Computer wont boot up - why?

someone please help…i was on the computer last night, and all of a sudden it froze up and a blue screen appeared with a message (which i dont know what it is now)
lately i have been having an issue when starting up my pc, i get the message CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad with the option of F1 or F2

i continue along and just before the computer boots up to my main screen i get the blue screen again and there is nothing i can do.
what has happened, and how do i fix it.
thank you

im hoping i got the picture to upload to show you what message i get.
i do have quite a few personal files on the computer, what will happen to them
in regards to checking for viruses, im not connected to the net with that pc, and the only thing i have added is another memory stick (identical to the other stick in there) since then i have removed it

How old is this computer? What make/model computer? Can you boot into the bios? Have you ever changed the cmos battery?

Have a look here see if any of this helps you http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

computer is about 4-5 years old, no idea of the make and model, i can boot into the bios, what should i do with that? Never changed the battery
what are my options, i thought changing the battery only got rid of the cmos/gpnv checksum bad message

thanks

In the bios try resetting everything to default, save and exit. If this pc is five years old it could be that the power supply is failing which would also give you that bad checksum message. If you have a bootable CD (a windows install disk maybe or a linux distro) try booting from it.

I had similar errors a while back and downloaded a program called Reg Cure scanned and found many errors so, I purchased it removed all the errors and my problem was solved as well as many others, I have talked to. might be worth a shot. some times you have to run it several times to get all errors removed. just thought I’d pass this along and maybe, be some help. :slight_smile: I reread your post sorry, I see your problem is boot up so the reg cure will do you no good at this point.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2232465]In the bios try resetting everything to default, save and exit. If this pc is five years old it could be that the power supply is failing which would also give you that bad checksum message. If you have a bootable CD (a windows install disk maybe or a linux distro) try booting from it.[/QUOTE]

thanks Whappo
tried that but made no difference
i do have a bootable cd, but will that wypd my hard drive? i do have family pics on there that i dont want to lose

[QUOTE=craigh;2232564]thanks Whappo
tried that but made no difference
i do have a bootable cd, but will that wypd my hard drive? i do have family pics on there that i dont want to lose[/QUOTE]

No, it won’t wipe your hard drive. You just want to see if it will boot, you don’t have to run anything. If it does boot, just power down, you won’t hurt anything. If it doesn’t boot, then maybe your power supply or some other component is failing.

Can you boot to safe mode? You might try running chkdsk /f if you can boot to safe more.

well i just opted to reinstall XP, now i have the problem of trying to get my kids phots back off the hard drive, is there any program that can do that?