Computer won't read DVDs it seems

vbimport

I’ve never encountered this problem before, albeit, I am a newbie to burning and copying DVDs.

For some reason, when I put a DVD that has data (in this case, the discs of Season 2 of Stargate Atlantis), the computer fails to read them. When I venture into My Computer, it’s as if the drive is empty.

When I load up DVD Decrypted, it says Medium Not Present.

However, the DVD is NOT damaged. When I put the DVD into a DVD player, it played just fine.

Then I put a blank DVD into the same drive and successfully burned a copy of another DVD.

So, what do I do? I’m completely stumped and would appreciate any help on this!

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=JSMaTT;2141739]I’ve never encountered this problem before, albeit, I am a newbie to burning and copying DVDs.

For some reason, when I put a DVD that has data (in this case, the discs of Season 2 of Stargate Atlantis), the computer fails to read them. When I venture into My Computer, it’s as if the drive is empty.

However, the DVD is NOT damaged. When I put the DVD into a DVD player, it played just fine.

Then I put a blank DVD into the same drive and successfully burned a copy of another DVD.

Thanks in advance :)[/QUOTE]

How do you mean data dvd? Is that a movie dvd or not???

It was a movie DVD that would not read, correct.

[quote=JSMaTT;2141739]I’ve never encountered this problem before, albeit, I am a newbie to burning and copying DVDs.

However, [B]the DVD is NOT damaged[/B]. When I put the DVD into a DVD player, it played just fine.

Thanks in advance :)[/quote]
Just because you can’t see any damage with your eyes doesn’t mean there is no defects on the disc, there can be damaged or bad sectors on it that will cause this type of issues with computers.
Standalone DVD Players overlook those sectors and that is why it will still play on the DVD player, but a computer’s drive is much more picky when it comes to readability of those sectors.

I think you should try updating your drive or if that doesn’t work reboot your computer completely (save or your stuff you wish to keep on an external storage disk or USB) Also another thing is if neither of the following work, which i doubt by the sounds of things! then it’s simply because your drive is “dead” in a matter of words.

when resetting your system 9 times out of 10 you press ALT + F10 at the same time when the setup screen appears! you should have a fair idea of what to do. If not i recommend you look for guides for your computer.