Computer stores in trouble due disappointing Windows 10 results

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Computer stores in trouble due disappointing Windows 10 results[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2010/04/dellhplaptops.jpg[/newsimage]

Because Windows 10 fails to stimulate laptop and PC sales, European computer stores make big losses. Retailers have laptops and PCs in stock that nobody wants and have to sell them with a loss. Some shops now offer buy one get two promotions.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/computer-stores-in-trouble-due-disappointing-windows-10-results-77234/](http://www.myce.com/news/computer-stores-in-trouble-due-disappointing-windows-10-results-77234/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Part of the problem is the economy in Europe.
So it’s that people aren’t buying new computers if the old one will do.
Add that to having Windows 10.
If it’s available to do it with maybe they could offer upgrades to Windows 7.
They would probably even do better offering Windows ME . :bigsmile:

You are absolutely right cholla. Add to that, a weak Norwegian kroner against U.S dollars (8.3NOK/$1) due to a low oil price an noone buys computers anymore. The math is simple, a low-end computer now costs the same as a high-end did two years ago. I usually buy much music at sites like discogs.com and gemm.com too, but even that is put on hold as the prices simply are too steep. Heck, I can not remember the dollar to be so strong ever, To give you the comparison, it usually stays at around 6.3NOK/$1
The whole computer market is experiencing a drop in this country due to the situation as even corporations prolong their investment scedule and I am more and more often asked if I can tweak the old server to make it last a little longer. Due to my long experience, known to perform “miracles” with old hardware and follow the least expensive route, who am I to let them down :slight_smile:

so you dont think it’s anything to do with Microsoft wanting to know everything from the day you were born, to your hat size and whether you had sex with the woman down the road then? the sale slump is partially to do with the economy but mostly, in my opinion, to do with Microsoft itself. and when a senior exec has to make the statement that no one should worry about what information is collected and what happens to what is collected, that’s the time to start worrying even more! Microsoft shouldn’t have or expect to have the right to spy on your personal equipment. you bought it, it’s yours! and to be able to disable peripherals that Microsoft doesn’t like? what a nerve!!

My home office laptop, which is a 6 year old HP laptop, works perfectly with Windows 10. Why on earth should i buy a new laptop to use Windows 10? :slight_smile:

Can’t wait till all those stocked laptops are going to be dumped on the market. I wonder if we can get some sweet deals.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2759880]My home office laptop, which is a 6 year old HP laptop, works perfectly with Windows 10. Why on earth should i buy a new laptop to use Windows 10? :slight_smile:

Can’t wait till all those stocked laptops are going to be dumped on the market. I wonder if we can get some sweet deals.[/QUOTE]

You took the words right out of my keyboard. All our computers are running W10 just fine so why would I spend money on hardware I don’t really need. If MS were selling W10 then I might be more inclined to buy a new laptop instead of spending $100+ each on updating old hardware.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2759880]My home office laptop, which is a 6 year old HP laptop, works perfectly with Windows 10.[/QUOTE]
I’ve see otherwise at hp forum where users were having problem left and right with Windows 10 installs and not reading the help tips the MODs were trying to get people to read before installing Windows 10. For the Savvy computer enduser that might not be a problem but the masses never seem to read before doing something they were not prepared for.

I think it’s the worlds saddest song played by the tiniest microprocessors called Intel…
Intel is greedy, DRAM companies conspired to keep dram prices high for quite a decade (and the density remained btw 2 & 32gb, wtf ?!?)… heck, even game companies have CANCELLED games being made on PC’s becuase there aren’t enough customers willing to upgrade to 4k direct-x 12 video cards… how’s that for high price backlash?!? 65% of that blame is AMD related with their $300 to $600 video cards, PFFT!

4k video is not ready for prime time as a PC/interactive montior… the refresh rates on smaller less expensive screensare horrible. You needed to pay $600+ on a 50" set to get 120 - 240 refresh rates and <8ms response lag… that’s not a big market.

While I agree windows 10 has some effect on people not upgrading… its more about what they are upgrading to (if at all)… and that is the cheapest cost equipment that will get the job done. You will see a glut of high end equipment ROT on retail shelves… it may get to the point where they will just order display models and you’ll have to special order it and wait… retailers can’t afford to take a loss the way they used to… People are trying to figure out how to live on much lower incomes. It was bound to happen that an electronics recession was coming-- starting with the high end stuff.

BTW, some laptop deals were to be had on the low end… but limited quantity… anything with decent specs popped to ~$500+ when prices for the higher specs SHOULD have been coming down, they ended up putting tablet quality processers in the low end laptops and jacking up the prices while hoping peole wouldn’t notice (intel celeron N processors… a 20 year old technology albeit consuming less power & on a physically smaller processor footprint)…

I’ve always liked computers and there was a time I’d upgrade about every 3 years.   Not anymore. My last PC made it just over four years and the current one is at 4.5 and not slowing down.  I’m going to upgrade the video card and ram and ride it for more years.

I think technology has gotten to the point where you don’t continually need speed upgrade to run the next latest thing.  They’ve finally caught up.  It’ll happen with phones/tablets too.   There had to be a point where technology caught up with what we wanted the technology to do. I think that slows down sales more than anything.

You need need a new laptop if all you do with your 5 years old laptop is surf the web, play free games, and run office type products.

[QUOTE=Zod;2759903]I’ve always liked computers and there was a time I’d upgrade about every 3 years. Not anymore. My last PC made it just over four years and the current one is at 4.5 and not slowing down. I’m going to upgrade the video card and ram and ride it for more years.

I think technology has gotten to the point where you don’t continually need speed upgrade to run the next latest thing. They’ve finally caught up. It’ll happen with phones/tablets too. There had to be a point where technology caught up with what we wanted the technology to do. I think that slows down sales more than anything.

You need need a new laptop if all you do with your 5 years old laptop is surf the web, play free games, and run office type products.[/QUOTE]
That’s what I did upgrade my board from AMD to iNtel i5 OC to 4.2ghz and it works fine and I have Windows 7x64 Ult Sp1 and MSI GTX970 OC 4g. And with the money I spent on this upgrade I doubt I want to go higher sooner. It runs fine on my IPS 27" right now and playing Pillars of Eternity and it looks sweet.

My last PC I had from 2009 until 2014 so give or take 6 yrs and I recently built another computer and purchased Windows 7 Ultimate so I’m not building or buying any new computers here in U.S.A anytime soon lol.

That is the same story in my household. my old ThinkPad x200 runs Win 10 great and my ThinkPad T500 from 2009 likewise still works great with the new OS. Both are running the old Core2 processors. The speed increase needed lies in switching to SSD and your old PC is in for a take off. My old hardware suddenly became almost zero-waitstate from switching to the new technology more than three years ago and still is. Recently I bought new SSDs for all our machines and they continue their flight.

The newer ThinkPad T410 with a four-core i7 @ 3.4GHz is of course quicker, but not enough to justify an upgrade from the P8600 and T9600 core 2 Duo processors

The old tag line I used, still applies: If it ain’t broke, why fix it and so I guess the American market can experience the same drop as the European regardless of the reasons in my last post :slight_smile: