Computer reboots while burning/ripping (LG GSA-H55L)

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GSA-H55L. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi all,

This started this afternoon, I successfully burned 2 data dvd but on the third one my computer rebooted for no apparant reason. At first I thought it was because of a file so I ran a simulation in Nero. It proved me wrong.

I then updated my chipset and raid/ata/sata drivers as well as reinstalling the drive. It did it again.

Now I did manage to rip the CD (it rebooted after ripping the first 2 songs before I updated) but when I tried to burn the data DVD it did it agin

Here are my specs, don’t laugh I know my comp is old :wink:

XP SP2
Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8ghz)
1 1gig of memory (sorry don’t remember the brand but it is not generic)
Asus A8V Deluxe
Chipset VIA K8T800Pro
ATI 800XT AIW
Audigy 2
PSU: Antec Phantom 500
Drive: LG H55L made external (1 month old)

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil

How old is that Antec PS? I had the same problem once and it turned out
to be the PS even though it was only a couple of months old it would still
reboot when doing a rip or doing a re-encode replaced it and all was well. :iagree:

Getit,

The PS is about 3 year old, but my burner has it’s own power?

Thing is. I do video for a living so I am constantly rendering this or that, I would assume that since I put this so much stress on the PS for video purposes my PS would be fine.

I know that burning takes up a lot of power but so is encoding and rendering.

That being said would you still think that this could be the issue? and if so how could a PS run fine under normal circumstances but fail when put under heavy loads, I would assume that these things either work or not, they don’t “fade” over time…

Thanks

Phil