Computer restarting randomly

vbimport

Hi guys.
For the past 4-5 days, my computer is randomly restarting or freezing up or having BSOD. The problem persists till I restart it 3-4 times. Then it functions properly till the time it is shut down. It also functions properly in Safe Mode. On checking Event Viewer I saw that one of the reasons for the problem is given as 'The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start". Two other reasons which are also there quite a few times are “DCOM got error “1084” attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments “” in order to run the server” “and The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
CSC
DfsC”

What can be the possible cause and what do I need to do to fix it? I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Amd Athlon II processor, 4 GB RAM.

Thanks in advance.

One of the most frequent causes is a faulty RAM stick. Can you run memtest to check this?

Another possible cause is a damaged hard disk. A test of your system drive is anyway not a total waste of time even if is not the cause of your problem.

Another possible cause is a faulty PSU.

Another possibility is an error somewhere in operative system (it is a real nightmare to find exactly where is the problem :doh: ). Try to reinstall all drivers, often this solve any issue :slight_smile:

Do you overclock? Try to reset all BIOS setting to default and see if this solve.

Make sure it is set to BSOD instead of restarting, and write a dump file. Find a little program called “Bluescreen View” which will read the dump file and tell you what process most likely caused the BSOD.

Hardware issues, as mentioned, are usually RAM

Hey thanks for the replies. No I don’t overclock. And I am not having BSOD anymore. Just the PC freezing 2-3 minutes after start up. It functions alright after about 3 restarts. It doubt if it is hardware related. In that case won’t the problem have persisted irrespective of the number of times I restart the machine? I still haven’t done a memtest though. Will be running it shortly. Anything else that I need to do at the moment? Oh and how can I check if my hard disk or psu is damaged?

Every manufacturer produces a specific tool to check hard disks. Check in HDD properties what disk you have and then download the tool from manufacturer web site :slight_smile:

I don’t know how to check the PSU. The easiest way to exclude it as cause is trying another PSU on the machine if you have a spare one

If the problem does not occur in safe mode, then there is a good chance, some driver or even a piece of software might be the culprit.
Latest Windows Updates are installed?

Michael

I have. And also as I have mentioned the problem goes away after a few restarts and the PC runs for as long as I keep it on. But the problem is I have not changed any of the drivers when the problem started or installed a new software. Can a driver/software related problem start all of a sudden? I think I should mention here that my Kaspersky anti-virus license is about to expire and showing a reminder every time I log on. If I remember correctly the problem started on the same day as the reminders. Can anything be in it?

Sure things can just suddenly get corrupted and now your PC does weird stuff till you find the issue or reinstall everything.
My older version of win7 32 would not start the explorer GUI that everything under windows uses so I’d have to reboot, and go into the task manager and start it manually. After a few tries it usually would stay working till I rebooted again. I finally had to post the issue to one of the big windows seven user forums and one of their main guys took my error logs and things I sent him and figured out what was broken and made me a custom file that restored the broken bits. He said it took him while to find the issues but he did and it worked great after that.
if it’s just a bit of corruption sometimes a simple system restore to a known working date can fix it too, but it might mess with Kaspersky has the dates will get messed up and corrupt it’s data base, I use it too.
The Microsoft Security Essentials is also a very good firewall and anti virus if you don’t have the money to update your Kaspersky right now. I have used it before and it worked well and didn’t bog things down when I couldn’t find a good enough deal to update my copy that expired.

Hey Dartman.
Thanks for the info. Can you please tell me which forum you posted to or for that matter what you had done to solve the problem? I already have bought a new version of Kaspersky. Just waiting for this one to expire, which is in 9 days. It’s so difficult to make out if it’s the hardware or the software. I have a dual-boot system and I booted in the XP a while back. There also it hang. Then I noticed that the PC freezes even in the OS selection screen and everything gets fixed after I have restarted for the 4th time. So I am clueless as to whether it is the hardware or the software. This has become a pattern. And so annoying at that.

Wow there is so much that can be wrong and so little at the same time. A few years ago I had a problem where my PC would freeze up at any time. I tried everything till it came down to the CPU. My CPU was bad. Intel exchanged it for free. After all this I always keep spare parts around just for trouble shooting ( 1 stick of RAM, HDD and P/S )

Here is how I would trouble shoot this.

1. Remove Kspersky from your PC and see if that’s the problem
  2. Try going to one stick of RAM at a time.
  3. Find or borrow a HDD and do a basic install of windows
  4. Put your HDD in a different PC

See if you have a good enough friend to let you swap parts around in their PC

use crystal diskinfo to determine if your hdd or one of your hdds is failing.

if it’s ok, use system restore to 1-2 weeks ago.

happend to me with a underrated power PSU.

[QUOTE=ajd112;2634077]Hey Dartman.
Thanks for the info. Can you please tell me which forum you posted to or for that matter what you had done to solve the problem? I already have bought a new version of Kaspersky. Just waiting for this one to expire, which is in 9 days. It’s so difficult to make out if it’s the hardware or the software. I have a dual-boot system and I booted in the XP a while back. There also it hang. Then I noticed that the PC freezes even in the OS selection screen and everything gets fixed after I have restarted for the 4th time. So I am clueless as to whether it is the hardware or the software. This has become a pattern. And so annoying at that.[/QUOTE]

You are correct it’s either Software or Hardware, and it seems it started with Kaspersky running out. Having a Dual Boot System makes it a little more complicated. Uninstall that Anti-Virus, and see how it runs. If you still have a problem, I would say you don’t have a stable System. I would Format and reload everything. If your C: is older than 3 years and not Seagate or WD a new HDD is called for. You guys like to use Cloning Software, and this is what happens when you do. So I would recommend Clean Loads of your Dual Boot Systems. :cool:

[QUOTE=ajd112;2634077]Hey Dartman.
Thanks for the info. Can you please tell me which forum you posted to or for that matter what you had done to solve the problem? I already have bought a new version of Kaspersky. Just waiting for this one to expire, which is in 9 days. It’s so difficult to make out if it’s the hardware or the software. I have a dual-boot system and I booted in the XP a while back. There also it hang. Then I noticed that the PC freezes even in the OS selection screen and everything gets fixed after I have restarted for the 4th time. So I am clueless as to whether it is the hardware or the software. This has become a pattern. And so annoying at that.[/QUOTE]
Sorry for not posting the link sooner http://www.sevenforums.com/. These guys are pretty sharp IF it’s a OS problem after all, if it’s not your just going to have to track down the bad part and replace it. If it does it in any OS you have I’d lean more towards a hardware issue but you can search that forum and see if anyone has similar issues, and if not post your problem and they might be able to get you going if it’s just OS corruption. The PSU idea is valid if you’ve added a lot of goodies lately or it’s getting older as sometimes they drift out of spec as they age and if it’s a good one they’ll tend to shut down when overloaded to save the rest of your goodies from getting cooked when the voltages go nuts.