Computer Taken Over By A Web Theme Program - Won't Delete -

vbimport

hi:
i have upgraded my memory from 512ram to 1gb ram. but the computer is acting WEIRDLY. i bought two sticks of 256 DDR ram kingston, 333mhz. and installed it. its been weird. why? is that what it is below:
i also downloaded a web theme from net and although i deleted it that thing is there when i start my computer, and does not go away. also before i started my computer i had one windows xp and it started automatically.
now i have this - normal windows xp and restore windows xp. when i start my computer.
the normal winows xp - when i click on it that damn web theme comes up.
when i click on restore windows xp it is ok.
everything would be ok but NOW AFTER I INSTALLED THAT WEB THEME FROM NET - I have these 2 choices to make. EVERYTIME I START MY COMPUTER. how can i have my old windows xp back?
how can i get rid of that web theme.
i thought i deleted it from even windows explorer. but THAT dastradly web theme has taken over my computer.
ANYTHING ANYTHING I CAN DO. THAT WOULD GIVE ME MY OLD WINOWS XP BACK AND GET RID OF THAT WEB THEME. HELP PLEASE.

1. You upgraged to a newer ram. Possibly incompatible ram with your mainboard. Are they all the same brand/type of ram? Try other rams. Experiment with putting the rams in different dimm slots. Did you clear your cmos to reset your mainboard bios before installing the new rams? Is your bios the latest version? All of these things and more can make your windows xp desktop act screwy.
  2. You installed a new desktop web theme. Possibly spyware/adware/trojan/virus/worm, etc… Try using spybot 1.3 or latest, ad-aware se professional, hijackthis latest, latest virus checker plus latest definition files, etc… to remove the offending theme.
  3. Use JV16 PowerTools or any other legitimate registry program to try to remove the offending theme’s registries.
  4. Did you remove it using the program’s own uninstaller or via XP’s Add/Remove Program in the control panel?
  5. In your start taskbar, click on “run” and type msconfig and click ok. At the “startup” tab look for any services/programs that are running that may belong to the offending theme and uncheck it. For example names of the maker of the software/theme or theme itself may give you clues as to which is legit to uncheck. If uncertain, don’t uncheck anything. Click “apply” to make the changes and windows will restart with the changes. A msconfig screen will appear after restart. Follow the instructions if further changes need to be made.
  6. You can also make changes to the autostart or startup features of windows xp by typing “services.msc” in the “run” box of your taskbar like you did with “msconfig.” The point of making changes with either “msconfig or services.msc” is to identify if the offending theme may have corrupted your startup/autostart features of windows xp. Hostile/Malicious/Badly written programs that do this often keep reappearing even after they have been removed/deleted. They usually appear when you restart windows after every session.
  7. If all else fails, click on your start tab and go to “Accessories” and then “SystemTools” and click on “System Restore.” Read the onscreen instructions. Select the latest or most current “restore point” or “date” before you made the changes to your pc with the new ram and theme additions. Simply put, select the date that best represents the time frame when all was well.
  8. If System Restore fails, you may have to use “F8” to enter “Safe Mode” when you restart your pc to further troubleshoot the problem.
  9. Ultimately you may have to reformat windows and then install a fresh copy.

1. bought 2 separate 256 k ddr ram in 2 different boxes… my system says memory should be dual channel these were separate and they say “not dual channel compatible”.
  2. will try spybot and jvc power tools .
    let us see what happens.
    will report soon.
    thanks

fixed the web theme program. got rid of it.
now i want to test my memory. whether it is working or compatible with my system.
in system properties shows i have 1 gig of ram. I had 512 k ram before and added 2 sticks - each - 256 k ram, does this mean that the additional 512 ram that i installed is working fine? how do i test that the new ram is compatible and working in my system? i sthere a softwar eprogram that can test the compatibility of my new 512 - 2 sticks of 256k ram each? if they are working as they should in my system?

There are really no perfect solutions for fixing memory errors and incompatibilities. Most often trial and error protocols work. Most softwares for diagnosing memory problems can’t really give an “ultimate solution” for solving every error that occurs since there are so many configurations/variables/parameters/platforms, etc… involved. However, they may help you find out more about the particular problem in the immediate term. Long-term diagnosing is unpredictable since components change over time. Simply put, compatibility will change since a user may change his or her platform by upgrading or downgrading the appropriate softwares and hardwares.

Here are some links of softwares that will help you out at least for now:
http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/be_memory.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3955.html
http://www.memtest86.com/
http://www.memtest.org/

Memtest is highly regarded and very advance. Some softwares mentioned are freeware, while others are payware. Others in the forum may suggest alternatives as well. Place a thread asking other members what memory diagnosing softwares they find most useful. Opinions will vary of course.

Remember before you try any of these softwares, it is best to first do trial and error analysis. Experiment with various memory modules in various dimm slots. Make sure to clear your mainboard’s cmos first to reset your bios before installing any hardware. Make sure to upgrade to the latest bios if necessary and make note of the compability improvements listed for that latest or most recent bios revision/firmware/upgrade. Go into your bios and make the necessary changes to it to accomodate the newer rams to their respected specs. For example, if the memory is capable of dual channel, then you may have to manually tweak the memory configuration part of the bios to fully accept the newer rams’ specifications. This will depend on your ram and mainboard’s individual specifications. Some of the newer and more recent rams and mainboards automatically configure and detect the appropriate specifications without any real hassle. Consult both your ram and mainboard specs to make the correct changes in the bios. Go to your mainboard and ram websites if available and download and read the appropriate faqs/revisions/firmwares/bios upgrades/any other pertinent softwares, etc…

Generally you press “delete” once you see your computer go through its cpu and memory diagnosing stage to enter most mainboards’ bios. It may be a combination of “ctrl delete” or F1 or Tab, etc… Often times with newer boards, you’ll get direct instructions on how to get into the bios at the bottom of the screen or stage when the cpu and memory are being detected as your computer boots up.

Once the hardware troubleshooting part is done and you’re back into windows. Run dxdiag to see if most if not all of your system specs are correctly identified. Use the “run” box in your taskbar and type “dxdiag” and then click ok. In addition go into your control panel and system performance tab and then system properties to see if the cpu and ram are correctly identified. You may also have to install any newer mainboard chipset drivers if available and the improvements listed in those particular drivers have the potential to solve any real compatibility issues with either softwares or hardwares of various types.

Other softwares that may be of some importance are wintools professional, wintask professional, sisoft sandra professional 2005, pcbugdoctor, tweak xp, registry mechanic, pc doctor, spyware doctor, windows washer, spy sweeper, and many others not listed for the sake of time. I’m sure other members can recommend many more useful alternatives.