Computer won't boot

vbimport

Have an error message NTDETECT failure. I have a Dell Optiplex GX240, I shut it down to move and when I tried to start it it wouldn’t start. At first I didn’t even show that I had any cd-roms, finally solved that problem and put in my windows xp disc and ended up with a blue screen. when computer went into restart I came up with NTDETECT failure. Can anybody help. Thanks in advance.

Can you get into BIOS? If so, look and see what drives are detected.

Maybe just a boot order problem. :wink:

I had the same failure a while ago and this Microsoft page helped me to solve the problem.

It sounds like you are trying to re-install XP.

The NTDETECT error might indicate a hard drive problem.

I always start with the basics. First I run a DOS memory diagnostic. You can search for “memtest86” or “microsoft memory diagnostic”.

Then I run a DOS hard drive diagnostic. Every hard drive manufacturer has one, and you don’t necessarily have to use the one from the manufacturer of your hard drive.

There are more ways to help find the problem. Trying to run a “live” Linux or the “Ultimate Boot CD for Windows” can be informative.

I am waiting for a windows xp repair disc and a windows xp repair cd, hope they will help. Hoping they will be in todays mail.

NTDETECT errors are almost always due to no hard drive being detected. The install CD should show you whether there’s a HD detected or not, but going into BIOS is the sure way. Having moved the PC, there’s a good chance you simply knocked loose the IDE or power cables to the hard drive or motherboard.

Are you sure about that? I think the BIOS would give a different message if there was no disk.

Before NTDETECT is used the BIOS loads the MBR from the disk and runs it. The MBR loads and runs ntldr. ntldr then loads and runs NTDETECT.

The NTDETECT failure would happen if it couldn’t find a valid Windows installation.

I just tried my windows xp disc and tried to run in ntsf and got an error c drive corrupt and cannot be repaired.

If your hard drives and your optical drives are acting strange, you may have a bad power supply. I think these drives are the only users of 12 volts, and if the 12 volt supply isn’t good, these drives won’t work right.

Is it necessary to use a Dell power supply? Since I have a Dell computer. I’m sure if I ask Dell, they will tell me yes. I am using a Seagate ide 120g hard drive and not the factory one, and have not had any problems till now.

You need to STOP, go into BIOS, and post back what is being reported relative to all drives. If the hard drive is being reported correctly, then get Seagate’s diagnostics program and run that on the drive, using the fullest testing process.

The only thing that changed here, unless you’re not telling us something, is that you moved the PC…right? No reason at this point to be chasing after power supplies or Windows installs. You have to rule out hardware issues.

In Bios it says that I have a hard drive and two cd roms. In my move my seagate installation disc came up missing.

I found my Seagate tools flopppies and and running full diagnostic.

I ran Seagate diagnostics and everything passed, then I ran Seagate disc and when it rebooted it came up with NTLDR is missing. Now it says <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of above file. File is missing or corrupt.

I ran Seagate diagnostics again and NTFS failed.

You have to repair/replace the file using your Windows disc and the Repair counsole. See here.:slight_smile:
Windows XP users

[ol]
[li]Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.[/li][li]When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.[/li][li]Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the “R” key to repair Windows.[/li][li]Log into your Windows installation by pressing the “1” key and pressing enter.[/li][li]You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.[/li][li]Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter “E”. This letter may be different on your computer.[/li]
copy e:\i386
tldr c:
copy e:\i386
tdetect.com c:
[li]Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.[/li][/ol]

Thanks everyone, I am up and running again. The only problam is to get everything working I had to do clean install and lost everything, but no big deal I can replace most of it.

@crossg Sometime back I had the same problem and found the same instructions you gave. My problem was it said my password was not correct but It was the one I used in setup. This I am sure of and I had to redo the whole thing also. Any ideas where to go from incorect password part without having to reinstall?

I don’t know, because mine seemed to be a hardware problem. I just used my Seagate diagnostics floppy and my Seagate disk wizard, then I ran my windows boot cd and after alot of playing with it I got my computer to reboot.

Sorry I am not sure, I never use passwords so I just hit enter when it asks for the password and it works.:slight_smile: Here is more info that may help: Here and here.