Computer shuts down near end of encoding

Hi everyone.

There seems to be something wrong with my computer.

When I use Nero, towards the end of the encoding, the computer shuts down (goes into standby, the green light is still on the front to say power is on, but it wont turn back on. I have to hold the switch in to completly switch it off)

Upon starting the computer back up, when I check my HD space, I see I have lost around 4 GB from the lost burn file.

This only happens when I encode large files. I just encoded and burned a 700mb movie fine, no problems (this takes around 2 hours). But when I try and burn a Boxing or UFC ppv thats around 1.7 GB in size (which takes around 4 hours) it shuts down around 3 hours and 30mins into the burn.

Could it be overheating?

Thanks for everyones time.

It could be but here ask yourself this question when was the last time you opened your case and vacumed all the dust out and clean all the heat sinks? Also when was the last time you cleaned your laser lens? It could be overheating but first we need to know if your doing this maintanence first? Also what are your hardware specs???

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2242164]It could be but here ask yourself this question when was the last time you opened your case and vacumed all the dust out and clean all the heat sinks? Also when was the last time you cleaned your laser lens? It could be overheating but first we need to know if your doing this maintanence first? Also what are your hardware specs???[/QUOTE]

Hi. Thanks for you’re reply.

I’m ashamed to say it, but never:confused:

I’m useless with this kind of stuff, but guess its time to learn.

How easy is the case to open?
How do i clean the heat sinks?

So no, no maintanence done i’m sorry to say.

I’m not sure what the specs are, i’m not at home at the minute. But if you could please help me on the above questons, i can get these done when i get home, try the encode again and see if this was the problem.

There is a way to do that but I have to go back and find my links to give you a better resource. I have to get back to you on that I have to find the links to show you.

Is it easy to do?

Also, it used do shut down when i encoded smaller files, but this was because i only had 5 gb of space on the comp. But now i have 28gb, so dont think it could be this reason again

Found it the part you should look at is the part that tells you how to open the case screws first is post #6. Here a couple of links that should get you started

This last one might be helpful as well.

Doing these regular or yearly cleaning and checking your CPU heatsink making sure the heatsink material between the CPU and Heatsink is properly maintained should help dissipate heat properly. Dust is heat insulator keeping heat and preventing proper air flow over the heatsinks resulting in those components heating and failing or freezing or restarting.

Thanks for that.

I will tomorrow make sure the comp and fan are clean and see if this fixes it

Trust me most won’t do this cause they don’t realize the problem cooking inside their computer until they open and find the dust bunnies. But just some doing those regular maintance will keep it going for long time until you decide to replace your unit.

I tried opening the case but couldnt. There was only 4 screws on the back and this just made the bit where the power cable plug in loose. Anyone know how packard bells open?

But just from the back on the grill you want to see how much dust came off