Computer Shuts Down (LG GGW-H20L)

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GGW-H20L. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I built a computer a few days ago and have been having trouble with my LG blu-ray drive. Whenever I put a disk in the drive, the computer turns off. Same also happens when I plug in an IDE DVD drive. The only optical drive that seems to work is when I use an IDE CD drive.
The drive is connected via SATA to my motheboard (Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H) I know the Drive works fine because I have used it successfully on another computer. And it doesn’t seem to be a problem with the SATA ports, because my HDD works. Its not a problem with the power supply becuase it doesn’t work whether I have peripherals plugged in or not, and the PSU is 860W. Even the blank BD-RE that came with the drive causes it to shut down. I have managed to install XP through the CD drive, but my Vista Upgrade and many drivers are on DVDs, and frankly the CD drive is ugly and slow. I think that it may be a problem with the motherboard, though it says its blu-ray compatible. Help! Please! The Drive is a GGW-H20L but is no longer on the LG site, but it is very similar to the BH08 on their global site.

That sounds odd and it looks like you checked out the major components that might be the cause of shutdown. Did you check the motherboard site if their is a BIOS update?? Otherwise you if it is the motherboard you have to RMA if under warranty and get a newer revision of the motherboard.

This part is confusing? Does the drive cause it or not?? You just said it worked and then said it didn’t work???

“I built a computer a few days ago and have been having trouble with my LG blu-ray drive. Whenever I put a disk in the drive, the computer turns off. Same also happens when I plug in an IDE DVD drive. The only optical drive that seems to work is when I use an IDE CD drive.”

The computer turns off once i put in a disk, not before. The computer will usually run happily with the drive plugged in, but if a disk is inserted it turns off. I have an IDE CD drive which [I]does[/I] work though, and i have used it to install XP. My other PC, which i am typing this on, works fine with the drive, even when there is a disk in it. Answer your Question?

Welcome to CDF’s:

Did you load the drivers for the mobo?

I would, but its a DVD

Might go to the mfgr website and see if you can download them

mfgr? scratches head

[QUOTE=shamrok3;2196181]mfgr? scratches head[/QUOTE]The company that peddles your mobo

There’s bios Updates, which i have, but thats it. Also the comp isn’t connecting to internet, so i have to download on this comp put on flash drive and then load on new comp. But thats a different problem which isn’t relevant

All i am getting at is your mobo has no drivers for the SATA controller if you have not installed them.

Hmm, maybe, but my HDD works and its a SATA, and IDE dvd drives don’t work either

Try that drive in another pc then.

I have, the blu-ray works fine in a different computer, seems like the problem may be the PSU. Will contact if I solve the problem.

It’s the PSU and/or the computer gets too hot. (BUT it’s really strange if it’s a 860W PSU!)

Apparently thats the max power, its actual power is something more like 400-450W.