Computer will not start after power outage

vbimport

:eek:
Hello, I had a power outage that lasted for 36 hrs. The power has been restored. My computer was off when we lost power. I just tried to start it and all I got was the blue LED’s on all of the cooling fans flashed and fans spun and everything shut down. I tried a different receptacle and same thing happened. I switched to a different power strip and nothing changed. I cleared eeprom and no help. Do I have a dead PSU or MB? The reset and cycle power buttons on the MB are lite up but nothing happens when I press reset. If I turn off the power switch on the PSU and turn it back on and hit cycle power on the case or MB I get the same blue LEDs flash and then nothing. PSU and MB types are listed in my sig. Hardware is about 18 mos. old.
TIA
Jim

Even though the computer was off it may still have gotten a spike if it was connected. My vote would be the PSU it is also the cheaper of the 2 to replace and check.

[QUOTE=bean55;2642047]Even though the computer was off it may still have gotten a spike if it was connected. My vote would be the PSU it is also the cheaper of the 2 to replace and check.[/QUOTE]

Similar thought here - when the electricity comes on after a power cut, it tends to cause a surge, especially when motors, pumps, etc. all come on simultaneously the moment the power is restored. During one power outage caused by our previous chest freezer developing a ground-short, a mobile phone plugged in to charge along with the display of our microwave both stopped working once we switched the RCD back on.

I also remember reading an article a while back warning to unplug all electronic items during a power-outage.

A tripp lite surge suppressor should be a minimum on all PC’s.

I would swap the PSU with a good one before buying if you can.

I would have to agree with the other poster sounds like you got a spike and the PS took it hard. Did you have some kinda surge suppression or protection on your computer side? If you didn’t before it might be a good time to get or invest in a expensive protection and not get hit the next time. I have a 40 surge suppression and even with power outages it weathers the situation very good and my printers and computers have weathered it very good. If it wasn’t your PS the other would be the Motherboard this part will be more expensive to fix as if the board went out it most likely did some damages to other components attached to it.

Yo Jim-

Why not test the PSU with the ole’ paperclip trick (bridging the black and green wires with an open paper clip).

Pull power plug from wall. Pull the 20/24 power cable from the motherboard - open a paperclip “U” and insert into the connector where the black and green wires go - then briefly turn the power back on - If the fan goes on = the PSU is working and hunt for another culprit

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0&oq=psu+paper+clicp+test&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZAG_enUS433US436&q=psu+paperclip+test&gs_upl=0l0l0l11010lllllllllll0&aqi=g4&pbx=1

(pretty pictures for oldfarts)

Hey thanks,
OCZ just instructed me to try the paperclip test. So after I insert the paperclip and turn on the power I should stick my tongue on the clip, correct?

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2642474]Hey thanks,
OCZ just instructed me to try the paperclip test. So after I insert the paperclip and turn on the power I should stick my tongue on the clip, correct?[/QUOTE]

Yo Jim-

Yup - that’ll really complete the test…

…because you won’t be alive to turn the friggin’ computer on-eh yahoser! :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

Electric shock therapy. :bigsmile:

:cool::cool:

OK seriously. I tested the PSU with a paperclip and the PSU passed, cooling fans started and ODDs were able to open/close the trays. I pulled the GPU and it’s power supplies from the MB and the computer was able to start! While I had it disconnected from the MB I connected the power supplies on the GPU and the computer will not start. I am getting some warning beeps when starting but I am not sure what they are because I have no onboard video on the MB. I do have troubleshooting code readout on the MB as soon as I can find the owners manual :eek: I will check to see if it is starting correctly :doh:. I am thinking it is indeed a GPU failure. Called EVGA and they started a RMA request. A big thank you to all.
Jim

maybe these can help: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Sounds like the spike made it through the PSU and got the GPU, that’s a real bummer.

PSU’s are cheaper than GPU’s

Sounds like you need to contact your Homeowners insurance company. They replaced a computer, two printers, a computerized sewing machine and a refrigerator on a surge from lighting.

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2642557]Sounds like you need to contact your Homeowners insurance company. They replaced a computer, two printers, a computerized sewing machine and a refrigerator on a surge from lighting.[/QUOTE]
I will do so. Thank you very much for the suggestion. :cool:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2642611]http://www.thewindowsplanet.com/1295/fix-boot-startup-problems-using-bootrec-exe-tool-windows-7.htm[/QUOTE]
Hey thanks Tim, I am purdy sure the problem is with the video card.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2642642]Hey thanks Tim, I am purdy sure the problem is with the video card.[/QUOTE]

:wink:

[QUOTE=bean55;2642550]Sounds like the spike made it through the PSU and got the GPU, that’s a real bummer.

PSU’s are cheaper than GPU’s[/QUOTE]

I have high quality UPS with over and under AVR but in new house have some very bad problems anyway. I think it may be some sort of grounding issue but am just not sure. Electricians looked at it early on just after build when we were losing light-bulbs (incandescent) and they did a bunch of thing to the system and most problems are gone but there are still problems.

I have lost 3 laser printers since moving. Every time we have power outages and it comes back on I worry. Fuser in printers / CCD in scanner seem to have been the issue.

No problems with either CIS (led) scanners or ink jet printer.

Laser printers were plugged into surge protector but not UPS.

But even my computer that is in a quality UPS seem to have been damaged by power outage / restart. I have Gigabyte X58A-UD3R and it has various sort of extra “power” related feature and after problem, system would only work stable after I disabled most of those (usb power charge, etc) and also had to flash bios back one revision (to Fg1) because the Dolby stuff enabled in next bios flash did no longer work.

I have heard of houses having bad power before but not experienced it until we bought newly built home and moved in. Very frustrating and expensive. I have given up on laser printers and now use Epson Artisan 837 instead, which seems to have no problems at all so far.

Hey Jim,

did you already replace the CMOS battery??