropa from 4.2GB to 400MB when you rip the movies. There are only 8 or 9 of them, and only half hour total :wink: at most. a decemt mpeg2 compression could be 1/4 of that :g

Agree with that - only the game developers that rely on “pre-rendered video sequences” to make their weak games look good are going to worry about capacity. Standard DVD is fine for data!

It’s true that there is no need for the massive space at the moment, but Microsoft was hoping to crack the Japanes market with this console and they love their pre-rendered sequences. On top of that you have got the whole high-def TV thing. On the whole its going to be a very interesting next couple of years for consoles and gaming, and I have to say that the competition is very welcome.

I have no plan on ever buying a console. However I do belive that the more advanced they are getting the more similer to a PC they are also. For this reason I think (once copy protection of the games is dealt with) it would be easier to build a working emulator for the PC.

If the developers had any sense they just wouldn’t use pre-rendered video, instead just use the in game engine, that way there would never be concerns about space. Its getting to the stage that pre-rendered footage is no longer needed, it looks good enough already. Standard dvd technology is proven to work; its fast, cheap and reliable none of which you can say about blu-ray or hd-dvd. If microsoft go with hd-dvd then they get dragged into a format war in which there is a good chance that hd-dvd will lose. Microsoft listened to games developers and gave them what they wanted in a console, sony yet again went it alone and made a console they wanted. This time sony won’t be as cocky because there market share will fall, not very good for a company that makes most of its money from the playstation brand. Regarding emulation, it won’t be easier as the 360 has a triple PowerPC core, which can be compared to a MAC. You would need an extremely powerful PC to even think about doing it and even then you would find it almost impossible. And the PS3 uses a completely different design, so yet again probably impossible.

With the quality the nexgen game engines should provide, I wouldnt care if there wasnt any pre-rendered sequences. DVD-9 should be enough for quite some time. At a push you can split a game across 2 dvds. And in the future see what options present themselves.

@jef195 I have edited the article, my facts on Blu Ray were alittle out of date. \VH//// :slight_smile:

>>>> I have edited the article, my facts on Blu Ray were alittle out of date

OK right, here is a list of what media (from the PS3 final specs) will support: DISC MEDIA: CD PlayStation CD-ROM PlayStation2 CD-ROM CD-DA CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD DualDisc (audio side) DualDisc (DVD side) PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM DVD-ROM DVD-R DVD-RW DVD+R, DVD+RW Blu-ray Disc PlayStation 3 BD-ROM BD-ROM BD \VH//// :slight_smile:

Exactly - no mention of dual layer BluRay discs…

When you write “It can read DVD-ROM” you don’t need to mention " and DVD ROM DL" because it is already written in the technology. Same with Blu-ray, being able to read BD-ROM IS being able to read BD-ROM SL and future DL.

I am sure since they mention blu ray atleast 2 times in there and also cause of the fact sony is a major backer of blu ray that dual layer is going to be a supported medium. I doubt they would limit there system so people wont buy dual layer bluray disc’s which they are fully supporting.

>>>>When you write “It can read DVD-ROM” you don’t need to mention " and DVD ROM DL" because it is already written in the technology. > Same with Blu-ray, being able to read BD-ROM IS being able to read BD-ROM SL and future DL.

>>>> I am sure since they mention blu ray atleast 2 times in there and also cause of the fact sony is a major backer of blu ray that dual layer is going to be a supported medium