Concerned about my LiteOns

Hello all!

I am a member of this forum for a very long time now, but I doubt I have ever posted here - most of the time I read and learn, and now I am very… unsatisfied.

I’ve bought Liteon SHW-16H5S writer to replace my aged NEC ND-2510 which served me for two years, and I kinda expect this drive to serve me that long. But…
When I bought it, and replaced the drives, I couldn’t get LightScribe. A bit of browsing revealed me LS host service needs to be installed. OK, I’ve installed it, but still no LS. As I have Nero OEM, I thought it is the problem with it’s OEM serial, so for testing purposes I asked a friend for his legit full Nero 6 (he doesn’t use it, he’s on Linux), and still no Lightscribe. I was going raving mad, and finaly found on Nero site that I need to enable in security options access to optical drives, which then worked, but alas, I will have to buy full version of Nero, as OEM doesn’t work with LightScribe :slight_smile:

(if you know freeware cover designer/“printer” with LS support, let me know).

In the process of searching for solution, I updated firmware to the latest, LS0W. I have the other Liteon reader, LTD163 (GDHJ), which served me quite nice. Now, it has trouble reading burns of DVDRW. When I do the scan with DVDRW, they are quite good, 10/4 mostly, and I am satisfied with the results, but DVD has a lot of trouble reading them. What to do? Are there any trouble regarding this firmware? I’ve searched the forum, but couldn’t found any info on it.

Any info appreciated.

Ivan.

SureThing 4 SE is freely available here.

Thank you, DrageMester. I was on that site, but never looked for other software except for that LS host service :o)